Looking for a New Strategy to Gain Strength

Hi,
I am a healthy 47 year old who’s been working out for 7 months. Have seen the transformation in both looks and strength but it looks like I have hit a wall regarding making the expected strenght gains I was hoping for. I weigh 73 kg and cannot pass 65 kg on an inclined press for 6 weeks now. I use the reverse pyramid method where I start with 1 RM and gradually decrease the weights but try to up the reps as I go along. I read someone mentioning a certain German method , you guys have any advice to give regarding?
Cheers.

That’s a decent incline bench at your weight after a short time.

Why not try what I understand is sometimes called double progression? Start at 40 kg. Do five sets of five to eight reps. When you can do all five sets at eight reps, go to 45 kg and repeat. Try that for a few months. I’d be surprised if you didn’t see some good progress. Also work on your overhead pressing variations, flat bench variations and plenty of rowing (vertical and horizontal).

Many thanks,

I think that is quite similar to what they call Plateau training:
Set 1: 6 reps @ 81%
Set 2: 6 reps @ 81%
Set 3: 4 reps @ 86%
Set 4: 4 reps @ 86%
Set 5: 2 reps @ 90%
Set 6: 2 reps @ 90%

Or this:

Set 1: 5 reps @ 82%
Set 2: 5 reps @ 82%
Set 3: 5 reps @ 82%
Set 4: 3 reps @ 88%
Set 5: 3 reps @ 88%
Set 6: 3 reps @ 88%

I will try your method as well, thank you for your time.

1 Like

5/3/1 is the go-to for strength gains.

GVT for strength what you were referring to…

Cheers for the link, most helpful! Will try to implement that as much as I can and will post if I survive to tell the story.