T Nation

Looking for Feedback


#1

Sup fellas;

Just started lifting, am starting off on Rippetoes program; (I should say im not a complete beginner, I lift on and off, and never stay consistent because or injusries + frustration with all the varying information on lifting I run across, but this time im determined to just find a path and follow through on it)

Anyway, like I said Im on Rippetoes program; So ive been thinking, I would like to strengthen my glutes, my hamstrings, and my core, all in order to help me with the squat and deadlift;

As you guys know, SS is 3 days a week, 1 day rest between, 2 days rest @ end of the week;

I wanted to add in some shit on the rest days to help me with my glute/ham/core goals above;

So, im thinking, on rest day
1) hip thrusts, glute bridges, bird-dogs, etc;
2) stiff-legged deads and other hamstring exercises
3) core work;

Do you guys think this is an okay plan? Im kind of just making this up based on what I feel I need to improve and, and finding the time to fit it in, but maybe more seasoned lifters have a different idea?

Anyway, thanks for reading m8s;

Also plan on posting vids for feedback soon;


#2

If you’re going to do the program, why not just do the program? Getting strong on the squat and deallift will do a lot more for your glutes and hamstrings than glute bridges and single leg deadlifts will.

If you’re 100 percent insistent on adding that stuff, I think that doing a couple sets of glute bridges during your warmup and a few sets of ab work after your main work would be a better way to do it.


#3

[quote]phala wrote:
So, im thinking, on rest day

  1. hip thrusts, glute bridges, bird-dogs, etc;
  2. stiff-legged deads and other hamstring exercises
  3. core work;
    [/quote]

I think that if these things would have helped, Rippetoe would have included them in the original program.

“More is just more, more is not better” Dan John


#4

I feel as though you’d be better served to include some conditioning work instead. You could still get the benefit of increasing your glute, hamstring and core strength without adding on more exercises to the workout itself. Additionally, it would get you a little more volume, improve your conditioning, and probably increase your appetite a little, which would help with gaining weight, and as long as you pick movements without an eccentric, you shouldn’t get very sore from it.

Something like hill sprints, sandbag carries, kettlebell swings for time/reps, sled drags, car pushes, etc etc.


#5

[quote]phala wrote:
I lift on and off, and never stay consistent because or injusries + frustration with all the varying information on lifting I run across, but this time im determined to just find a path and follow through on it)[/quote]
If you know you have a habit of inconsistency, then find the self-discipline to be consistent. Do Starting Strength exactly as written for 18 workouts. That’s not all that much.

Consider it a challenge, or a courtesy to Rippetoe, or a ‘fuck you’ to your old self’s instinct to program hop. Just do the plan as-is while eating appropriately, see where this crazy “just the basics” approach takes you, and then consider the importance of adding things.

Why do you feel those things are in need of improvement?

What’s your current height and weight? And what are your 5RM maxes on the squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, and clean?


#6

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

What’s your current height and weight? And what are your 5RM maxes on the squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, and clean?[/quote]

Height: 6,0
Weight: 145 lbs
Squat: 175 lbs
Dead: 135 lbs [this is as far as ive decided to lift on it, could probably lift more]
Bench: 105 lbs
Press: 105 lbs

im trying to reply faster but all my messages have to be approved, my apologies;


#7

[quote]phala wrote:
Height: 6,0
Weight: 145 lbs
Squat: 175 lbs
Dead: 135 lbs [this is as far as ive decided to lift on it, could probably lift more]
Bench: 105 lbs
Press: 105 lbs[/quote]
Geez dude, yeah. You need less hip thrusts and more hard-boiled eggs.

Seriously, stick to the plan as-is, eat like you mean it (three meals a day, seven days a week. Copious protein, fat, and carbs in each meal), get enough sleep, and you should be on track.

The only asterisk I see is that you said you’ve had injuries before. Is there anything chronic or lingering that’s currently affecting your ROM, causing pain, etc.?


#8

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

The only asterisk I see is that you said you’ve had injuries before. Is there anything chronic or lingering that’s currently affecting your ROM, causing pain, etc.?[/quote]

The previous injury mostly just sets up a mental barrier for me with the squats and deads now; I have no chronic or lingering injury, but im hesitant to move up in weights in some lifts because I dont want to get injured again, shit sucks;

I would say that, and perhaps this just takes time working on the lifts, I am extremely inflexible, especially in the quads and hams, which makes CDL tough for me;

Ill work on it all though, noted on the eating;


#9

[quote]phala wrote:
The previous injury mostly just sets up a mental barrier for me with the squats and deads now; I have no chronic or lingering injury, but im hesitant to move up in weights in some lifts because I dont want to get injured again, shit sucks[/quote]

Add some basic mobility into your general warm-up before lifting. Should be a good start.


or


#10

lmao @ the godfather video;

Alright, ill scrap that plan, stick to strictly SS, eat, and upload my vids here for feedback then;

Thats my plan of action, thanks for the help m8!


#11

That Godfather scene is a classic, for sure