Looking For A Serious Diet Critique

I’ve been working out hard and eating this diet for the past 11 weeks. When I started I was 148.8lbs. Currently I’m 173.2lbs. My goal is to get to 185lbs-190lbs, but have most of the weight come from lean muscle mass. It seems to be working for me so far, and I’m close to hitting my recommended macros according to the macro calculator off of bodybuilding.com.

What I’m looking for is a serious critique of my diet. What would you sub out, remove, or add to this diet and why?

Thanks!

Are you vegan or vegetarian? Just asking as it looks like you’re taking in a TON of shakes, and your other meal has tofurkey. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just don’t want to make a suggestion of something you wont eat.

Dude, you seriously need to assess for yourself if it’s working! Your weight gain is substantial. If your waist and abs are pretty much as you left them then extra credit as you’ve built a shed load of lean mass. If you’re carrying a spare tyre then you need a total rethink. I do know that Milos Sarcev used to consume 500 CHO per day and he was a beast, so either you handle carbs like he could or you are getting fatter. Be honest with yourself and move on from there.

I just re-read this post, and i retract my answer. Because I originally thought it said “11 months” Nearly 30lbs in less than 3 months is the exact opposite of a lean bulk, unless like @JamesBrawn007 said above your body handles calories carbs like a literal machine.

Other questions:
Why does it seem like you are avoiding actual food?
Why are you avoiding vegetables?
Why are you avoiding meat?
Why are you eating over 1,000 calories over maintenance so quickly in your bulk?
Could you provide what your workout is like, training days, rest days, etc?
Could you possibly provide pictures? A “clean bulk” normally seems to yield around .5lbs per week gain. Do you think you might be a little off basis in your assumption it is working? Do you look any better?

1 Like

Lol, what the fuck is Tofurky???

5 Likes

To answer your question above, I’m vegetarian.

And to answer both yours and @JamesBrawn007’s statements, aside from using the bathroom an insane amount of times a day (I’m drinking at least a gallon of water a day on top of this), my body seems to be handling everything I’m putting into it just fine (minus the occasional deathly gas). I’m leaner and more defined than I’ve been in my 22 scrawny years of existence. When I was 148lbs I didn’t have abs. At 173lbs I can see my abs, not that they don’t still have some fat on them, but I can see them now better than I’ve ever been able to before. There’s no spare tire.

And finally to answer the rest of your questions:

1 - I’m not trying to avoid actual food, I just lack a lot of time outside of work and working out to cook. I tried to make my meal plan as least time consuming as possible. I meal prep my pasta every Sunday, which means I could definitely meal prep other meals to eat throughout the week in place of what I’m eating now, but I haven’t because I’ve been happy with the results I’ve been getting so far. Although I’m open to suggestions!

2 - I incorporate 1 cup of spinach and 1 cup of kale into my mass gainer shakes. So I get a total of 2 cups of leafy greens a day since my mass gainer is one huge shake I split into 2 shakes. I drink 1 in the morning and 1 at night. I wouldn’t say I eat all the veggies I should, I really enjoy eating them, but I just didn’t program them into my diet outside of what I said above.

3 - Personal decision. It’s been 4 years now.

4 - According to BB.com’s calorie calculator, maintenance for me is supposed to be around 3018 calories a day. I’m not sure how accurate their calculators are, and I’m sure it’s impossible to pin point what you need spot on, but going off of that I’m 573 calories over maintenance. For “Muscle Gainz”, it suggests I eat 3518 calories a day. So I’m pretty close to their suggestion.

5 - I’m using the Sheiko #37 program as my base, so all my core lifts, deadlift/bench/squat, follow exactly what he has written. I’ve modified it adding other workouts, and added days in between the regular M/W/F core lift days that focus on accessory work and sometimes I’ll throw in a cardio circuit at the end. My workouts average around 2 hours to complete, sometimes a little shorter and sometimes a little longer. I have a home gym setup so I can take my time doing each exercise, and can rest as long as I need without having to worry about hogging equipment. I workout 1-3 days in a row, then take a day or 2 to rest depending on my work schedule. I’ve read multiple articles suggesting every other day or no more than 2 days in a row should be the max amount of days you should be working out in a row, but I try to also listen to my body. If I feel good after 2 days I’ll work out that 3rd day, but I take a mandatory rest day afterwards. I’ll post my routine when I get home from work.

6 - I’ll gladly provide some progress pictures once I get off work! From what I’ve read online, I do feel like I’ve gained weight very quick (it sounds like most people put on 10-15lbs when they first start working out if they never have before), but I’ve never felt or looked better.

Probably not enough cofactors, micronutrients and pythochemicals wich are essential to recovery, immunity and general health!

I would eat more vegetables (not just brocolis), eat more nuts else then peanut and teas are great way to get phytochemicals

How is your omega 3 intake?

Lmao, your comment had me cracking up. What I buy is a veggie alternative to Italian sausage. Link below.

Tofurky

1 Like

I take in a total of 8tbsp of Smuckers Natural Creamy Peanut butter a day. 4tbsp are incorporated into my mass gainer shakes, and 4tbsp are mixed in with my oatmeal. I also mix one serving of Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal into my mass gainer shakes, which claims to contain a total of 2400mg of Omega-3s. I haven’t researched into how much O3s I should be taking in daily though, but I will today for sure!

Does your dogma allow fish oil? Serious question no offense intended. Plant based O3’s aren’t on the same level. Something about the conversion of ALA to EPA & DHA is very low.

Krill are less sentient than fish… and the lipids are in a better form. Just a thought.

Yes I can use fish oil! By definition I’d consider myself a pescetarian since I have ate fish recently. I just went so long without eating any form of meat until about a month and a half ago when I had some salmon, but I haven’t eaten fish since. I’m down to try out fish oils though. I’ll look into it!

I would take 1 to 3 grams of omega 3 (not grams of fish oil but pure omega 3 epa + dha)

good luck buddy

I have not read every post but whomever is advising you on you diet stop listening to them. It appears to be void of fruits and vegetables (unless I missed something). You will never have long-term success gaining muscles if you are not healthy. And that is the direction you are heading in with this atrocious diet.

1. Eat no less than 9 fruits and vegetables per day

2. Start eating some real meat and cut back on all the shakes. You have made supplements into dinners. They call them supplements for a reason they “supplement” your diet as in real food.

3. Get 8 hours of sleep. I know your question is about diet but your food consumption is so poor I am guessing that you are doing other things wrong too.

Okay, sorry if this was harsh but you asked and I am giving it to you straight. You need to eat a far healthier diet or you will fail long-term…it’s just a matter of when.

Good Luck

ZEB