Looking to Gain Size

Hey all I’m 19 and looking to gain size. Currently 163, standing 5’10. 7%bodyfat.
Calorie intake : 3500- 5000 a day. ( im a college student, its hard to be perfect.)
Taking a Protein power with a carbohydrate blend 2x a day.

Been lifting the past 2 years with a much higher intensity, however my progress, from my point of view unacceptable.
Bench is struggling, I do the movement correctly as Dave Tate demonstrated. still plateau at a plate 25.
Squatting is par… 225 is my max.
Deadlift is 315 at max

Constantly reading articles here on T Nation, open to new new advice always. Have Leg, Back, Chest, Arm, Shoulder days. Lift at least 4 times a week.
So… any opinions?
Also Im avoiding all creatine, im allergic to that and beta alanine

How is someone allergic to creatine? It’s in your body and in every living animal protein you consume (tho in small amounts).

What are your goals? Be more specific then “gain mass” may it be quantitative with desired strength numbers. Perhaps your training style does not reflect what you are trying to achieve in the gym.

I doubt it’s an allergy, but I do know of some people who do bloat up a lot more than others, and if there is glutamine added to the formula, there may be some GI disturbances if you’re sensitive to wheat products.

Sorry, Allergy is the wrong word. I do react though when taking high doses, rashes and red blotches on skin, surprisingly little bloating. Regarding wheat allergy my mother is hyperglycemic, i could posses that trait.
My goals are to add muscle all around while increasing my lifts, simple as that ( in theory haha).
Thanks for the replies.

If you are eating 3500-5000 Kcal /day you shouldn’t have a problem gaining if 163lbs. I think you are over estimating your caloric intake.

The fact that you even know what your 1RM tells me that you are lifting heavier weights then you should, lower all those weights you currently use and focus on intensity/frequency/volume. I mean how many fucken BB’s talk about there 1RM’s on this site? Or in general?

Also,

inb4 somebody tells him to do starting strength.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
If you are eating 3500-5000 Kcal /day you shouldn’t have a problem gaining if 163lbs. I think you are over estimating your caloric intake.[/quote]

this ^

Mat’

I doubt you’re 7% bodyfat or taking in that many calories. Those two things just don’t go together and no one eats that many calories and still ends up in a deficit.

Simplify your program. Take out half the accessory lifts and put your compounds into push/pull days and focus on strengthening each of those lifts. Which should be easy since you’d of removed some lifts that are unneccessary for someone of your size and going to a push/pull will allow a little more frequency on those big lifts.

Simple.

Oh and eat more.

[quote]Lolkema wrote:
Which should be easy since you’d of removed some lifts that are unneccessary for someone of your size[/quote]

which lifts are they?

[quote]optheta wrote:
The fact that you even know what your 1RM tells me that you are lifting heavier weights then you should, lower all those weights you currently use and focus on intensity/frequency/volume. I mean how many fucken BB’s talk about there 1RM’s on this site? Or in general?

Also,

I dont lift heavier than I should, I just decided to find my 1RM. I didn’t post it to brag about it, I posted them to show where my strengths at. Obviously Im a stronger puller than pusher, maybe that indicates a muscle imbalance? idk
Technique is number 1 before i ever move up in weight.

inb4 somebody tells him to do starting strength.[/quote]

[quote]Lolkema wrote:
I doubt you’re 7% bodyfat or taking in that many calories. Those two things just don’t go together and no one eats that many calories and still ends up in a deficit.

Simplify your program. Take out half the accessory lifts and put your compounds into push/pull days and focus on strengthening each of those lifts. Which should be easy since you’d of removed some lifts that are unneccessary for someone of your size and going to a push/pull will allow a little more frequency on those big lifts.

Simple.

Oh and eat more.[/quote]

lol do not take out your accessory lifts, lolLOlololoLol0llol0l

Never knew that certain BB exercises were unneccessary for someone of a certain size…

Hey Jak.I think we all share the desire for immediate gratification.From what you describe,you seem to be a young natural athlete making gain’s in a maybe slow,but your still doing well. Jak im older and even at my age,i want thing’s and at times feel like im being counterproductive.My friend all bodybuilder’s want instant growth and strength,hence,anabolic steroid’s? I thing that helped me when i was your age.I got a good trainer/nutritionist and i set a small goal? In my case,it was a Novice bodybuilding contest.Jak would be really inspired to actualize your goal.All the best my young friend john

Good advice, johnny k53. BE CONSISTENT!!! When I was a skinny teen, i ate shitloads of food, on weekends. I trained really hard and heavy… every other month. I stayed skinny until I met Gunter Schliercamp(sp?) when I was 20 and realized that muscle is a lifestyle, not just something you do every now and again.

The gains don’t come unless you are eating good every day and putting in the right amount of gym time. This might piss some people off, but as far as bodybuilding goes, the specific routine you follow isn’t nearly as important as the effort you put into it. HIT, MountainDog, Starting Strength, they’re all good. Shit, even Arnolds high volume plan is good for adding size, providing you eat and sleep enough.

Thanks John and Blue, patience is key