Looking for a Second Opinion

Id drop the front raises completely.

Drop the leg extensions for a) stiff legged deadlifts b) dead lifts or c) stiff legged deadlifts.

Id drop the blank for a heavy weighted ab movement. Just choose one. Doesn’t matter which.

Id change the db flyes to an incline db flye.

Keep eating, and listening to your mate. He sounds like a good bloke. Honest to which is hard to come by.

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
21.5 inch neck with 12 inch arms doesn’t sound right…[/quote]

I look like some prisoner who just got liberated from Auschwitz. tiny arms tiny wrists, no legs and a bloated belly. I think the neck is just from finding this neck harness as a kid in my brothers old boxing kit bag. I would do these weird workouts consisting of press ups, situps and hundreds of weighted neck raises ha. My neck is yoked yo. Real talk!

Also I think I may of found out why My arms have never grown. When I do curls I normally lower the weight so my arm is completely straight and bring it up to the shoulder. This means I have to use light weights and according to the instructor dude it becomes more of a shoulder/tendon workout and does not stimulate the bicep.

I used this thing called a bicep isolator, you put it around your neck and it has a metal strip with curves that hold your arms and elbows in place, he said lower till my arms are almost straight then lift till nearly shoulder height. My biceps were bulging in the mirror and felt insane like my skin was glues to my bicep.

I always have my elbows moving and stuff so hopefully this will help with the stunted arms :).

I was close to your weight and height when I started, so I know what it’s like… my advice is: train full body three days a week. The routine that really helped me was

A)
squat 3x5-8
DB bench 3x5-8
DB row 3x5-8

B)
deadlift 3x5-8
military press 3x5-8
(weighted) chin up 3x5-8

(alternating, i.e. week one=ABA, week two=BAB, week three…)

focus on getting stronger and eating enough food. start with 2500 calories and 130g/protein, add calories and protein (in this order) if you gain less than a pound each week. Do this for ten weeks straight.

[quote]BeginnerBrah wrote:
Stiff leg dead lift was in there too but I won’t do them as I fucked my back up doing dead lifts when I first stared and it was agony. Don’t want to do them from now on. Is it really that important? I have the non military version of trigger flinching with dead lifts.
[/quote]

I can promise you that this will be the biggest mistake you ever make in your weightlifting journey. You are setting yourself up to fail as hard as possible with this attitude toward deadlifts.

I know where you’re coming from. When I first started, I tore the shit out of something in the lower left side of my back. I re-tore the same place three times before I got through my thick skull how to use correct form. Since then I haven’t had an injury and I am over 500lbs on the deadlift.

Maybe I’m a bit too gung-ho on them, but honestly there is nothing better for your back (or you in general) from a health or strength standpoint. If I had to pick one exercise to do for the rest of my life, it would be deadlifts.

[quote]csulli wrote:

Stiff leg dead lift was in there too but I won’t do them as I fucked my back up doing dead lifts when I first stared and it was agony. Don’t want to do them from now on. Is it really that important? I have the non military version of trigger flinching with dead lifts.
[/quote]

I can promise you that this will be the biggest mistake you ever make in your weightlifting journey. You are setting yourself up to fail as hard as possible with this attitude toward deadlifts.

I know where you’re coming from. When I first started, I tore the shit out of something in the lower left side of my back. I re-tore the same place three times before I got through my thick skull how to use correct form. Since then I haven’t had an injury and I am over 500lbs on the deadlift.

Maybe I’m a bit too gung-ho on them, but honestly there is nothing better for your back (or you in general) from a health or strength standpoint. If I had to pick one exercise to do for the rest of my life, it would be dead lifts.[/quote]

Dead lift was my strongest lift but I just can not be doing with another injury. I dead lift about 120KG for 2 sets 10-12 reps before having to drop the weight, no straps. The Injury happened when I was tired and on my last set. Because that is when my form starts to breakdown. Maybe I should start using straps on my last sets if I start doing them.

Plus Dead lift seems to fuck my grip up for the rest of my workout. Dead lifts are the assholes of the exercise community.

