T Nation

Looking to Gain Muscle

I'm looking to gain more muscle mass. I'm an electrician, so I find I'm doing a lot of physical activity throughout the day and I've dropped a couple of pounds.

I really don't want to lose anymore weight. I'm looking to do more of a clean bulk. Gain as much muscle as possible with minimal fat gain. I've tried eating more, but I feel like it's just not doing the trick... Maybe eat even more? I feel like I will need to start meal prepping and really tracking my calories in order to make gains..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks!

[quote]Aches89 wrote:
I’m looking to gain more muscle mass. I’m an electrician, so I find I’m doing a lot of physical activity throughout the day and I’ve dropped a couple of pounds.

I really don’t want to lose anymore weight. I’m looking to do more of a clean bulk. Gain as much muscle as possible with minimal fat gain. I’ve tried eating more, but I feel like it’s just not doing the trick… Maybe eat even more? I feel like I will need to start meal prepping and really tracking my calories in order to make gains…

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks![/quote]

Height, weight, bf or estimate a range, training age, and what are you eating now? Assuming you aren’t just losing fat, it mostly boils down to eating more.

Oldies but goodies:

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/nutrition_for_newbies_part_1&cr=

[quote]daltron wrote:

[quote]Aches89 wrote:
I’m looking to gain more muscle mass. I’m an electrician, so I find I’m doing a lot of physical activity throughout the day and I’ve dropped a couple of pounds.

I really don’t want to lose anymore weight. I’m looking to do more of a clean bulk. Gain as much muscle as possible with minimal fat gain. I’ve tried eating more, but I feel like it’s just not doing the trick… Maybe eat even more? I feel like I will need to start meal prepping and really tracking my calories in order to make gains…

Height, weight, bf or estimate a range, training age, and what are you eating now? Assuming you aren’t just losing fat, it mostly boils down to eating more.

Oldies but goodies:

https://www.T-Nation.com/diet-fat-loss/nutrition-for-newbies-2[/quote]

6’6, wake up at around 226-228. Before I started this job (sitting on my ass all summer after I finished school), I weighed around 230-232. Estimate of bf would be maybe 12-14%. Visible abs, not flexed, if that helps? Been training for about 8 years. Diet looks like this for the most part:

Meal 1- cup of whites, 2 whole eggs with onions and a cup of spinach, 1/2 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon, teaspoon of natural PB and one Greek yogurt mixed in with water.

Meal 2- (this meal is definitely going to change up… Need to meal prep)

• can of tuna in protein bread or 2 whole grain wraps, with spinach, 1 tbs. of light mayo, mustard
  • handful of almonds, 1 Greek yogurt, 1 banana

Meal 3- 2 scoops of whey protein with an apple or banana/ or a protein bar

Meal 4- lean protein source (chicken,fish,steak), veggies, carb source (sweet potato, basmati/brown rice)

Meal 5- 1 while container of low sodium 1% cottage cheese with 2 heaping tbs of nAtural PB.

Any tips on fixing this up? I may need bigger portions in every meal… Need some help to follow a strict plan so I can get up to 240 with minimal fat gain if possible.

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

[quote]daltron wrote:

[quote]Aches89 wrote:

Oldies but goodies:

https://www.T-Nation.com/diet-fat-loss/nutrition-for-newbies-2[/quote]

6’6, wake up at around 226-228. Before I started this job (sitting on my ass all summer after I finished school), I weighed around 230-232. Estimate of bf would be maybe 12-14%. Visible abs, not flexed, if that helps? Been training for about 8 years. Diet looks like this for the most part:

Meal 1- cup of whites, 2 whole eggs with onions and a cup of spinach, 1/2 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon, teaspoon of natural PB and one Greek yogurt mixed in with water.

Meal 2- (this meal is definitely going to change up… Need to meal prep)

• can of tuna in protein bread or 2 whole grain wraps, with spinach, 1 tbs. of light mayo, mustard
  • handful of almonds, 1 Greek yogurt, 1 banana

Meal 3- 2 scoops of whey protein with an apple or banana/ or a protein bar

Meal 4- lean protein source (chicken,fish,steak), veggies, carb source (sweet potato, basmati/brown rice)

Meal 5- 1 while container of low sodium 1% cottage cheese with 2 heaping tbs of nAtural PB.

Any tips on fixing this up? I may need bigger portions in every meal… Need some help to follow a strict plan so I can get up to 240 with minimal fat gain if possible.[/quote]

I’d start counting calories, just to get an idea of where you actually are at. Just by looking at your list, I’d say maybe more protein, definitely more carbs, and more fat. What you are eating now is closer to cutting than adding muscle. You don’t have to dramatically increase your calories suddenly, but obviously what you are eating now isn’t enough even for maintence if you are losing fat.

If you don’t like diving deep into counting calories and macronutrients, I’d just focus on getting at least 250g of protein in a day (at least more than 1g per pound of bodyweight) and slowly adding more food/calories into what you currently eat. More oatmeal, sweet potatoes are great, rice, etc are some good carb choices in to add in. As for fat, a little olive oil, beef fat, etc.

Just start slowly adding, and when you find your maintence range then you know to go from there and add some calories to build muscle.

I know this thread is about nutrition, but don’t neglect your training either.

Plazma or MAG-10 intra workout, -if on a budget even 1/2 a scoop can make a big difference over time.

Roughly keep the diet the same but do a huge (clean-ish) cheat meal once a week…

The solution to your problem is easy: Google Kali Muscle’s 10,000 calorie cake recipe on YouTube and HUGE muscles will be yours for sure, just like him! (Still laughing at that, can’t get my mind off of it lol.)

Seriously though, I would let appetite dictate your food quantity consumed. At 5’8" I started at 133 lbs. (not fat but certainly not super lean either), with a full figured frame, and let my appetite, which slowly increased naturally over several years through strength training, transform me into 148 lbs. in six-pack lean and athletic condition. You can’t super feed or naturally increase your (muscle) size by simply force feeding yourself, it should come by itself in time.

Whatever you do eat clean. Eat good clean food only! I’ve seen to much bulking weirdness out there to make me do a double take on anything different.

But that’s just my advice, worked for me.