Looking to Put on Muscle

I’m about 123 pounds and 5’ 7". Could I get an idea of what my body fat % is?

And if I want to put on muscle, should I bulk then cut?

Probably 18%. It’s hard to tell, because your frame is small, and you don’t have a whole lot of muscle mass.

Yes, you should bulk. Do you have a plan?

Bulk. Once you put on muscle, your body fat % will go down

Example–

100 lbs with 20 lbs fat is 20% bf.
120 lbs with 20 lbs fat is 10% bf.
140 lbs with 20 lbs fat is 5% bf.

Besides, the more muscle you have the easier it is to cut off the body fat. There are exceptions to this (obese people, etc), but you are just skinny-fat.

You also need a plan like Otep says.

what the bone and fat -

You need to exercise… you are skinny-fat.

[quote]kinein wrote:
what the bone and fat -

You need to exercise… you are skinny-fat. [/quote]

2X.

and EAT!!!

People should stop thinking in bulking and cutting terms. Just eat enough to grow and work your ass off in the gym.

After 2 years when you’ve gained 50 lbs of muscle then you could consider lowering your bodyfat.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Example–

[/quote]

???

I know what you meant, but I think you need to get some more sleep.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Example–

Besides, the more muscle you have the easier it is to cut off the body fat. There are exceptions to this (obese people, etc), but you are just skinny-fat.

You also need a plan like Otep says.[/quote]

I see the point you are trying to make, but your math is pretty bad.

120 lbs with 20 lbs fat is 17% bf.
140 lbs with 20 lbs fat is 14% bf.

[quote]anoddparadigm wrote:
Aragorn wrote:

Example–

You also need a plan like Otep says.

I see the point you are trying to make, but your math is pretty bad.

120 lbs with 20 lbs fat is 17% bf.
140 lbs with 20 lbs fat is 14% bf.

[/quote]

Ahahaha. Yes I need sleep. I went to bed this morning at 7 AM after pulling two all nighters.

OK, I’ll bulk. But if I put on muscle, my bf % will go down because there’s the same amount of fat in a bigger volume, but won’t I still have a giant flab of fat over my abdominal section even if I put on some muscle on my arms, chest, and legs?

[quote]Gigaman.EXE wrote:
OK, I’ll bulk. But if I put on muscle, my bf % will go down because there’s the same amount of fat in a bigger volume, but won’t I still have a giant flab of fat over my abdominal section even if I put on some muscle on my arms, chest, and legs?[/quote]

yep, but if you have a little gut and big legs, arms, chest and back you won’t look very fat at all. When I’m gainign weight I start cutting back when I look chubby in my clothes. No need to gain excessive ammounts of bodyfat. Although this is the second time I’ve been working on gaining weight (cut for powerlifting). I learned a lot the first time so I know myself a little bit better.

You can minimize the fat gain by eating clean healthy foods and not pigging out on junk while gaining weight.

Would it be good to build muscle with my current diet (which is my old one with junk foods cut out, and where I don’t eat due to emotional hunger) if I only add whey protein to it?

Would it be good to build muscle with my current diet (which is my old one with junk foods cut out, and where I don’t eat due to emotional hunger) if I only add whey protein to it?[/quote]

Probably not. It depends on what you were eating before.
Post up what you usually eat in a day.

Random Asian foods (I’m Asian). I doubt it’d be helpful to tell you all. I don’t even know most of their English names anyway.

I’ve heard that the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is and that you’ll burn fat even if you’re just building muscle. Is this true?

yes that is true.

Random Asian foods (I’m Asian). I doubt it’d be helpful to tell you all. I don’t even know most of their English names anyway.

I’ve heard that the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is and that you’ll burn fat even if you’re just building muscle. Is this true?[/quote]

Yes it’s true, but not in the way you’re thinking.
An extra pound of muscle will raise your base metabolic rate 10-50kcal. However when BUILDING muscle, your body needs to have taken in more than it spends, so it can have some to invest in building new muscle tissue.

MOST of this extra caloric surplus will be spent making muscle. Some of it will go straight to your thighs. That’s just the way of things.

Fortunately, you can always diet it off later.

I’m looking less for the names of the individual dishes, and more for the aggregate weight of protiens, carbohydrates, fats, and calories. So, for example, lets assume you ate something like this:

Breakfast: A huge plate of rice and a little chicken
Lunch: A huge plate of rice and some vegetables
Dinner: A thick bowl of phuh with bits of chicken in it.
Late night snack: Three tacos from taco bell.

I’d assume you had about 2200 kcal and maybe 40g of protein. I would then tell you to eat more protein (meat and whey), more fats (peanuts and Extra Virgin Olive Oil), and train hard.

OK, this is my last question (hopefully) for a while. In this picture: http://i27.tinypic.com/98eyq8.jpg
my scapula (or whatever that bone is), is sticking out of my back. What muscle could I build to prevent the appearance of that bone? And what kind of exercise can I use to train that muscle?

serratus, rear delts, middle and lower traps, teres major.

ie deadlifts, barbell rows, chins, facepulls, pushups