Hey man, i’m not new to the site, but new to posting here. Something about your situation made me wanna reply, so here’s my advice…

For the first 2-3 years of lifting (if you plan on being in it for the long haul) stick to total body training a la Startting strength or like someone above me posted (with alternating days). I know its been mentioned to death before, but there’s a reason for that. Another alternative is Madcow’s template 3 days a week…you stick to Squats/bench/rows/DLs for low reps with assistance work. The frequency of this training will help you train technique and over time will get you strength and motor skills, which in my opinion should be developed before hypertrophy.

Later on, after you’ve developed some decent strength, i’d fluctuate my training into a more hypertrophy specific routine once you know your body better. Dave Tate (who trained like a powerlifter before training like a bodybuilder) mentioned something about this in one of his articles where he talks about developing a program for longevity (something like 16 wks strength phase, 14 wks hypertrophy etc.). When you build the strength, you can come back to working lighter weights with high reps for hypertrophy and size. Coupled with good technique you’ve learned over the years, it’ll be much easier.

I’m a 30 yr old lifter and started lifting when i was 18. I did all sorts of BBing split routines in the past and while it got me muscle, it didn’t get me strong. After years of inconsistent training Im currently on one of the madcow routines trying to put up bigger numbers on the big 3, and wish i knew about this a lot earlier than later. Just my 2 cents.

PS: this comment “Dead lifts are the assholes of the exercise community” made me lol. I understand back problems but i think u should still do them with supervision from the dude at your gym. If it still worries you, sub for something else. Jim Wendler mentions in his latest article you can sub for trap bar DLs (provided your gym has them). If youre not a PLer, you shouldn’t always have to do them. Btw, the pain might be coming from doing them for long sets, whcih i would never do until i’ve mastered the motor skills necessary, which brings me back to my original points…sorry for the ramble.

Dead lift was my strongest lift but I just can not be doing with another injury. I dead lift about 120KG for 2 sets 10-12 reps before having to drop the weight, no straps. The Injury happened when I was tired and on my last set. Because that is when my form starts to breakdown. Maybe I should start using straps on my last sets if I start doing them.

Plus Dead lift seems to fuck my grip up for the rest of my workout. Dead lifts are the assholes of the exercise community.[/quote]

I never go over 5 reps on any deadlift set. If I do, then I keep the weight very light.

Heavy singles, doubles, and triples seem to work well. I definitely would not go until “having to drop the weight”.

Don’t use straps, it is good to train your grip. If your grips is hosed for the rest of the workout, then so be it. Try some Kroc rows and do your deadlifts without straps. Your grip will be the last thing you have to worry about. Also weightlifting chalk will be a huge boon.

I am curious as to the nature of your lower back injury. Care to elaborate?

[quote]csulli wrote:

Plus Dead lift seems to fuck my grip up for the rest of my workout. Dead lifts are the assholes of the exercise community.[/quote]

I never go over 5 reps on any deadlift set. If I do, then I keep the weight very light.

Heavy singles, doubles, and triples seem to work well. I definitely would not go until “having to drop the weight”.

Don’t use straps, it is good to train your grip. If your grips is hosed for the rest of the workout, then so be it. Try some Kroc rows and do your deadlifts without straps. Your grip will be the last thing you have to worry about. Also weightlifting chalk will be a huge boon.

I am curious as to the nature of your lower back injury. Care to elaborate?[/quote]

He recommended like making periods of the year dedicated to certain types of lifting. Like 4 months lifting the weights ten to twelve times each go and then going to six to 8 times and the last four months being a kind of strength range of I think four times. For now though it is 10-12.

I might throw dead lifts in on Leg day then which is my favorite day. Just go low reps and do not need straps because it is leg day so who gives a fuck about sore forearms.

I will also stop before total exhaustion of the lower back, which is probably just common sense that I lacked first time round.

As for the back injury, I was on my fourth go at dead lifts and my whole body was trembling and on about lift seven I wobbled forward and then stabilized and I had this agonizing pain right near my lower spine that made me just stand perfectly still for like a minute going ahaha aha ahahahahaa awww, then had to be helped down the stairs and get a lift home. I was off work for rest of week and my back was in very bad pain for about a month.

I never went to the doctors though I had an operation as a kid and now refuse to set foot in the place. I just popped a shit load of painkillers left over from another injury we had, pretty sure they were out of date.

So yeah that pretty much sums up what happened. No I am not retarded, my mother had me tested :slight_smile: