T Nation

Looking for Some Help

I’m 21 years old, weigh 140 pounds, my body fat is roughly 8 percent. I lift 4 days a week and do cardio 6 days a week usually consisting of HIIT or running 5 to 6 miles. My goal is to put on 10 pounds of muscle without gaining any fat. My meals today were:

9:00 am Breakfast-1 cup rolled oats, banana, apple, 1/2 cup blueberries, and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter

10:00 am-Usually when I do cardio whether its HIIT or running my 5 to 6 miles

12:00 pm-One can of tuna mixed into one large salad

2:30 pm-Two slices of ww bread, 5 slices of turkey, tomato slices, lettuce, and onions

3:15 pm-Lift

6:00 pm-Dinner, usually 10-12 ounces of some type of lean mean mixed into a large salad, a large portion of whatever vegetable is available usually corn, broccoli, green beans, grilled vegetables usually peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and a fruit salad with mixed berries and cantaloupe

8:00 pm- 1/2 cup of rolled oats, banana, 1/2 cup blueberries and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter

I drink around 80 ounces of water a day, and I would really like to refrain from using any type of supplement. I know that I probably should be bought I would really rather not.

My lifting schedule is: Monday-Chest and Triceps, Tuesday-Back and Biceps, Wednesday-Shoulders, and Thursday-Legs

Any advice that you guys could give me on how I can put on weight without gaining fat would be greatly appreciated.

You don’t need any supplement, but why are you against using one? Anyway, just by ROUGHLY estimating your intake your eating somewhere around 1800-2,000 kcals a day. This isn’t nearly enough calories to grow.

Your protein intake for the day also seems low around 100 grams (this is where a good protein supp can help). You can’t honestly expect to put on ONLY muscle while growing, however you can make attempts to keep fat gain as low as possible.

Start gradually upping your calories/protein until you reach a point where your growing and your comfortable with the type of weight gain. Eat more on the days you train and less on the days you don’t.

Do you have any suggestions for some different foods that would help assist in muscle gain?

Eggs, Beef, Poultry, and Fish.

[quote]elusive wrote:
Eggs, Beef, Poultry, and Fish.[/quote]

double what you’re eating now.

and/or include

natty PB, WW bread, butter, steak, eggs, burgers, cheese, etc, I get a decent amount of calories from fruit as well.

I just plugged my foods for today at fitday.com and I consumed 2064 calories, 48 grams of fat, 284 grams of carbs, and 149 grams of protein. Am I eating too many carbs?

[quote]buffbills69 wrote:
I just plugged my foods for today at fitday.com and I consumed 2064 calories, 48 grams of fat, 284 grams of carbs, and 149 grams of protein. Am I eating too many carbs?[/quote]

No! Did you read any of the responses?

You need to eat more. Eat more protein (especially). Eat more fat. Eat more carbs. EAT MORE.

Read the Massive eating articles by Berardi, it may help you get the idea.

yeah, 140 lbs at 8% BF, you’re eating too many carbs.

seriously, shut up and eat. That might be the best advice for you.

up your calories to at least 3500/day and see what happens.