Looking for an MP3 Player?

I’m the kind of person who does intense research when it comes to what I buy.
Now that I’ve found what i wanted, I thought I’d post here and save someone the time and hassle i went through.

So, recently I decided I wanted an MP3 player to listen to in the car as well as to work out with.
I was looking for quality and price, and I found them in the MuVo Micro N200 MP3 Player w/FM Tuner.

Its a flash MP3 player which is the best for working out because there are no moving parts and thus it can’t skip and there is no delicate hard drive to worry about.

it has very good reviews and the price is excellent ESPECIALLY if you buy it at provantage.com, which is offering the 512 MB blue/white color model for a ridiculously low $69 after rebates. (Other colors can go up to $110)

I bought the 1GB model personally, its $131 after rebates.

Hope this is useful to someone

If I were you, I’d quit wasting my time on shitty MP3 players, I’d man up and get a fuckin iPod. Its the best, bar nunn.

And as far as delicate hard drives go. iPods have a “delicate hard drive” and I’ve dropped it numerous times on hardwood floors, ice rinks (listen while I skate) and I think I dropped it on a driveway once. The moral of the story is, it works just as good as the first day I got it.

Get an iPod. Stop fuckin around with the other MP3 players because you’re just gonna be disappointed one way or the other.

Although I’m not as eloquent and tactful as chrismcl, I have to agree with his sentiment. There’s nothing better than an iPod or iPod mini.

The micro-drives in these things can take a ton of abuse. And 99% of the time there are no moving parts. They can’t “skip” because they don’t play off the hard drive, and even if they did, it would just go back and read it again if it got a read error. This isn’t a CD.

Hard drive based MP3 players don’t play the music off the drive. They have RAM in them just like other players. They spin the drive up just long enough to load three or four songs into RAM, then power it back down. So, as I said, 99% of the time there are no moving parts. It’s playing from RAM just like any other player. The difference is, you might have your entire CD collection and three library’s worth of music on there. What do you want to listen to today?

By the way, I’m not saying the MP3 player the other guy bought is bad. Flash-based players are smaller, lighter, and cheaper. Heck, that’s why Apple finally came out with the iPod Shuffle. Nothing wrong with that if it’s what you’re looking for.

But if you want the best, an iPod or iPod Mini is where it’s at. And they’re still pretty small and light.

Yeah, grow a pair and get an iPod!

Any other MP3 player would be like being in a bad relationship.

If you have an Ipod your eating too much soy.

Flash based Mp3’s are better because they are smaller, aren’t “trendy” and can be worn a lot easier during exercise. I clip mine on the collar of my shirt.

It’s much better than having a big ass white (or pink) ipod tied around my d#$k!

I have a iPod and love it. I just bought a iPod Shuffle for $150 to use at the gym and while exercising because it is smaller and lighter then my 40 GB one. You can’t go wrong with an apple.

[quote]rockhard_4eva wrote:

Flash based Mp3’s are better because they are smaller, aren’t “trendy” and can be worn a lot easier during exercise. I clip mine on the collar of my shirt.

It’s much better than having a big ass white (or pink) ipod tied around my d#$k![/quote]

If you actually care what your player looks like and that it is too trendy, maybe you’re the one ingesting all the damn soy. I have had ZERO problems with my 40GB iPod and I have a band holder to wear it on my upper arm. I could care less what someone else thinks about the color of it… Yeah, flash based are smaller… as in smaller capacity, smaller usefulness and so on. If you are going to use the MP3 player for all of your music, why skimp out?

And I am pretty concerned about where you were thinking about clipping an iPod. You might want to talk to someone about that.

Kuz

[quote]rockhard_4eva wrote:
[/quote]

You’ve convinced me. I should buy an inferior product because it will make me a Real Man. I’d hate to be a metrosexual! Good thing I have you to look out for my manliness. Thanks.

You know, sometimes things are “trendy” because, you know, they actually do something WELL.

I have a minidisc player (Sony NetMD) which holds 4 hours of music. Picked it up for 50 bucks. Who needs/has 40 gigs worth of songs to even listen to? Wow, congratulations, you spent 400 dollars on your iPod, too bad you’ll only use 1/20th of the capacity, if that. Even the mini’s are expensive. iPods are nice for sure, but for 300 - 500 dollars?? Give me a break. My brother bought a CAR for less than that.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
And I am pretty concerned about where you were thinking about clipping an iPod. You might want to talk to someone about that.[/quote]

Maybe that’s why he wanted the pink one.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I have a minidisc player (Sony NetMD) which holds 4 hours of music. Picked it up for 50 bucks. Who needs/has 40 gigs worth of songs to even listen to?[/quote]

Oh wow, talk about really crappy technology. Congratulations, you win!

Well, let’s consider that an iPod will also work as a USB/Firewire portable hard drive, and there you go. Beats any flash-based USB dongle, hands down. It’s bigger capacity and faster.

But back to music. The Sony MD crap uses horribly compromising compression just to get that much music on a disc. I record all my MP3s in the highest variable-bit-rate (VBR) compression available. That makes them a LOT bigger than your average 128-bit MP3. But they are completely indistinguishable from the real CD. You could probably fit about four of those songs on the average 256MB flash player. Sixteen on a 1GB player.

Yet, my 20GB iPod has all ~2400 songs in my entire CD collection recorded at that highest bit rate. I’m currently using about 14~15GB of the hard drive, so I still have a little space left. I certainly didn’t waste any.

Any time I ride the bus to work, I can always play “what do I feel like listening to, today?” And I have my entire CD collection to choose from. No matter my mood, the music I want is already there.

ipods have bad sound quality output, look around for the reviews, i did this extensively and found far too many people agreed that the ipods have bad sound quality. however, i did come across some reviews that the ipod shuffle had overcome its sq issues and that apple was going to be stepping it up with its other models. but if your listening to mp3s, who cares?

iPod rocks.

www.dapreview.com

[quote]Kuz wrote:
rockhard_4eva wrote:

It’s much better than having a big ass white (or pink) ipod tied around my d#$k!

If you actually care what your player looks like and that it is too trendy, maybe you’re the one ingesting all the damn soy. [/quote]

OOHHHHHHHHH SNAP!!!

Whatchu got to say to that BITCH?!?!?!?!

My 40GB iPOD is the best consumer electronics product I have ever purchased. Period. And the iTunes software is great, too.

Why spend $131 on a 1GB flash mp3 player when you can get so much more from Apple?

Have you looked at the BENQ ones? Less pricy than the competition.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
My 40GB iPOD is the best consumer electronics product I have ever purchased. Period. And the iTunes software is great, too.

Why spend $131 on a 1GB flash mp3 player when you can get so much more from Apple?[/quote]

And it can be a very versatile 40GB device, but, man, those accessories, like hook-ups to digicams, sure are expensive.

Is there ‘alternative’, clone hook-ups that cost less?

Sonny,
i have this exact player and it is awesome. forget ipod, i know it is all the rage but i dont like them. this muvo one has been nothing but top notch and the battery life is second to none. i have never been happier with a player.