Looking To Change and Grow

Hey everyone. I am looking for any and all tips on eating, working out, supplements, etc on how to define and bulk up.

Looking at most of these posts i guess i will follow suit and give everyone a little background here.

26 years old 165# 5 10, Chinese and Scotch Irish heritige. Started study in dance when i was 13 and that was my primary for of exercise until i was about 18. Started light lifting then. At 21 i began studying yoga as well as Krav Maga, Boxing, Ninjitsu, Capoeria, and Arnis. I began really learning more about weight training and body building about three years ago.

I am currently a dancer, and i teach conditioning and hip hop, as well as a 9-5 desk job. I am able to commit at least 4 days to the gym, and need to divide my time wisely between lifting and cardio. (need the endurance for stage)

Im pretty sure i will never get huge, but looking less like Robin and more like Batman would be great!

I eat a farily balanced diet of lean highly digestable protein and fruits and veggies. I dont consume a lot of dairy, however i do tend to prefer red meat. I am not opposed to hearing thoughts on supplements and changes in diet!

I have a knee injury and have noticed that certain exercises will make it “flare up” as it were. But its nothing i cant get past (After hundreds of kicks and punches to various parts of my body, years at a ballet barre, contorting myself into almost unhuman positions and 26 tattoos i can handle pain)

As far as cardio OTHER then dancing i use elliptical machines often, and when i can i swim. In spring and summer i have been known to take some time to run out doors. Lifting options obviously are limitless. ALSO i am extremely flexible, and cannot afford to lose that flexibilty.

Alright everyone, gimme what you got! If you have any other questions that would help me out i will be more then happy to answer them!

Thanx everyone!

Wecome Bro,

Your asking for a never ending book better you do some research and education your self and come with more directed questions on the topics start at the beginner thread pinnned above on this forum read it and the links and continue from there coming back with ?'s

Sounds like your starting from a good spot. Make small consistant changes and PUT THEM TO ACTION, dont just read about them.

Phill

[quote]Agent Frost wrote:
Hey everyone. I am looking for any and all tips on eating, working out, supplements, etc on how to define and bulk up.

Looking at most of these posts i guess i will follow suit and give everyone a little background here.

26 years old 165# 5 10, Chinese and Scotch Irish heritige. Started study in dance when i was 13 and that was my primary for of exercise until i was about 18. Started light lifting then. At 21 i began studying yoga as well as Krav Maga, Boxing, Ninjitsu, Capoeria, and Arnis. I began really learning more about weight training and body building about three years ago.

I am currently a dancer, and i teach conditioning and hip hop, as well as a 9-5 desk job. I am able to commit at least 4 days to the gym, and need to divide my time wisely between lifting and cardio. (need the endurance for stage)

Im pretty sure i will never get huge, but looking less like Robin and more like Batman would be great!

I eat a farily balanced diet of lean highly digestable protein and fruits and veggies. I dont consume a lot of dairy, however i do tend to prefer red meat. I am not opposed to hearing thoughts on supplements and changes in diet!

I have a knee injury and have noticed that certain exercises will make it “flare up” as it were. But its nothing i cant get past (After hundreds of kicks and punches to various parts of my body, years at a ballet barre, contorting myself into almost unhuman positions and 26 tattoos i can handle pain)

As far as cardio OTHER then dancing i use elliptical machines often, and when i can i swim. In spring and summer i have been known to take some time to run out doors. Lifting options obviously are limitless. ALSO i am extremely flexible, and cannot afford to lose that flexibilty.

Alright everyone, gimme what you got! If you have any other questions that would help me out i will be more then happy to answer them!

Thanx everyone![/quote]

Not a never ending book.

Here allow me to be more specific. What worked best for you? What tips allowed you to tweak what you did, made you confortable, and provided you with results?

That is what i am asking for, both in terms of working out, training, and dieting. I can read all the case studies and magazine articles i want but it is nothing like a personal tip or anecdote.

I am not saying it will work for me personally, what i am saying is that i am looking for a different approach that MIGHT work for me, or anyone else who would happen to read this post :wink:

Thank you for the encouragement though. I will keep everyone posted as to progress and such.

