Looking for Advice on My Program

5/3 basement
bench 365 3x2
315 5x3
1 arm db military 80lb 5x5

started quest to 220 today-have to lose 38.5 lbs

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Do any of you have friends and family that think you’re nuts because you want to lift a ton of weight and walk around the yard with 100lbs of sand? I’ve scoped out this big used loader tire in a sand pit I’m trying to get home…my wife thinks I’m a nut. Anyone else have this happening?[/quote]

LMAO…That sounds familiar. Wife knew I was crazy from the start, but the looks from passers by are classic. I love my tire, and I’ve picked up some stones I love to carry around as well. You sure are strong Brother, I’ve got no advice for you, in fact I’ll be looking to see what you’re doing. Welcome!

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
5/3 basement
bench 365 3x2
315 5x3
1 arm db military 80lb 5x5

started quest to 220 today-have to lose 38.5 lbs[/quote]

Short session and some hard drivin’ there.

I have great envy.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
I tried the overhead squats but I just cant do them, even with with just the bar. I don’t know if its flexiblity or what.[/quote]

I hear you on that. When I first saw these, I thought I’d try them too, no problem!

Boy, was it ever a shock when I first tried an OH squat with just the bar, and nearly feel over backwards and lost the bar. I was just glad no one was in my part of the gym.

But, a couple months later, I can do them pretty comfortably, although not yet with a lot of weight (about 50kgs or so). But, they’re improving, and they feel great. What did the trick for me was doing shoulder dislocators and constantly practicing the movement at home with a broomstick or something else.

Try 'em!

Thanks for the input. I fall forward with front squats.

I got the big tire home I found in a nearby sand pit. Its like 5 feet tall and must be 300+/- lbs. I killed myself getting it home. I hurt my left elbow so bad I’ll most likely take the week off from training. I’m pumped to do a sand bag-big tire workout.

I meant overhead squats…

danjohn.org has an interesting 50 minute seminar he gave about how to get low for overhead squats and O lifts. Its free and you can watch it right on your computer. I’m gonna start trying some of his tricks to get lower.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
danjohn.org has an interesting 50 minute seminar he gave about how to get low for overhead squats and O lifts. Its free and you can watch it right on your computer. I’m gonna start trying some of his tricks to get lower.[/quote]

I saw that, and there is some great info on there. Unfortunately, it cuts out right when it really starts getting good!

I have nothing to post because my elbow is still bothering me. It feels like really bad pitchers elbow, it hurts grabbing or bending. Hopefully by Monday with some ibuprofin I’ll be doing something.

Feeling much better today…sooner then I thought I would. Going to try some speed bench today. Back on my diet too. The past few days I’ve had family over and lunches at work…I was very bad.

5/9
speed bench 240 8setsx3reps
close grip bench 225 3x5
skull crushers 100+bar 4x6
bent over rows 225 4x8
light front/lateral raises combo 25s 3x10

workout went OK, but the skull crushers killed my left elbow

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
5/9
speed bench 240 8x3
close grip bench 225 3x5
skull crushers 100+bar 4x6
bent over rows 225 4x8
light front/lateral raises combo 25s 3x10

workout went OK, but the skull crushers killed my left elbow[/quote]

As long as they didn’t kill your skull… LOL

Nice work!

Thanks soldog.

I’ve felt like a slug all week not workingout. Feel great now.
Going to try speed box squats this weekend. How low does the box need to be? Mine is 16 inches…to high? I’m so inflexible the box squats hurt my joints much more then the muscle.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Thanks soldog.

I’ve felt like a slug all week not workingout. Feel great now.
Going to try speed box squats this weekend. How low does the box need to be? Mine is 16 inches…to high? I’m so inflexible the box squats hurt my joints much more then the muscle.[/quote]

I don’t really know. For a first guess I’d say measure the distance from the ground to the back of your knee and have the box shorter than that. Or sit on the box and see if your hip joint is lower that your knee joint - I think that is the regulation squat depth. Although, if squats hurt your joints - are speed squats the thing to do?

You might want to try some high does fish oil. Calson’s is the best in a bottle, although the word is that Biotest’s Flameout caps are super duper. It’ll help reduce inflammation. Seems to make my joints more supple as well.

MSM and Chondroitin and Olive oil are also good things for us “experienced” lifters to take.

I use a 16" inch box at 6’ tall and it puts me just below parallel. I have long legs for my height though. You may want to use a 14 or 15 inch box or even a 10". But Soldog’s suggestion is best, really. Find out what suits your body part lengths.

sounds good…make it lower then my knees.

Maybe I should stick to front squats and goblet squats until my flexibility improves. Thanks soldog.

5/12
tire flip
some sprints with the kids

front squat 135x5,225x5,315x3,225x5
goblet squat 80x5x3 sets

5/13 (9 PM)
clean 205 3x3
dead 405 3x3 (1 set regular, 2 sumo)
dead 315 2 setsx3reps (regular)
stiff dead 225 5x5
B row 225 5x5
chin up BW 5 setsx2 reps

I hate workingout this late. I didnt fall asleep until 12.

If you have some time you might want to check out Chad Waterbury’s Total Strength Program. He has some specific programs to increase BP and DL. I am currently working another one of his programs (SOB Training) for hypertrophy but am looking forward to these strength programs in a few months.

Thanks RWE, where do I find the workouts? on-line or book?

A good night’s work, ecogenx. Any particular reason why you are mixing sumo and conventional DL on work sets?