Looking Soft...

Eating clean, lifting hard, and doing an ungodly amount of HIIT each week will get you cut no matter how stubborn your body is with losing fat. Just do like 3-6x HIIT each week and I’d be very suprised if you dont start drastically lowering bodyfat. Then if you are doing that much HIIT in combination with eating very clean, it will happen.

[quote]shoobey wrote:
Eating clean, lifting hard, and doing an ungodly amount of HIIT each week will get you cut no matter how stubborn your body is with losing fat. Just do like 3-6x HIIT each week and I’d be very suprised if you dont start drastically lowering bodyfat. Then if you are doing that much HIIT in combination with eating very clean, it will happen.[/quote]

3-6 TRUE HIIT sessions in a caloric deficit on top of heavy lifting? Why does this recommendation get tossed around so much?

Pick one and go with it, don’t be stupid like me and crash diet and bulk at the same time. If you want to get ripper, just continue with the diet. You look soft because like me, you carry too much body fat.

If you want to bulk, just bulk.

As an example, my brother exercises less than half as I do (7 hours vs. 14+ hours per week), does not count calories and does about 1 - 3 cardio session of 30 minutes per MONTH and is slowly and steadily reducing his body fat. He is setting a new body fat set point and homeostasis for himself because he is doing it the correct way, unlike me who like to crash diet and give up and fuck up and make excuses.

[quote]shoobey wrote:
Eating clean, lifting hard, and doing an ungodly amount of HIIT each week will get you cut no matter how stubborn your body is with losing fat. Just do like 3-6x HIIT each week and I’d be very suprised if you dont start drastically lowering bodyfat. Then if you are doing that much HIIT in combination with eating very clean, it will happen.[/quote]

3-6 times HIIT per week…

You could just starve yourself instead, roughly the same impact on your strength progress/muscle mass… And you don’t even have to work hard then.

Come on, gotta be efficient.

Just to remind people here: Successful bulking doesn’t really depend at all on whether you’ve gained x amount of weight (per time unit)… It’s got more to do with whether you’ve gained a good amount of strength in that same time period/in relation to the amount of bodyweight gained (normally in the 5-20 range… Though less reps if you do a lot of sets).

Otherwise you’ll mostly end up fat.

Look at fattyfat’s T-Cell thread, gained a ton of strength and, while he obviously also gained quite a bit of fat, I don’t think anyone in their right mind would not want that kind of progress in so little time.

You don’t improve in the gym as you improve on the scale/in the kitchen, then you can just as well do one of those funny slow-bulks… Because the additional food you’re eating would be wasted anyway!

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
shoobey wrote:
Eating clean, lifting hard, and doing an ungodly amount of HIIT each week will get you cut no matter how stubborn your body is with losing fat. Just do like 3-6x HIIT each week and I’d be very suprised if you dont start drastically lowering bodyfat. Then if you are doing that much HIIT in combination with eating very clean, it will happen.

3-6 times HIIT per week…

You could just starve yourself instead, roughly the same impact on your strength progress/muscle mass… And you don’t even have to work hard then.

[/quote]

Isn’t that more efficient? If you are trying to cut fat but half assing it by not doing the most extreme cardio you can as much as possible? I haven’t noticed muscle loss from doing HIIT that much, and have actually gone up in some lifts

[quote]shoobey wrote:

Isn’t that more efficient? If you are trying to cut fat but half assing it by not doing the most extreme cardio you can as much as possible? I haven’t noticed muscle loss from doing HIIT that much, and have actually gone up in some lifts

[/quote]

At what strength levels and bodyweight?

[quote]shoobey wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
shoobey wrote:

3-6 times HIIT per week…

[/quote]

In some?
You weigh 140… You are a beginner (that is not a derogatory term, it just refers to someone who is quite frankly small and weak still and probably hasn’t really figured out exercise technique and so on. I don’t mean “lie on the bench and press the bar up”, but what you do with your scapulae, how to position your shoulders, overall tightness, leg drive and what have you… You can train for 20 years and still be a beginner…).

You should easily be able to more or less double your training poundages in a year while only packing on a bit of fat or even leaning out a tad… Depends on routine, effort and diet of course as well… But at 140, I doubt you’re even out of your newbie-gain phase yet.

Something like 6 true HIIT sessions (unless you’re half-assing them) should make serious back squat progress nearly impossible (among other things).

[quote]shoobey wrote:

[/quote]

Lol. Not to anyone who squats 315 or more. I’m tempted to say anyone who legitimately squats 225 or more for reps, but I’m sure there are a few exceptions out there who would gainsay me.

It is vaguely conceivable that you could train yourself over time to handle a workload of 3-4 HIIT sessions a week + hard training. Key phrase being “over time”.

Like, say, a number of years.

…Because that workload is the kind of workload that professional and olympic sprinters follow. And their gym workouts are usually of less volume than any “regular” gym rat and most definitely any hardcore bodybuilder. They are on the track 3-6 days a week and in the gym only about 3 days a week.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
shoobey wrote:

Don’t be surprised if you look in the mirror one day and think “where did all my muscle go?”. Unless you are on AAS and GH, or have an extremely rarefied genetic makeup, all that HIIT plus weights will ruin you. Even with the PEDs, you’ll be lucky to last 4 weeks without burning out.