Thank you again!

Find a good routine, there are thousands listed here, then adhere to this little quote and you have it made.

“You’re not gonna add more inches by training any harder. The only way that you’re gonna’ get big is to eat big. Training is the vehicle and food is the fuel to make it run. You need high test fuel for a vehicle to run at it’s best. It takes a long time and a lot of hard work and eating to put on 15 pounds. For starters, eat a lot of high quality protein, at least 2 grams per pound of bodyweight. Use red meat as your main source, and supplement with shakes if you need to. Just remember, gaining size is about gaining weight. Gaining weight is about eating more. That’s it.”

deadlift and eat, alot of both. you look sad in that photo. why so blue?

I cant say i was blue, though i am supposed to look sad. The picture was taken about 2 years ago and the inspiration of the shoot was taken from the “Rain” video done by Madonna in 1993. Its a sad video.

I have lost a decent percentage of body fat since that pic was taken, however it was the best one i could find on this computer at the time that gave a little body shot.

I will provide another pic, but i am completely covered.

- YouTube <–“Rain” video

Sweet, a ninja on T-Nation!!

Post more pics man thats pretty cool.

OKAY just because i study ninjitsu does not mean i am a ninja! That would be like saying studying Krav Maga makes me a member of the Israeli Defense Force.

I, personally, have more respect for the art, and my self, to go around saying i am an ACTUAL ninja. I have never had to gather intelligence, inflitrate a feudal castle, or assassinate anyone. However, if people want to think i am an actual ninja… well… i think thats just fine HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Seriously though, modern ninjitsu is very far removed from what was studied and practiced in feudal Japan. The training is similar, but there is less emphasis on offensive tactics.

And as soon as i find more “ninja” pics i will post them. Until then help get me big dang it!

OKAY just because i study ninjitsu does not mean i am a ninja! That would be like saying studying Krav Maga makes me a member of the Israeli Defense Force.

I, personally, have more respect for the art, and my self, to go around saying i am an ACTUAL ninja. I have never had to gather intelligence, inflitrate a feudal castle, or assassinate anyone. However, if people want to think i am an actual ninja… well… i think thats just fine HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Seriously though, modern ninjitsu is very far removed from what was studied and practiced in feudal Japan. The training is similar, but there is less emphasis on offensive tactics.

And as soon as i find more “ninja” pics i will post them. Until then help get me big dang it!
[/quote]

can you fly?

not trying to make this political but do you study Bujinkan? Also for tips…soft tissue work and band traction for the win

If you really want to put on some muscle you need to focus on the weight training. You said you need to divide your time between lifting and cardio. Don’t you think you get enough endurance work from teaching classes, being on stage, martial art training?

Maybe you should check out Westside for Skinny Bastards:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=311west2

Or Westside for Skinny Bastards II

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-100-training

You could get rid of all the supplemental work they suggest and replace it with all of your current conditioning.

Dietwise, if you want to grow, you must eat. If you think you are eating enough, but you aren’t growing…well, then, you aren’t eating enough.

I’ve got the same prob as you dude, I train too much martial arts and it’s hard to find time in the gym. You will end up likely training 2x per day on some days. One lifting and one martial arts dance W/E.

This is why i use Chad Waterbury’s system. It doesn’t leave me sore but still mkaes me stronger etc. I found that when i would do body part splits I would have a really sore area of my body and then BJJ and MT would be poor. My CNS was fried and I couldn’t develop the patterns as well. Also it fucken hurt.

So try Skinny bastards or HFT (Chad Waterbury). Squat as much as possible. Do tons of overhead work. I find these are my most effective tools for strength/growth. Get a coach too. A good one that can teach you good form on squat bench and DLift. one that can teach clean and snatch are great but hard to find.

Kudos on the dance too. I had no idea how hard that shit was until I met my G/f. Ballet is only for the most hardcore insane masochists. Plus I would stab several people to death to have the musculature of some African dancers I have seen. Those dudes are massive. It’s like people knock gymnastics as being gay or whatever and then they see the guys, who are mules, and they shut up.

BTW, do you train any knife in your FMA training??? I love that shit.

-chris

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:

I would stab several people to death to have the musculature of some African dancers I have seen. [/quote]

Hey man i tried that, i can report that it doesn’t work. They just look you in the eye and say ‘why?’ as they fall.

Stick to the weights and tunafish

Food! And then more food. And then more … Well, you get the picture.

That will be $37.95 for the condensed version of my book.

In regards to the endurance work while i am teaching, the only time i get any of that is during the Stretch Strength and Conditioning class our studio offers ( www.infusiondance.net for those of you who are interested). I actually do the exercises with our students. Other then that i show the students what to do once and then watch them. Occasionally in the adult Hip Hop class i have to do something over and over again so that they can watch me while they do it, but that isnt often.

I cant say i was blue, though i am supposed to look sad. The picture was taken about 2 years ago and the inspiration of the shoot was taken from the “Rain” video done by Madonna in 1993. Its a sad video.

I have lost a decent percentage of body fat since that pic was taken, however it was the best one i could find on this computer at the time that gave a little body shot.

I will provide another pic, but i am completely covered.

- YouTube <–“Rain” video[/quote]

Have you ever been to Indonesia?

I have never been to Indonesia. Only Taiwan and Hong Kong to visit family.

My dad is Chinese.

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
I’ve got the same prob as you dude, I train too much martial arts and it’s hard to find time in the gym. You will end up likely training 2x per day on some days. One lifting and one martial arts dance W/E.

This is why i use Chad Waterbury’s system. It doesn’t leave me sore but still mkaes me stronger etc. I found that when i would do body part splits I would have a really sore area of my body and then BJJ and MT would be poor. My CNS was fried and I couldn’t develop the patterns as well. Also it fucken hurt.

So try Skinny bastards or HFT (Chad Waterbury). Squat as much as possible. Do tons of overhead work. I find these are my most effective tools for strength/growth. Get a coach too. A good one that can teach you good form on squat bench and DLift. one that can teach clean and snatch are great but hard to find.

Kudos on the dance too. I had no idea how hard that shit was until I met my G/f. Ballet is only for the most hardcore insane masochists. Plus I would stab several people to death to have the musculature of some African dancers I have seen. Those dudes are massive. It’s like people knock gymnastics as being gay or whatever and then they see the guys, who are mules, and they shut up.

BTW, do you train any knife in your FMA training??? I love that shit.

-chris[/quote]

YES Ballet is SERIOUSLY masochistic! And if u have an injury, like i do in my knee, its even worse! Cold Ohio mornings are LOVELY. I sound like Lady Deathstrike in X2 when she’s waiting outside the oval office cracking her knuckles. The training has helped me a great deal in lifting. 1) I have gained an amazing amount of body awareness and balance. Subtle things like enganging my shoulder blades during lat pull down, or using a swiss ball are no where near as hard as they would be if i hadn’t studied dance 2)I am able to take correction and instruction from trainers FAST. 3) i have a high pain thresh hold and can push past superficial “irritations” and work harder… oh and im flexible and used to the constant soreness that has now become my friend!

PS Stitch RULES!

Well, I’d say that off the top of my head, a total body training style would benefit you more at the moment, since there is less local fatigue/soreness. Checkout Chad Waterbury’s Total Body Training and Anti-Bodybuilding-Hypertrophy programs (ABBH). Also, you really do need to read and study as much as you can. It’s no different than martial arts in that respect–study the history, study the techniques, study the tactics (program design), study the weapons (exercises and their purposes, supplements, and esp. SCIENCE, which will help you figure out what’s BS and what’s good. Just don’t be a pubmed ninja. Anecdotes and personal experience are valid as supporting evidence in many, not all, cases.)

What’s worked for me: Well, I don’t have the same restrictions as you do for soreness (I don’t dance, etc), or the same goals (I’m training as a powerlifter). The biggest thing that helped me was doing my own leg work and research. T-Nation didn’t have forums when I started reading it, so I read every single article from every single back issue (there weren’t that many though) until I got caught up. Then I started doing research on the stuff I read about. Lots of time, but worth it, as I can more easily figure out what I need and how to get there.

