Looking for Results

i weigh 300 lbs. my doctor wants me down too 190 lbs. i want to go down too 210. i need a good plan to start losing the excess weight. i recently joined a gym a few days ago. would light lifting help me burn fat? also how long will it take before i see results.

This will probably go against what most on here will say but when someone is starting from scratch, i.e. trying to lose weight when they don’t know much about lifting or diet and such, I think they should focus on doing one thing at a time.

Personally I tell people to start going to the gym, once they have done this for 3 months without losing interest or quiting I will tell them to add in diet. for the first few months you will be getting newbie gains and losing BF while gaining LBM.

you could diet first but I find most guys I know to respond better to lifting as an interest and thing to do. You will want to look into some of the articles on here to get started and make sure you keep good form. any questions post up most people on here will help you out if you ask a good question. Ben

I disagree…

If you’re 100lbs overweight lifting alone will not make any noticeable difference anytime soon. You really need to focus on diet first and foremost.

Take a look at the 7 rules of Healthy Eating article and then start looking at trying a diet plan. T-Dawg 2.0 is a good one, but really anything you do will work for you. You’re body does not want to be 100lbs overweight, so at least you have that going for you. The key is consistancy. You also need to want to lose weight for yourself, not just because the doctor told you to.

I also agree that lighter lifting in the beginning is the way to go. You don’t want to make the workout too difficult until you are in shape enough to handle it. The last thing you want to do is make it so difficult that you dread doing it. Increasing the intensity over time would be a good idea though.