T Nation

Looking to Compete in Strongman

Hey I’m a 16 year old high school student looking to compete in strongman competitions in the New England area. What are some good sources people have as to different leagues or events that are happening. We can also use this thread to swap links nationwide people have on events. Many thanks.

Hey check out www.nastrongmaninc.com they have contests posted from all over the country. In May there is one in Paxton, Massachusetts. Where do you live in Mass?

[quote]zackbus99 wrote:
Hey check out www.nastrongmaninc.com they have contests posted from all over the country. In May there is one in Paxton, Massachusetts. Where do you live in Mass?[/quote]

I live in Brookline, maybe 10 minutes from Boston, you?

I live in Agawam its less than five minutes from Springfield.

How far are you from Boston, hour and a half or so? You going to the Paxton one?

Well NASstrongmaninc.com is probably the best thing you can go for on information. I have noticed that is fairly hard to find information on how to properly train for strongman and the best thing you can do is find some one who trains and competes and ask them about there training.

My best advice is stop worrying about your bench press weight and start hammering overhead press, push presses, and incline bench presses. Also deadlifts are pobably the most valuable exercise for a strongman to preform as in events you are almost 90% always picking something off the ground. Also you need to start rowing for back with every differnet grip variation you can think of. Start training your core heavily also lots of good mornings and weighted ab work.

Next in strongman you are constantly being introduced to many akward implements. SO you need to get as many of the events replicated as you possibly can. If you have money at your disposal this will be easy but, if your like me and poor you will have to get creative. Tires for flipping and dragging can be given to you for free as companies have to pay to get rid of them you just have to go and pick them up. Rocks you find out in fields and the woods are my favorite things to play with they are rougher and will cut up your hands but they are free. If you cant buy a farmers walk set up a whell barrow will be a relatively decent substitute. Also filling up a high quality duffle bag with sand or dirt will be cheap and very useful also.

This is just a few basic things you can do but, its a good start. If you have any more questions just let me know and I will try and help.

Yeah, my friend and associate BigNate is an aspiring Strong man from the Greater Worcester area. He might have some info. You a wrestler? Karelin is pretty unmistakable…

I’m not a wrestler, but I aspire to be like Karelin.

“I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”

As I write this I’m eating an six egg omelet for breakfast.

I already know about the bench thing, and it was never a big thing of mine.

Deadlift: 400 (tried 405 but failed)
Bench: 205

Deadlift is just something I like to work on and recently I started training it with a towel over the bar to make it a fat grip. Right now that’s what I’m focusing on, getting my deadlift up anyways.

achillesreborn: Is BigNate a member? If he isn’t can I get his contact info?

Deadlift is something you need to work harder than anything not just something you like to work on deads and overheads are the most vital thing for strongman. But in order to be competetive you will have to have your deadlift atleast at 500lbs 550lbs would be better.

Deadlift is something you need to work harder than anything not just something you like to work on deads and overheads are the most vital thing for strongman. But in order to be competetive you will have to have your deadlift atleast at 500lbs 550lbs would be better.

SOrry dont know why it did that this computer is weird

also check out marunde-muscle.com/forum

keep your eye out for Total Performance Sports’ Massachusetts State Strongman Championships, I belive Murph usually has a teen class

Thanks for all the help guys. I’ll keep an eye out for you guys (although I probably won’t recognize you if I saw you)