Of course if you are doing HIIT without weights, then you’re at the wrong site really.

BBB[/quote]

I dunno man, I have been on a caloric defecit + doing HIIT 3-6x a week for the last 6 months , and I have a picture posted in the other thread so you can tell I didnt lose my muscle. I was only bulked to about 165 before this but then put on 30 lbs of fat from not lifting for a while, and I still didnt seem to lose muscle from doing that much HIIT. In the past when I just did traditional cardio and only 3 days a week, I did lose a lot of muscle. Maybe eating enough protein helps? I absolutely make sure to get a ton of protein each day regardless of how many calories I am eating.

Also not that I am bragging or anything or that I even think it’s an impressive number, but I currently am deadlifting 315 x 4 and I am only 5’7, 140 lbs. If I am doing that after 6 months of dieting and constant HIIT, isn’t that a sign that I didn’t lose much muscle, if any?

Shoobey - Honestly man, if I saw you walking down the street I probably wouldn’t even guess that you train. Quit worrying so much about being SHREDDED~! and start lifting + eating. You need a caloric surplus to build muscle. You can still do cardio, just do it like real bodybuilders do - LISS! Way less stress on the CNS and a whole lot more muscle sparing.

Further more, I have a hard time believing that you’re doing legitimate HIIT 3-6 times per week. If you did it the right way, you would only be doing it two times per week, three max.

You have to make a decision. Do you want to look like a fruity underwear model or a bodybuilder? Choose wisely.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Shoobey - Honestly man, if I saw you walking down the street I probably wouldn’t even guess that you train. Quit worrying so much about being SHREDDED~! and start lifting + eating. You need a caloric surplus to build muscle. You can still do cardio, just do it like real bodybuilders do - LISS! Way less stress on the CNS and a whole lot more muscle sparing.

Further more, I have a hard time believing that you’re doing legitimate HIIT 3-6 times per week. If you did it the right way, you would only be doing it two times per week, three max.

You have to make a decision. Do you want to look like a fruity underwear model or a bodybuilder? Choose wisely.[/quote]

I don’t like being small like I am now one bit, all I was trying to do was lose as much bodyfat as I could prior to going into the bulk, so I wouldn’t be second guessing whether to stop bulking every second if my bodyfat looked a little high. Now that I will start bulking with pretty low bodyfat I know I have a hell of a lot of room to spare for adding bodyfat and dont have to worry about it as much

I agree with what shoobey has been saying. I think that 3-6 HIIT sessions sounds pretty reasonable to me so long as the sessions are kept short IMO.

[quote]shoobey wrote:

Also not that I am bragging or anything or that I even think it’s an impressive number, but I currently am deadlifting 315 x 4 and I am only 5’7, 140 lbs. If I am doing that after 6 months of dieting and constant HIIT, isn’t that a sign that I didn’t lose much muscle, if any?[/quote]

That’s nice and all, but deadlifting 3 plates is not even remotely the same as olympic squatting 3 plates. There comes a point where you can’t handle that kind of workload in a bodybuilding context mixed with high frequency HIIT.

[quote]WannaBeRealBig wrote:
I agree with what shoobey has been saying. I think that 3-6 HIIT sessions sounds pretty reasonable to me so long as the sessions are kept short IMO. [/quote]

Blind leading the blind.

I hope people do some research into the level of development of the people making certain posts.

[quote]WannaBeRealBig wrote:
I agree with what shoobey has been saying. I think that 3-6 HIIT sessions sounds pretty reasonable to me so long as the sessions are kept short IMO. [/quote]

For fat loss, an HIIT session (10-12 min) following a Waterbury-style total body workout would be effective. Proper nutrition, pre/peri/post workout carbs mainly, will fuel the HIIT. Anything more than 3X’s per week would annihilate your lower body strength gains.

HIIT is more effective at mobilizing stubborn fatty acids than LISS. I’m too lazy to look up any research on this subject atm. This is especially true for someone who has carried an excess amount of fat for an extended period of time. When pressed for time, it’s a viable option. Bodybuilders have the time/dedication to put in 5-6 fasted LISS sessions per week, while I have a feeling most average Joe lifters would prefer to get the hours in the gym to lift.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
WannaBeRealBig wrote:
I agree with what shoobey has been saying. I think that 3-6 HIIT sessions sounds pretty reasonable to me so long as the sessions are kept short IMO.

Blind leading the blind.

I hope people do some research into the level of development of the people making certain posts. [/quote]

I’m not blind lol!

How do you know you are 11%. Or is it possible this is an e-stat, and you are more like 15% in actuallity?

You really gotta get the calipers to accurately measure BF%. And even that is an approximation. I measured 4 points yesterday at a lil over 10% but its probably a bit more.

As for fat loss, CT’s metabolic pairings really incinerate fat. And as for HIIT, I’d argue you can alternate between steady state cardio and HIIT and get good results.