Looking to Get Back Into Training

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

breakfast: Eggs, sausages, beans, bacon, potato waffles.

Will probably mix that up and have eggs/toast/protein shake one day and porridge w/ berries/nuts in it & protein shake on another.

lunch: Steak, Chicken or Fish, about 12oz? with rice, potatoes or pasta.

dinner: Same as above, different choices from what I had at lunch. Occassionally I’d probably have a huge bowl of spaghetti bolongese because I love that stuff.

Have a snack between each meal; maybe hardboiled eggs or a protein shake with lots of stuff in it; such as eggs, porridge, peanut butter - Just something thats a quick 500-700 cals and I can take around with me during the day.

I’ll probably be eating more chicken than anything since it’s cheaper than steak/fish.

[/quote]

Good grief man, whats with the heart attack breakfast !

EGGS ! Dirt cheap and nutritious !

Breakfast:
3-4 Eggs
2 Scoops Whey Protein
1 Cup Blueberries

Lunch:
Your meat is fine.
Drop the carbs pre gym, green veg is your friend use it :slight_smile:

Dinner:
Cool

For your snack what i used to do is:

1/2 Tub Cottage Cheese
2-3 Tablespoons Natural Peanut Butter.

Some Tips:

Coconut Oil: Its solid so just put onto meal.

Olive Oil: Cheap calories :smiley:

If you can tolerate it, Apple Cider Vinegar on every meal except p/w will lower the Insulin response (from ct and Berardi)

If you dont follow my snack DO follow it before bed.

As a fellow Englander i WELL advise Vitamin D, theres just to many good things associated with it 3000-5000 IU gel caps get a.s.a.p.

Should get you started untill you can decide if you want to get bigger or lose the unwanted baggage.

As i said, don’t worry it’s only a few kgs your long term health is ALOT more important than a short term gain of a few kgs.

:slight_smile:

[quote]300andabove wrote:
I would think anyone who goes to the gym wanting to improve themselves would at least merit SOME respect ?
[/quote]

Sure.

3 months with a shoulder injury? Sounds like a GREAT time to really hit the Leg Press and Hack Squat machine. Sounds like a GREAT time to work Glute/Hams. Sounds like a GREAT time to pull a sled, start a conditioning routine. Sounds like an opportunity to add some size to the coveted calves. (“He ain’t got much for delts, BUT LOOK AT THOSE CALVES…”).

That’s all I could think of in 20 seconds or so.

Look, I know devastating back (discs in lumbar) injury. Had one less than 2 years ago and had 3 docs tell me I’d never squat or DL again (doing 400+ now). I couldn’t hardly walk for 2 weeks, but still went to the gym to move around, stretch, mobilize, bodyweight stuff. Couldn’t walk, but I could ‘hang’ and pull myself up.

There’s motivation for and dedication to improvement, and then there are just excuses.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
300andabove wrote:
I would think anyone who goes to the gym wanting to improve themselves would at least merit SOME respect ?

Sure.

3 months with a shoulder injury? Sounds like a GREAT time to really hit the Leg Press and Hack Squat machine. Sounds like a GREAT time to work Glute/Hams. Sounds like a GREAT time to pull a sled, start a conditioning routine. Sounds like an opportunity to add some size to the coveted calves. (“He ain’t got much for delts, BUT LOOK AT THOSE CALVES…”).

That’s all I could think of in 20 seconds or so.

Look, I know devastating back (discs in lumbar) injury. Had one less than 2 years ago and had 3 docs tell me I’d never squat or DL again (doing 400+ now). I couldn’t hardly walk for 2 weeks, but still went to the gym to move around, stretch, mobilize, bodyweight stuff. Couldn’t walk, but I could ‘hang’ and pull myself up.

There’s motivation for and dedication to improvement, and then there are just excuses.[/quote]

Agreed, but as i said re asking CW for bulking tips im going to take a bodybuilders advice…

Same way if im injured im going to listen to the doctors they OBVIOUSLY know the human body better than i do.

