T Nation

Looking for Some Supplements...

Would it be better to run a isolate protein rather than regular protein…like Grow? im trying to decide if i should go ahead and buy another tub of the whey isolate that i have now or try this Grow stuff that everyone likes…

and also i never took BCAAs before. whats the point of them?

If you have a lactase allergy, then you should probably stick to isolate. If not, then Grow is an economical and sound choice. Isolate is better in terms of “getting to your muscles,” but that does not mean Grow is bad, either.

You don’t really need to take BCAA’s at 140. They’re there to stop catabolism and promote an anabolic state. Many may disagree, as BCAA’s are very beneficial. But I’d start to worry about them after I’ve eaten a lot if I were in your shoes.

well right now the only supplements im on

whey isolate
multi
fish oil

im just now getting lean, i wanna gain more mass but still keep my wasit lean…is that all about diet?

i prolly should update my profile too…

A lot of it is diet…particularly nutrient timing. Also it has to do with still doing cardio 2-3x a week while gaining. And lifting a whole lot of weight (especially volume wise). If your lifting with intensity and eating the right food at the right time, you can stay deacently lean while gaining weight.

I’m not saying you’ll stay at 6-8% bf, but you can stay under 12%.

If you decide to really gain a lot of weight, you’ll probably need to do a more forthcoming bulk and put on some more fat.

would it be a wise idea to go ahead and start bulking now and then start cutting mid december?

my weight training and intensity is good. but my nutrition is hard to keep up. i get 2 good meals in a day. and have 3-4 protein drinks also. i work night shifts and its hard to get another meal in…

[quote]matttx wrote:
would it be a wise idea to go ahead and start bulking now and then start cutting mid december?

my weight training and intensity is good. but my nutrition is hard to keep up. i get 2 good meals in a day. and have 3-4 protein drinks also. i work night shifts and its hard to get another meal in…[/quote]

It depends on what your goals are. Personally, I want to hit 185 (18 lbs) by spring, so I’m not going to cut in December. But I gain slowly so I don’t have to worry about fat gain. I also want to compete in a BB show but I want to get to a higher weight before I step in the rink.

If you can, start to have more solid meals. Make sure your shakes are protein blends (instead of just whey). Bring along snacks like almonds or jerky. Also, throw some stuff into your shakes (oats, flax meal, etc). I realize that time is tight, but if you want to grow, you gotta eat.

i just started getting serious about 6 months ago. and im where i want to be for this summer…which is already over.

i want to gain mass but i dont want to be considered “fat” cause im bulking.

whats the difference between whey and regular protein? theres so many different types of protein its confusing me. i thought protein was protein?

[quote]matttx wrote:
i just started getting serious about 6 months ago. and im where i want to be for this summer…which is already over.

i want to gain mass but i dont want to be considered “fat” cause im bulking.

whats the difference between whey and regular protein? theres so many different types of protein its confusing me. i thought protein was protein? [/quote]

Whey protein is protein that comes from whey.

google is awesome :smiley:

besides protein what other supps should i be on? besides the ones i listed

[quote]matttx wrote:
google is awesome :smiley:

besides protein what other supps should i be on? besides the ones i listed[/quote]

This depends on your diet.

It’s like asking what kind of tires you should get without telling anyone the car you own.

Assuming your diet is sound and that you’re eating enough of the crucial nutrients, I’d recommend Surge Recovery.