T Nation

Looking to Increase My Bench

Working out with just 190 200 225 want to reach max of 300 in one month. I have no spotter. Any good program for this.

I was doing ten tens of 125 now I am doing the alt of 190 200 225.

I have thought about 5 sets of 10 @175

75lb increase in one month? Robot arms?

Check out the recent article “Limiting Factors” by Tony Gentilcore. In it, he talks about 90% training, which he says will help your strength and size.

[quote]uptruck wrote:
Working out with just 190 200 225 want to reach max of 300 in one month. I have no spotter. Any good program for this.

I have thought about 5 sets of 10 @175[/quote]

What exactly does that mean? You were doing ten sets of ten with 125 and now you do something with 190, 200 and 225 pounds? So what is your max, 225?

It is highly unlikely you can do it. it is to much of an increase if your max is 225. First 5 sets of 10 is not good for maximizing strength gains. look at routines with sets of 5 reps and 2’s or 3’s over time. If you want to increase your strength make sure you have someone to spot.

When using heavy weights and low reps form and technique are important and strength can fall of quickly.

Not doubt that over time you can get to 300

Dude… strength gain wont come with high reps nor tons of sets. i dunt workout with a spotter over the summer because there usually no1 around and plus in an adult now. i do not recommned that!!! but if y0ou have to workout without a spotter dumb the load, by not usuing clamps and tilt the bar to one side and let the weights fall off then the other side will have a ripple effect and fall off. it feels alot better than ttrying to roll the bar off.

back to the str. problem, its gonna take more than a month!!

You have obviously never been under a super maximal weight.

Try dock some rack lockouts with 130% of your max and you’ll get an idea of how heavy it is.

That kind of jump in a month isn’t likely.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
That kind of jump in a month isn’t likely.[/quote]

Even with robot arms?

[quote]uptruck wrote:

I have thought about 5 sets of 10 @175[/quote]

10x10 aka German Volume Training amongst other names [Vince Gironda used it too way back when] has its place. But its place is more of a size enhancement than maximal strength. The key to strength is pushing the limit of where you currently are.

You probably should look at something more along the lines of 7-10 sets of 3 once a week and the other time max out [difficult without a spotter]. Not exactly Westside but I think your body could handle this for a month or longer and then we’ll see where you are at.

You wouldn’t need a spotter if you bench in a power rack and are able to set the pins just below where you can touch the bar to your chest.

If you don’t have access to a power rack, or can’t afford one, you could also use adjustable saw horses, as long as they’re strong enough to hold the weight you’re using.

I’d strongly not recommend benching without a spotter of some sort.

Dropping the weights off the ends of the bar would work, as said above, and is still better than rolling it down to your lap, but it can still hurt, and cause injury.

yes maxI use is 225 @3-5depending on day at work yes I use the weight un clamped I like it that way. I found it also forces equal force on lift and let down.

Thanks that makes sense to me, easy enough to understand. In always reach for the highest amount possible and usually I can make it, if not I am happy with what I achieved.

I do,do things as safely as possible.

Sometimes I start with a 3 sets of 10 reps. Every week I add 10 to 15 lbs, 3 sets, until I reach a one rep max. I also do close grip 3sets 6 reps and dumbbell presses 3 sets 6 reps. I’ll bench on mon then do 5x5 explosive reps with 50% to 60% of my 1rep max on thurs. Works great for me.

First, I’d read a lot of what coach Poliquin and the Westside folks have written on the BP.

I went from a 225 to a 305 in about 2 months using the power rack. After a proper warm-up I went for a PB everytime. Say I’d hit 295 and bomb on the 305 attempt.

I’d still do heavy singles and/or triples at 90-95% of my 1RM. I also used static holds at 150% or more of my 1RM. My stick is coming off the chest. So after a proper warmup I put the safety bars in the rack to the proper point and pushed hard. After 5-10 sec. of holding the weight your arms will shake b/c the CNS is on overload.

I did that in the 2nd, 3rd and lockout ranges. By the time I hit my 305 PB I was using 405 in the lockout range. That really helped my brain to accept and push past mental barriers to certain weights.

Proper rest is also important. Say 3-5 minutes b/w sets. Poliquin’s writings turned me on to this fact as I was too pumped and would improperly overtrain. After learning from his writings, I was able to properly overtrain then take off for 5 days. When I came back the 305 lift was mine.

Also, the chain training from Westside really helped me to overcome sticking points at all points in the lift. Some gyms don’t like (aka understand) the science behind the chains so be sure to ask around for gyms that allow it. I hope this helps you. As for me, it’s time for a run to 350.

First, I’d read a lot of what coach Poliquin and the Westside folks have written on the BP.

I went from a 225 to a 305 in about 2 months using the power rack. After a proper warm-up I went for a PB everytime. Say I’d hit 295 and bomb on the 305 attempt. I’d still do heavy singles and/or triples at 90-95% of my 1RM.

I also used static holds at 150% or more of my 1RM. My stick is coming off the chest. So after a proper warmup I put the safety bars in the rack to the proper point and pushed hard. After 5-10 sec. of holding the weight your arms will shake b/c the CNS is on overload.

I did that in the 2nd, 3rd and lockout ranges. By the time I hit my 305 PB I was using 405 in the lockout range. That really helped my brain to accept and push past mental barriers to certain weights.

Proper rest is also important. Say 3-5 minutes b/w sets. Poliquin’s writings turned me on to this fact as I was too pumped and would improperly overtrain. After learning from his writings, I was able to properly overtrain then take off for 5 days. When I came back the 305 lift was mine.

Also, the chain training from Westside really helped me to overcome sticking points at all points in the lift. Some gyms don’t like (aka understand) the science behind the chains so be sure to ask around for gyms that allow it. I hope this helps you. As for me, it’s time for a run to 350.

Get a bench shirt and spend a month learning to use it.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Get a bench shirt and spend a month learning to use it.[/quote]

He would still have to be able to lockout the weight.

Which, with no training in the upper range (no board pressing, etc). I doubt.