My mother is a nurse as are my 2 sisters (all different areas) if they caught me training injured they would SHOOT me.

Theres a time for everything, sometimes its better to lose a few kgs than risk making a situation worse and thats ME saying this and im obsessed with my weight going up (well was now)

Professor X wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Hm. I had a minor rotator cuff tear in my shoulder from benching and it didn’t stop me from busting my ass in the gym, even though everyone I knew told me to take it easy. I realize it was very stupid of me but I just couldn’t force myself to ‘take it easy’. Quitting training because you felt a burning sensation in your shoulder? LOL.

Exactly.

Any advice we give is pointless. He will get fatigued and feel “burning” again and quit for another year.

Damn it…my typing finger feels a little achy…

Come now, making fun of the guy is HARDLY productive… he came for help not ridicule …

But to each their own i suppose, i don’t see why smart comments are needed when the guy was clearly injured… but if its what you like doing then off with you.

[/quote]

Yeah, at least he’s getting back into lifting. He’s seen the error of his ways, so to speak.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
300andabove wrote:
Professor X wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Hm. I had a minor rotator cuff tear in my shoulder from benching and it didn’t stop me from busting my ass in the gym, even though everyone I knew told me to take it easy. I realize it was very stupid of me but I just couldn’t force myself to ‘take it easy’. Quitting training because you felt a burning sensation in your shoulder? LOL.

Exactly.

Any advice we give is pointless. He will get fatigued and feel “burning” again and quit for another year.

Come now, making fun of the guy is HARDLY productive… he came for help not ridicule …

But to each their own i suppose, i don’t see why smart comments are needed when the guy was clearly injured… but if its what you like doing then off with you.

Yeah, at least he’s getting back into lifting. He’s seen the error of his ways, so to speak.
[/quote]

He has? Look, I get that some of you want to be “website fairies” and grant special greetings and wishes to every random question asked here, but when some guy claims he quit for an entire year due to some “discomfort” that no doctor can even diagnose as a true injury, you all are saying no bells start ringing in your heads? That is no clue that the person you are speaking to might not be very dedicated at all?

I can think of hundreds of instances where I would go out of my way to help someone…and this is NOT one of them.

Find a good personal trainer. I hate to say this but at this point rep ranges set ranges and program design is not your problem. If your lifting correctly and with proper concentration you will get bigger using the program you outlined just as you will with the standard push pulls. You can’t get stronger by getting weaker, if you take 3 months off you should be fixed or no where your shoulder is in getting fixed.

It sounds like you have shoulder flexibility issues that may have gotten worse(similar to frozen shoulder), that you can make worse by minimizing shoulder use. Proper exercise selection will relieve this and you can still get bigger and stronger the whole time.

I must be unable to read because all this fuss over 3 months off seems to be a little overboard. If 3 months off makes you a fairy Kevin Levrone and many others must be the pussy of all pussies.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Find a good personal trainer. I hate to say this but at this point rep ranges set ranges and program design is not your problem. If your lifting correctly and with proper concentration you will get bigger using the program you outlined just as you will with the standard push pulls. You can’t get stronger by getting weaker, if you take 3 months off you should be fixed or no where your shoulder is in getting fixed.

It sounds like you have shoulder flexibility issues that may have gotten worse(similar to frozen shoulder), that you can make worse by minimizing shoulder use. Proper exercise selection will relieve this and you can still get bigger and stronger the whole time.

I must be unable to read because all this fuss over 3 months off seems to be a little overboard. If 3 months off makes you a fairy Kevin Levrone and many others must be the pussy of all pussies.[/quote]

This guy took A YEAR OFF, not three months.

I think he changed his op slightly.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
300andabove wrote:
Professor X wrote:
gutshot wrote:

Exactly.

