Looking for a Jack of All Trades Program

I bet if I looked back at my training I’ve inadvertently done exactly what you’re saying. Do this program but prioritize one lift over the others. Find a weakness and do the same but put the new exercise first. I’ve done hypertrophy & strength programs. I’ve added plyos for increasing power.

I’ve never done a program that does all three of those things at once. I guess that’s the beauty of training–there’s always something new to do (not new exercises, but new priorities).

I’d consider myself a jack of all trades. I don’t really see the point in being an expert or elite at anything. But then again, it’s probably not in the cards for me in the weightlifting world with my height and limb lengths. That’s probably helped me accept being decent or good but not great. I’m also a cop so that suits my needs better anyway.

1 Like

But its after years of training. If you aren’t all around good at things after years of training there is something wrong in your programming. My main issue with this post was a jack of all trades program where you focus 100% on every single lift and wind up being pretty shitty at all of it. I think the real take away for the OP here is to train hard at all things, just not at once

And I agree with this whole heartedly and it was very well said. I never meant any of what I posted to come off rude, just to enlighten the OP. I’ve done a lot of programs in the past, and more times than not, wasted a fuck ton of time trying to be amazing at everything.

1 Like

5/3/1. Doesn’t matter which template but I think triumvirate would work best

1 Like

These numbers would be more accurate:

A decent 198 powerlifter:
Squat: 500
Bench: 365
Deadlift: 600

Program ADD Lifter who foam rolls, changes goals every week, is totally in the know about Kelly Starlet’s mobility WOD, and “grams” his workouts
Squat: 315
Deadlift: 405
Bench: 245
Snatch: 115
Clean and Jerk: 165

Bottom line, squat more. Bench and deadlift too. How awesome will you look when you can squat 405 for sets of ten? Guess how you get there?

2 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of a 165lb guy in my example but yep, I agree.

Tactical Barbell’s Base Building block is a ‘jack of all trades’ program IMO.

This looks like a generic ‘I want to be big and strong’ workout

In other words if your dedicated and train for powerlifting you will be stronger than someone who doesn’t train for powerlifting and is not dedicated and makes dumb choices? That seems more like a side effect of the person and not the training method and goals.

YAYYYYY, I qualify as a better than decent 198 lifter! I’ve actually exceeded each of those numbers at 181.

I’m gonna go celebrate with a beer. I hear it’s good for me.

And I guess I might as well address the OP to some extent here… Somebody earlier mentioned being a jack of all trades means being average at everything. While I generally think that you’re right when someone describes himself in this way, when you get into the actual original post, it’s not really that. It’s getting good at the powerlifts and oly lifts. that’s actually a fairly limited scope, and it’s very reasonable to assume that a person could train for both and succeed in both. I mean really, Strongman training as a whole has a larger scope involved that even the combination of weightlifting and powerlifting, and it’s certainly possible to be good across the board in strongman events. You have so many variations of different movements that you have to learn a very broad range of techniques, and you have to be brutally strong as well. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

You know what they say: a beer a day keeps the abs away.