Looking For Some Feedback...

I’m new to T-Nation and ive got to say im enjoying it - so thanks for all the help. Heres my question - i’ve been lifting for about 4 years now (im 18) and im content to where im at, but only content. The reward (ie my maxes) just dont seem to reflect the amount of work that i put into powerlifting and it can be quite frusterating.

for example, over 2 years back i managed to pull up 405 at a PL meet and and now ive only jumped up to 465 in a span of 2 years even though i have lifted nearly every day. is it possible that i never completly broke out a plateau and i am stuck or might i just be going about my workout in the entirely wrong way.

another issue - im weighing in at about 175 - 180 and benching a legal 315lbs. i feel as if i am stuck at a bit of a plateau right now on my bench too but can’t seem to break it. any advice on how to rip threw a plateau…as i obviously have trouble with them…would be helpful

Have you tried gaining weight? 175 at 6’2" is pretty small for a powerlifter.

The answer lies hidden in your fridge.

Yea, whats your eating looking like?

as the saying goes - i eat just about anything not chained down - but i get “full” pretty quick. im going to be truthfull, the ego side of me wants to keep a nice trim look but then when i want to start slamming the weight around on the bench then i just wish that i had eaten another cheeseburger or something.

all the weight that i end up gaining just gets lost in some program i do in the next 24-48 hours…im just guessing my metabolism is just real quick or something but idk.

i also work as a camp counselor at a YMCA camp so the food at camp isn’t exactly the kinda stuff that you would be eating to try to either stay in shape or gain weight. the food is just plain crap. but idk - is there some sort of protien powder or weightgainer powder that i should be taking?

[quote]The New Guy wrote:
Have you tried gaining weight? 175 at 6’2" is pretty small for a powerlifter.[/quote]

ive tried taking stuff from GNC called weightgainer 1850 back when i was in 10th grade and i gained weight like mad. but the second i was off of it i lost over half of the weight i gained (which turned out to be fat) and the other half or so turned into loose muscle that i had to work on. do you think i should jump back on it?

[quote]elusive wrote:
Yea, whats your eating looking like?[/quote]

as ive said, i work at as a camp counselor at a YMCA camp and the food supply/choice isnt the greatest. and when your running around with twelve ten year old boys 15 hours a day weight doesnt seem to stay with you. i basically live off of coffee and imitation army food.

It definitely sounds like your diet is hampering you. It’s hard to overstress the importance of diet when it comes to body composition changes. You sound like a hard gainer/skinny bastard (correct me if I’m wrong), so you should check out some of the relevant diet articles here on T-Nation.

These include:
Massive Eating I & II
http://www.T-Nation.com/...ic.do?id=460331
http://www.T-Nation.com/...ic.do?id=460327

Skinny Bastard Diet
http://www.T-Nation.comreadArticle.do?id=459839

For general purposes:
http://www.T-Nation.com/...ic.do?id=459493

I’m sure it’s difficult to eat properly at summer camps, but try anyway. And when you get back from teaching at camp, then really dial in your diet. Food logs are especially helpful here; keeping track of your intake allows you to accurately adjust things if they aren’t working.

#1 quit being content that alone will hold you back sure like what youve done but never be satisfied move on yesterday was just that yesterday today and tomorrow are all that count

#2 I agree on the food bro 6’2" 170ish PLer very small id think about moving up a bit you should be able to easily hold 20+ more lbs and and still be ripped and not BIG

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
#1 quit being content that alone will hold you back sure like what youve done but never be satisfied move on yesterday was just that yesterday today and tomorrow are all that count

#2 I agree on the food bro 6’2" 170ish PLer very small id think about moving up a bit you should be able to easily hold 20+ more lbs and and still be ripped and not BIG

Phill[/quote]

thanks Phill - i never really think about the next day when im at a camp…much less about the workout routine that i will be doing. its more or less based on just getting through the damn day with the kids and THEN dealing with the workout. thanks though, ill keep that in mind