He has? Look, I get that some of you want to be “website fairies” and grant special greetings and wishes to every random question asked here, but when some guy claims he quit for an entire year due to some “discomfort” that no doctor can even diagnose as a true injury, you all are saying no bells start ringing in your heads? That is no clue that the person you are speaking to might not be very dedicated at all?

I can think of hundreds of instances where I would go out of my way to help someone…and this is NOT one of them.[/quote]

I didn’t quit for a year

I haven’t trained properly for a year, because of discomfort in many exercises I couldn’t form together a solid upper body routine. I trained legs just fine (except no squats or any deadlift variations)

I stopped for 3 months when my doctor advised me to do it.

Quoting self:

So I haven’t trained at all in 3 months, and not properly since christmas in 2007, due to a shoulder problem.

Properly meaning hard and heavy for all body parts. Not pussy footing around doing remedial shit for my upper body all the time that didn’t seem to help (since I was probably doing it wrong)

There are 2 things I don’t trust or care to ever know my (regular) doctor’s opinion of:

1. Training
  2. Nutrition

Next time, I’d shop around for more opinions (IIWY/IMHO).

chimera182 wrote:
300andabove wrote:
Professor X wrote:
gutshot wrote:

Exactly.

I can think of hundreds of instances where I would go out of my way to help someone…and this is NOT one of them.[/quote]

I’d originally read that he said he took three month off, not a year. Perhaps he will quit again, but at least at the moment he’s trying and he’s more articulate than most posters around here. I understand that there are hundreds of instance that don’t deserve serious responses, but I think this IS one of them. At least he’s not talking about cutting down to 120 for hawt abz.

chimera182 wrote:
300andabove wrote:
Professor X wrote:
gutshot wrote:

Exactly.

But nothing is achieved in ridiculing him. I think only two options make sense here. Help him. or don’t say anything.

[quote]Invictica wrote:

But nothing is achieved in ridiculing him. I think only two options make sense here. Help him. or don’t say anything.[/quote]

HA, if you did that you would cut the forum posts down to 1/100 of its size.

Invictica wrote:

But nothing is achieved in ridiculing him. I think only two options make sense here. Help him. or don’t say anything.

[/quote]

Sad but true.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
Professor X wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
300andabove wrote:
Professor X wrote:
gutshot wrote:

Exactly.

I can think of hundreds of instances where I would go out of my way to help someone…and this is NOT one of them.

But nothing is achieved in ridiculing him. I think only two options make sense here. Help him. or don’t say anything.[/quote]

Invictica hit the nail on the head if you ask me. How does bashing this guy make us or him better?

It’s wasted time.

Invictica wrote:

[/quote]

… not necessarily a bad thing?

[quote]alit4 wrote:

… not necessarily a bad thing?[/quote]

Ya i know :slight_smile:

Good amount of UK’ers on this thread !

Sac up.

My shoulder was fucked up, doctors told me I could have surgery, would have less pain, but maybe never regain the strength in that shoulder, or i could find ways to strengthen it that didnt hurt.

So i didnt barbell bench, OH barbell press, upright row, or do anything behind the neck for a year and half.

But i didnt stop training. You pussed out, admit it, geej, ya could have done a shit load of training that doesnt even involve moving your shoulder.

Best of luck though, you just lost a year of training, just thinking about that should be enough to light a fire under your ass.

Once again it was 3 months, I just did what I was advised to do.

If i had a broken leg, I would of trained, or a broken arm. Because I knew what would of been wrong, and what I could or couldn’t do.

I didn’t know what was wrong most of the time, so I didn’t want to fuck anything up.

The doctor said I had ‘capsulitis’ and told me take 3-4 months off so I took off 3.

Anyway, I’m going to be doing push/pull as wrote by TC, probably split differently since I don’t want to do heavy deadlifts the day after heavy squats.

Thanks all for the advice and motivation (if not intended)

If any one wants to give any advice or guidelines with what I’m doing my Training log will be here:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/muscle_building_log?pageNo=0#2548996

If I miss a training day feel free to call me out as much as you want.