T Nation

Looking For a Good Bodybuilding Book

My first thread didn’t really take off so maybe this one will.

I am just about to finish Thib’s I-bodybuilder and I am looking to start a bodybuilding split. I’ve gotten tremendous strength gains from this program but now I am looking to start a program geared towards hypertrophy.

This website has a wealth of knowledge and I know if I spent a ton of time searching I could probably find everything I need here but I am looking for something a little more consolidated and something I can read in bed or on the go. I’m not looking for a book to give me a program to do but something that explains the methodology behind why I am doing it and what the physiology is behind what I am doing so I can make informed decisions about my own program. I want to know why am I doing a pyramid or dropset or why do I need to work within certain rep ranges.

I appreciate your time and any recommendations you may have.

Chris Aceto’s “Championship Bodybuilding” lays out all the basics very nicely. It hits all aspects of the world up to contest prep even.

I just checked it out on Amazon and it has a bunch of great reviews and it sounds like it is what I am looking for. Thanks a bunch and if that’s you in your avatar nice work.

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:
I’m not looking for a book to give me a program to do but something that explains the methodology behind why I am doing it and what the physiology is behind what I am doing so I can make informed decisions about my own program. I want to know why am I doing a pyramid or dropset or why do I need to work within certain rep ranges.[/quote]
Hard to beat Arnold’s New Encyclopedia for Modern Bodybuilding for most of that info. It does reinforce the stereotypical “low reps for strength, higher reps for size”-type methods, though. Also, kinda hard to read it “on the go” because it’s huge.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Hard to beat Arnold’s New Encyclopedia for Modern Bodybuilding for most of that info. It does reinforce the stereotypical “low reps for strength, higher reps for size”-type methods, though. Also, kinda hard to read it “on the go” because it’s huge.[/quote]

Ha ha it’s funny you mentioned this one. My buddy who was staying with me for a while had this book and I think he left it at my place. I am going to have to go through my storage I think it’s in there and you are right it is massive. You may have saved me some money.

Instead of reading, get into the gym and lift some stuff. Stick to the big 3 (Bench, Deadlifts, and Squats). Also MILK and SQUATS never hurt anyone.

You can do it. Get into the gym.

If you’re interested at all in the history of bodybuilding, I’d check out Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors.

Reading it right now, it’s great.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
Instead of reading, get into the gym and lift some stuff. Stick to the big 3 (Bench, Deadlifts, and Squats). Also MILK and SQUATS never hurt anyone.

You can do it. Get into the gym.[/quote]

I have been. I am about to wrap up 16 weeks of Thib’s I-bodybuilder. I just want a better understanding of what I am doing. I have had great increases in size and strength using it. I want to start focusing on a bodybuilding split now.

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

You can do it. Get into the gym.[/quote]

I have been. I am about to wrap up 16 weeks of Thib’s I-bodybuilder. I just want a better understanding of what I am doing. I have had great increases in size and strength using it. I want to start focusing on a bodybuilding split now.[/quote]

Hopefully after reading Aceto’s book you’ll realize how silly the I-BB program is =)

[/quote]

Hopefully after reading Aceto’s book you’ll realize how silly the I-BB program is =)[/quote]

Ha ha Thanks man. I just placed the order on Amazon can’t wait to get it. I-bodybuilder served it’s purpose I guess. It got me motivated and consistent but now I want more. I’ve been at it for 12 weeks and gained over 10 lbs. I started at 160-165 and I’m up to 170-175. I’ve also put about 50 lb’s on to each of my big 3 and I haven’t even hit the chest portion of the program. This may be beginner gains but I will take it.

All and all I am happy with the gains and motivation it has given me.

I have heard carrying a shoe when you take pictures of your abs make you look bigger.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
I have heard carrying a shoe when you take pictures of your abs make you look bigger.[/quote]

I thought that was to get a proper estimation of body fat percent.

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
I have heard carrying a shoe when you take pictures of your abs make you look bigger.[/quote]

[/quote]

My bad. I still have the image of him with the pasties on.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[/quote]

My bad. I still have the image of him with the pasties on.[/quote]

I bet you do.

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[/quote]

My bad. I still have the image of him with the pasties on.[/quote]

I bet you do.[/quote]

That is the funniest thing on the interwebz.