Looking for a New Watch

I’m in the market for a new watch and was looking for a little input for ideas based on others’ experiences and preferences. Usually I just buy something like a $40 Timex because I always seem to find a way to crush the damned thing but, at this point in my life, I’d like something that exudes a little more professionalism and class.

I’d lean more towards a metal band rather than leather because I just find that leather straps get degraded too quickly by water etc. I really like classic masculine designs. I’m also not fond of those massive watch faces that it seems like everyone wears these days. Anytime I see one of those, I always think the guy is trying to overcompensate for some deficiency (like the “bone crusher” handshakes that are so favoured by little guys).

Anyways, I’d love a TAG Heuer or Omega but my blood’s not that rich. Maybe something in the $500 range. Suggestions?

I’m particular towards Hamiltons in that price range of watches below Tag and Omega . Usually classic and timeless looks. Every once in awhile you can find a certain style of their watches in the 500 to 600 range.

Also look into gray market retailers as well for watches. No need to overpay.

I like Tissot watches. A good entry level luxury Swiss watch. There seem to be a few in your price range on the US website.

Invictus watches are sexy as

I’ll second Tissot. You should be able to find one for under 500. Swiss made, durable face, with a classic design. I’m with you where I don’t like more modern giant faced timepieces. I’ll be able to wear my watches for the rest of my life with minimal maintenance.

I just do not like the metal banded watches. I like the way they look but they are just extremely uncomfortable. One brown leather with a gold or cream face, one black leather with a silver face and I feel I have covered my bases as far as suitts and shirts.

If your blood was rich enough take a look. Love this site.

At that price point, you have a large selection to choose from. Just go to a watch site and pick one you like in your price range. You could also go to a site like Timzone or WatchUseek and look to purchase a watch second hand. I’ve had very good luck both buying and selling on each of those sites.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
At that price point, you have a large selection to choose from. Just go to a watch site and pick one you like in your price range. You could also go to a site like Timzone or WatchUseek and look to purchase a watch second hand. I’ve had very good luck both buying and selling on each of those sites.[/quote]

Do you offer G+ friends discounts lol? My grandfathers vintage Rolex Oyster was supposed to go to me but the bitch daughter in law beat me to it. Fuck.

A lot of good brands have been mentioned. I second Tissot and Hamilton.

A few others I’d look into at that price point would be the following ;
Victorinox Swiss Army
Skagen
ESQ

Oh and don’t discount the fashion names like Guess and Michael Kors. They have extensive watch collections that won’t break the bank.

By the way, what are you looking for, something dressy or sporty?

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
At that price point, you have a large selection to choose from. Just go to a watch site and pick one you like in your price range. You could also go to a site like Timzone or WatchUseek and look to purchase a watch second hand. I’ve had very good luck both buying and selling on each of those sites.[/quote]

I was suggest something like this as well. Finding a early Rolex (before they were all platinum and gold) will give you a timeless watch with a story behind it without costing you 10K.

Around that price point Citizen have some great watches, I absolutely love mine.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
Do you offer G+ friends discounts lol? My grandfathers vintage Rolex Oyster was supposed to go to me but the bitch daughter in law beat me to it. Fuck. [/quote]

The Oyster is a beautiful watch.

I just got rid of all my watches. I still appreciate the nice ones, but have no desire to own them anymore.

Except for an Explorer. If I ever buy another watch, it will be that one.

If you want a unique vintage watch in mint condition, you could try tempussuisse.com. The cheapest watch there at the moment is about $1,500, but they’re always getting new ones in and they seem willing to negotiate a bit. Prices are in British pounds, so you need to multiply by 1.63 to get the USD equivalent.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I just do not like the metal banded watches. I like the way they look but they are just extremely uncomfortable. One brown leather with a gold or cream face, one black leather with a silver face and I feel I have covered my bases as far as suitts and shirts. [/quote]
I actually prefer the look of leather bands as well but any of them I’ve ever had have started to degrade too quickly. I do a fair bit of swimming with them on and I have to wash my hands a lot at work so they end up looking pretty shabby.

I have not worn a watch for a couple of years now. I have a Bulova that can’t be fixed within reason. It lasted me 15 years with no problems. Wasn’t very expensive either. When and if I purchase another watch it will be a Bulova. Until then I am using my cell phone.

[quote]CMdad wrote:
I’m in the market for a new watch and was looking for a little input for ideas based on others’ experiences and preferences. Usually I just buy something like a $40 Timex because I always seem to find a way to crush the damned thing but, at this point in my life, I’d like something that exudes a little more professionalism and class.

I’d lean more towards a metal band rather than leather because I just find that leather straps get degraded too quickly by water etc. I really like classic masculine designs. I’m also not fond of those massive watch faces that it seems like everyone wears these days. Anytime I see one of those, I always think the guy is trying to overcompensate for some deficiency (like the “bone crusher” handshakes that are so favoured by little guys).

Anyways, I’d love a TAG Heuer or Omega but my blood’s not that rich. Maybe something in the $500 range. Suggestions?[/quote]

I’m a watch guy and have a pretty good collection of nicer watches: Audemars Piguet, Ulysses Nardin, several Rolexes — but the one I get the most compliments on is my CHEAPEST, and well within your price range.

Go on ebay and find an older, beat up, Rolex, preferably a Daytona or a old military Rolex, that has been recently serviced. You can find one for under $500. I found an old black case one from the 1960s that was perfect.

Put a NATO strap band on it (about $20): BINGO, looks like a $25,000 Pro-Hunter Rolex.

People have stopped meetings and asked about the watch, several times.

Total investment: $450.

[quote]Arjen Rudd wrote:
I’m particular towards Hamiltons in that price range of watches below Tag and Omega . Usually classic and timeless looks. Every once in awhile you can find a certain style of their watches in the 500 to 600 range.

Also look into gray market retailers as well for watches. No need to overpay.[/quote]
I’d never heard of Hamiltons before so I checked them out on your recommendation. They definitely have that classic look to them. They remind me of designs from the first part of the last century. The only problem is that they are generally a little more expensive than I can swing.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Go on ebay and find an older, beat up, Rolex, preferably a Daytona or a old military Rolex, that has been recently serviced. You can find one for under $500. I found an old black case one from the 1960s that was perfect.

Put a NATO strap band on it (about $20): BINGO, looks like a $25,000 Pro-Hunter Rolex.

Total investment: $450.[/quote]

You can’t find a dial for a Daytona for $500. Hell, the box alone from the 60s or 70s would be worth more than $500. I paid over $1,000 for my Daytona’s 5 year service, you’re not going to find a recently serviced vintage watch for less than half the price of a service.

And in 10 years of collecting, I’ve never seen a vintage, black-cased Rolex. I’d love to be wrong, because it would be a great opportunity to learn more about a truly rare watch.

Got any pics?

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]CMdad wrote:

Anyways, I’d love a TAG Heuer or Omega but my blood’s not that rich. Maybe something in the $500 range. Suggestions?[/quote]

I’m a watch guy and have a pretty good collection of nicer watches: Audemars Piguet, Ulysses Nardin, several Rolexes — but the one I get the most compliments on is my CHEAPEST, and well within your price range.

Total investment: $450.[/quote]
Damn, that sounds amazing! I’m definitely going to look into this option