To keep flexibility, it is important to do mobility work and stretching/soft tisssue work. Static stretching is best done after a workout, mobility work can accompany it if you wish, but also goes well as a warm-up. It is also very important to use a full range of motion (ROM) in all exercises unless it causes the bad kind of pain. It’s been shown that squats do not have a significantly bad effect on flexibility if they are done to the end of the ROM. The muscle-stretch is needed. Shortened range of motion is useful for various reasons, but overuse of this will almost always lead to your muscles losing flexibility, as they are never fully stretched under a load.

As far as weight gain—eat at least 5 times a day. No exceptions, and not counting your post workout protein/sugar shake. 6-8 is better, but sometimes not doable if you have multiple jobs. As far as training–use the free weights. I made the mistake of using machines for the first 3 months or so because I was intimidated by the big guys and didn’t want to embarrass myself. My progress got a lot faster once I ditched the machines and I haven’t gone back since. Stick to the money exercises–the ones that are hardest and involve the most joints/muscle groups at the same time. This should make sense from your dance/martial arts background. Do the most demanding stuff, learn the most complicated stuff when you are the freshest. More systemic load = more systemic growth. Use isolation exercises (curls, extensions, etc) last in the workout as finishers.

Finally, consistency is key. Doesn’t matter what you do as long as you do it consistently and with intensity. Avoid paralysis anaylsis–read but do something while you’re learning the rest of it.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Well, I’d say that off the top of my head, a total body training style would benefit you more at the moment, since there is less local fatigue/soreness. Checkout Chad Waterbury’s Total Body Training and Anti-Bodybuilding-Hypertrophy programs (ABBH). Also, you really do need to read and study as much as you can. It’s no different than martial arts in that respect–study the history, study the techniques, study the tactics (program design), study the weapons (exercises and their purposes, supplements, and esp. SCIENCE, which will help you figure out what’s BS and what’s good. Just don’t be a pubmed ninja. Anecdotes and personal experience are valid as supporting evidence in many, not all, cases.)

What’s worked for me: Well, I don’t have the same restrictions as you do for soreness (I don’t dance, etc), or the same goals (I’m training as a powerlifter). The biggest thing that helped me was doing my own leg work and research. T-Nation didn’t have forums when I started reading it, so I read every single article from every single back issue (there weren’t that many though) until I got caught up. Then I started doing research on the stuff I read about. Lots of time, but worth it, as I can more easily figure out what I need and how to get there.

To keep flexibility, it is important to do mobility work and stretching/soft tisssue work. Static stretching is best done after a workout, mobility work can accompany it if you wish, but also goes well as a warm-up. It is also very important to use a full range of motion (ROM) in all exercises unless it causes the bad kind of pain. It’s been shown that squats do not have a significantly bad effect on flexibility if they are done to the end of the ROM. The muscle-stretch is needed. Shortened range of motion is useful for various reasons, but overuse of this will almost always lead to your muscles losing flexibility, as they are never fully stretched under a load.

As far as weight gain—eat at least 5 times a day. No exceptions, and not counting your post workout protein/sugar shake. 6-8 is better, but sometimes not doable if you have multiple jobs. As far as training–use the free weights. I made the mistake of using machines for the first 3 months or so because I was intimidated by the big guys and didn’t want to embarrass myself. My progress got a lot faster once I ditched the machines and I haven’t gone back since. Stick to the money exercises–the ones that are hardest and involve the most joints/muscle groups at the same time. This should make sense from your dance/martial arts background. Do the most demanding stuff, learn the most complicated stuff when you are the freshest. More systemic load = more systemic growth. Use isolation exercises (curls, extensions, etc) last in the workout as finishers.

Finally, consistency is key. Doesn’t matter what you do as long as you do it consistently and with intensity. Avoid paralysis anaylsis–read but do something while you’re learning the rest of it.[/quote]

I must say that i read something else that you had posted. And then re-read it… and then printed it and re-read it!

Dude, for serious write a book! What you have written is not only profound and insightful, it is diplomatic, clear, and stylistically very well written. Thank you!!!