T Nation

Looking for comments on a pyruvate study

I’ve read through the pyruvate discussions in the forum and a t-mag article and the consensus seems to be that the studies which supported pyruvate use had high doses (22-44g/day). However the following study used 6g/day. I don’t have much experience evaluating supplement studies so I’m looking for some t-nation wisdom.

The effects of pyruvate supplementation on body composition in overweight individuals.

Kalman D, Colker CM, Wilets I, Roufs JB, Antonio J.

Peak Wellness, Greenwich, Connecticut 06830, USA.

A 6-wk, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study was done to ascertain the effects of pyruvate supplementation (6 g/d) on body weight, body composition, and vigor and fatigue levels in healthy overweight Caucasian men and women. Twenty-six individuals were randomly assigned to a placebo group (seven men, seven women) and a pyruvate-supplemented group (three men, nine women). In addition, all subjects participated in a 3 d/wk exercise program, which consisted of a 45-60 min aerobic/anaerobic routine. After 6 wk of treatment, there was a statistically significant decrease in body weight (-1.2 kg, P<0.001), body fat (-2.5 kg, P<0.001), and percent body fat (23.0% pre versus 20.3% 6 wk post) in the pyruvate group. Furthermore, Profile of Mood States fatigue and vigor scores improved significantly for the pyruvate group (P<0.05) at 6 wk (vigor) and 4 and 6 wk (fatigue). There was no significant change in total lean body mass in the pyruvate group. The placebo group demonstrated a significant increase (P<0.05) for POMS vigor at 2 and 4 wk with no changes occurring in any of the remaining parameters measured. Thus, the ingestion of 6 g of pyruvate for 6 wk, in conjunction with mild physical activity, resulted in a significant decrease in body weight and fat mass.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 10355844 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

You could buy some or just send me your money. It is a total waste. The only application I have ever seen it work with is as a counter to side effects when using DNP. (And even that is not completly valid.)

Thanks but I’m looking for something more substantial than “it’s a waste”. What do you think about this study?

Michael, you can look for scientific studies or you can look for the right answer.

HMB looked great in the studies done on it, but it never panned out on actual people.

Pyruvate’s been out for years and hasn’t panned out in the real world regardless of what the studies might say.

Do you know who paid for the study? There is one thing that really irritates me about all the studies that everyones does to prove their products are effective. They use small groups 26 people total.(wow!) To bad the FDA doesn’t approve drugs with 26 people studies.
Another pet peeve is the constant use of overweight people to test weight lose drugs. I am not overweight, why doesn’t companys have the courage to use people that have been consistently training for 5+ years. People that understand diet, keep a food log. Use this group as a proving grounds. Kind of like the Methoxy challage, other than that didn’t really have a placebo group.

Just my two cents.Sorry for the Rant!

A few years back a read about Pyruvate and how there are around three companies that claim they own the rights to the product. Why does this matter? They are waged in legal disputes over it and that is why you pay so much for it. Whether it kinda works or not you arent paying for the product you are paying for legal fees.

Michael,

Hi. I worked on that study and about four others with either pure Calcium pyruvate or a combination of other salts.

The reason to use overweight subjects - is that no-one in the scoentific community cares if a product causes weight loss (or assists) in a lean person. What health advantage (think medically, not personally) does weight or fat loss matter to a lean person? - but if an overweight/obese person losses weight, the risk of diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers, hypertension and other real medical conditions is reduced.

We also tested up to 10 grams per day of CaPyruvate in what is known as time-to-exhaustion trials (compared with creatine and other products). Pyrvate is a 5-carbon sugar supplying the body with about 3.4 calories per gram. Animal and human data also indicates a positive effect on T3 activity, resting metabolic rate, maintenance of blood sugar during intense exercise, enhancement of glycogen uptake post-exercise and other good stuff. Thus, potentially, pyruvate may have use for an athlete (those who train intensely). Our studies were published in various journals.

My thoughts on the pricing issue.at one time Abbott Laboratories, MedPro and another company were entagled in a legal dispute. I think all has been settled since most of the pyruvate patents as related to weight control have expired (thus you do not see any company actively promoting a specific type).

Since we did our studies, others have come out testing 4 grams and found nada (weight loss). I think there is an application, but I worry about purity. Medically, there are a whole host of uses.

If you are interested in using it yourself, try getting Ca Pyr from a raw material supplier like DeGussa BioActives.

Doug

Can someone tell me why pyruvate was originally thought to aid in fatloss?

Bump for my last post.

I found a study showing that Pyruvate can increase the synthesis and release of Leptin.

Anyone care to comment?