T Nation

Looking for an Article (Carbs + Fat)

I have no idea if this is the right place for this, but maybe someone else remembers this article and I'm not crazy...

I remember reading an article a while back (~4 years?), way back when separating meals into protein + carb or protein + fat was all the rage. The article quoted a study of some kind which found that the combination of carb + fat actually released "pleasure chemicals" in the brain.

I can't remember if it was supposed to be dopamine or was similar to the effects of some drug/chocolate/whatever, but I remember the main idea of "carbs + fat = addictive!" from the article.

I ask because I have a friend who is beginning to work in the nutritional areas of epidemiology, and focusing specifically on the effects of obesity rates within the food stamp program and the effects on things like medicare. I know that people who take the "food stamp challenge" often comment that they never realized how cheap processed carbs and fat were vs. how expensive proteins are when on a food stamp budget. I mentioned the above factoid which I remembered, and she was curious about it, hence I'm trying to find the article/study again.

I've already tried any string of half-remembered string of words I can think of in the search bar, and any help is greatly appreciated.

John Berardi splits meals into protein+carbs and proteins+fats so I would imagine it was one of his articles you are thinking of. If you haven't already, I would look through some of his older stuff to see if it's there.

You know, I remember that article, but I can't exactly remember what the name of it was.

Regardless, the researcher's name that made that analogy was Paul J. Kenny, Ph.D., an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute in Jupiter, Florida. Shouldn't be too hard to find the original study.