Looking to Build Muscle

I usually overcomplicate with diet but tent to be much more relaxed with my training. I’ve never asked a question about it or even read any articles. How does this look for a good muscle building program?

Workout 1:

Dead-lifts:

4x6-12
1x3-8

Leg Extension Machine:
5x8-12

Workout 2:

Bench press:

4x6-12
1x3-8

Incline press:

4x6-12
1x3-8

DB press:

3x6-12

Workout 3:

Squats:

4x6-12
1x3-8

Leg Extension Machine:
5x8-12

I would add some curls and tricep work here and there. Also a shoulder press and some upper-back work.

Too much?..too little?

Critique.

I hope you give your back more attention in the gym than you did in this post.

assuming you’re busting your ass in the gym and eat well the program will deliver some results. Probably could be a little better IMO with more volume for legs perhaps.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
I usually overcomplicate with diet but tent to be much more relaxed with my training. I’ve never asked a question about it or even read any articles. How does this look for a good muscle building program?

Workout 1:

Dead-lifts:

4x6-12
1x3-8

Leg Extension Machine:
5x8-12

Workout 2:

Bench press:

4x6-12
1x3-8

Incline press:

4x6-12
1x3-8

DB press:

3x6-12

Workout 3:

Squats:

4x6-12
1x3-8

Leg Extension Machine:
5x8-12

I would add some curls and tricep work here and there. Also a shoulder press and some upper-back work.

Too much?..too little?

Critique.
[/quote]

Is your back completely overpowering the rest of your body, and your quads and chest weak body parts?

I ask because the only back exercise that you have is deadlifts, and while I think it’s an excellent exercise, the back is the most complex body part and needs stimulation from multiple angles (you probably need at least a vertical pulling exercise, such as pull-ups/pull-downs and maybe more).

You are also doing leg extensions twice a week. Why? Why not just do them in workout 3, and do some other back work in workout 1?

Finally no shoulder work? I realize that the front delts get a decent amount of stimulation from pressing and the rear delts get some from deadlifting, but once again, generally some direct shoulder work is a good idea, even if it’s just something like an overhead press.

Maybe you could do a workout 4 where you do shoulders, triceps and biceps.

[quote] wrote:
[/quote]

I’m nothing but 172 lbs at 5’11" so I figured it would be best to do the big compound movements. I also forgot that the dead-lift workout will be twice per week as I love dead-lifting. ok so how about this?

for shoulder and more back I will do:

Workout 1:

Dead-lifts:

4x6-12
1x3-8

DB Rows:

3x6-12

Barbell shoulder press:

3x6-12

Workout 4:

Cable rows:
5x8-12

DB Shrugs:

5x8-12

DB Pull-over
3x6-12

Barbell shoulder press:

5x6-12

Again, I will add some bicep and tricep work here and there…probably triceps on the chest day and biceps on workout 4.

All together I will be in the gym 5 days lifting. 2 days doing dead-lifts and one added day for shoulders and back.

That sounds better.

Try it out for a while and see how it goes.

Your program needs work.

wk 1 bench press 3x5
bentover row 4x8
military press 4x8
abs

wk 2 deadlifts 3x3
front sqauts 4x8
calves 3x15

wk 3 dips 4x8 add weight when needed
pull ups 4x8 add weight when needed
upright rows 3x8
abs
wk 4 back sqauts 4x10
romanian dealifts 2x15
calves 3x25

train on monday, wedensday and friday rotate through the lifts. Keep a log and keep trying to add weight or reps to the lifts.
Every 5 weeks take a easy week to deload.
eat at least 250 grams of protein a day everyday.

ps: those are work sets take as many warm-ups as needed.

pps: when warming up keep reps to a minimum-just keep bumping up poundages to the work sets.

edit wk means workout . It does not seem like alot, but try the routine and give it your all and see what happens.