T Nation

Looking for New Routine

I wanted to do OVT but the more I thought about it, it is not going to work for me right now.

My goal righ now is the gain some lean muslce mass than cut in spring/summer, than resume power lifting a lot bigger and leaner than I am now.

So Can any one suggest a body building routine.

I made this up, not sure if it is any good or just a bunch of shit thrown together. Anyway critique.

MONDAY Chest and Back
a1. Flat DB Bench 4x8
a2. Flat Flies 3x8

b1. Incline DB BP 4x8
b2. Incline Flies 3x8

1. Dead Lift 8x3
  2. DB Row 4x10-15
    b1. Pull up
    b2. Hyper

WEDNESDAY BIS/TRIS
a1 Close Grip BP 4x8-10
a2 EZ Bar Curl 3-4x8-10
b1 Skull Crusher 4x8
b2 Hammer Curl 3-4x8
c1 Band pull downs 3x10
c2 Band curls 3x10

FRIDAY Shoulder/Traps
a1 BB Military press 4x8
a2 Side raise 3-4x8
b1 Arnold Presses 4x8
b2 EZ bar front raise

1 Upright row 4x8-10
2 DB Shrugs 4x15-20

SUNDAY Legs
1 BB back squat 8x3
2 Lunches 3x8
3 GHR 4x8
4 RDL 4x8-10
5 Farmers walks

you prefer body part splits or total body workouts?

in my opinion, a total body workout would be better, but then again, i dont know what works for you. i have my reasonings though.

essentially, are you trying to bring up a few body parts, or trying to add total body mass?

My goal is to get to about 175 than cut down to a managable body fat percent. So I guess total body mass.

I like the looks of Waterburys new artice combine ABBH and TBT.

I tried some TBT while I was loosing fat and I liked west side style much more. I did not gain much muslce though. I am thinking about going back to WS4SB 1 and adding in a arms day.

I might try the above routine though, because I have not tried a body part split. Have done a number of TBT and upper/lower splits.

I have no idea hahah

I suppose I can run the body part split above for 4 weeks than do WS4SB1 for 8-12 weeks.

I wont know what works unless I try everything.

then my friend, give it a try. im not gonna be one of those ppl who tries to find the wrong in exercise programs. simple give it a go. if you dont get the results you want, then that means body part splits arent for you. i personally prefer total body workouts, but thats me.

goodd luck man, and remember, you cant build muscle out of nothing. feed your muscle calories and protein.

btw, do you plan on eating several meal b/w your squats and glute ham raises on leg day? just noticed that mistake :stuck_out_tongue:

haha I just cought that.

My diet is in check. Following Berardi’s precision nutrition. ALOT of veggies, chicken, steak, eggs etc etc

Any one try MAX OT? Thinking of going with WS4SB1 next than possibly Max OT.

Like what I am doing fo far, just want to have a plan for the rest of the year.

Thanks

If your have power lifting training, you’ll do great on high intensity programs as MAX-OT.

The thing is that for muscle mass nutrition is under looked, as long as you train really hard, get a good pump from every workout, and progress constantly, the training part will be in check.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I made this up, not sure if it is any good or just a bunch of shit thrown together. Anyway critique.

MONDAY Chest and Back
a1. Flat DB Bench 4x8
a2. Flat Flies 3x8

b1. Incline DB BP 4x8
b2. Incline Flies 3x8

1. Dead Lift 8x3
  2. DB Row 4x10-15
    b1. Pull up
    b2. Hyper

WEDNESDAY BIS/TRIS
a1 Close Grip BP 4x8-10
a2 EZ Bar Curl 3-4x8-10
b1 Skull Crusher 4x8
b2 Hammer Curl 3-4x8
c1 Band pull downs 3x10
c2 Band curls 3x10

FRIDAY Shoulder/Traps
a1 BB Military press 4x8
a2 Side raise 3-4x8
b1 Arnold Presses 4x8
b2 EZ bar front raise

1 Upright row 4x8-10
2 DB Shrugs 4x15-20

SUNDAY Legs
1 BB back squat 8x3
2 Lunches 3x8
3 GHR 4x8
4 RDL 4x8-10
5 Farmers walks
[/quote]

That looks like too much volume IMO. That will depend on the individual of course but honestly i dont see someone looking to get upto 175 needing 15 sets for bi’s for example…thats pretty ridiculous. You should be focusing on getting your lifts higher at this point and not doing so much volume you cant recover

Two questions for you.

1.) What are your maxes in the “big lifts”

2.) What have you done in the past 3 months for training?

Training for the last couple months have been west side 3 day splits.

Max lifts
bench no idea due to shoulder issues, If I had to guess I would say 235.
Squat is 265
DL is 350.

I weight 140. (5’5")

I am only running this 3 weeks to see if I like it or not. If it is too much volume than I will go back to WS4SB 1 or 3.

Ya just do something with higher volume for a cycle or two, and you should make some gains. I’d say OVT or maybe some EDT

deadlifts don’t work your lower body? They are exclusively a back exercise?

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
deadlifts don’t work your lower body? They are exclusively a back exercise?[/quote]

They work all the posterior chain. DF85 u should start programing with that new knowledge.