T Nation

Looking for a 5 Day Split Routine

Have been having the hardest time putting together a training programme for building up some real solid mass (Im 18, 5ft 10 and 131lbs,) but still hoping to see only small increments in bodyfat levels (I’m sitting on 5%.) I want to do a 5 day split so that I can really blast individual muscle groups separately.

I know all the compound exercises which should be included, but don’t know what isolation ones I should include and which I should forget about. If anybody has any free time, could they show me what they think a great 5-day training split would be, keeping my goals in mind? Attached a picture of my current “status”- I really need to get some muscle mass on!!

Take a shot at any of these articles. I have a few of the ones I like in my favorites.

Quattro Dynamo is worth mentioning.

You completely do NOT need a 5 day split.

You need a lot of educating.

You are really really at point 0 - absolute beginner. THAT IS GOOD. Only way is up from here!

Get the book Practical Programming and read it and then you will know something.

All beginners should read it. Actually everyone should.

This site has ten million articles on it all good and some, apparently “conflicting” with others.

Rather than get lost in that it would be better to get a base understanding.

If you are set on doing a split try my routine entitled The Shut Up Program. 4 hard days are all you need, since you have a hard time gaining weight you don’t want to do too much extra work. I agree with the above recommendation of reading Practical Programming, Starting Strength (same author) is another good one to check out to make sure you are performing the key exercises correctly. Good luck with your workouts,
Tim

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=07-029-training

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
If you are set on doing a split try my routine entitled The Shut Up Program. 4 hard days are all you need, since you have a hard time gaining weight you don’t want to do too much extra work. I agree with the above recommendation of reading Practical Programming, Starting Strength (same author) is another good one to check out to make sure you are performing the key exercises correctly. Good luck with your workouts,
Tim

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=07-029-training[/quote]

Had a look at the split there and am really considering trying it out. Anybody any recommendations for how much I should eat if following a 4-day routine like this?? I’m currently eating 2800 a day…

Re read my first post. YOU DON’T NEED THAT.

WTF are people recommending an advanced split to a beginner for?

You will make some gains. Anything works for a beginner.

But you won’t make rapid gains. Not the most rapid you could.

As a beginner you could be training the same bodypart 3x a week and make progress EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT.

Do you want to progress at 3x the speed or at 1x the speed?

You don’t need to “blast” any bodyparts.

If anything that is going to stuff you up.

But hey don’t listen to me, do this fancy routine, then, do another, and come back in a year asking what the hell is wrong with you and why you can’t progress.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Re read my first post. YOU DON’T NEED THAT.

WTF are people recommending an advanced split to a beginner for?

You will make some gains. Anything works for a beginner.

But you won’t make rapid gains. Not the most rapid you could.

As a beginner you could be training the same bodypart 3x a week and make progress EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT.

Do you want to progress at 3x the speed or at 1x the speed?

You don’t need to “blast” any bodyparts.

If anything that is going to stuff you up.

But hey don’t listen to me, do this fancy routine, then, do another, and come back in a year asking what the hell is wrong with you and why you can’t progress.[/quote]

Sorry man, I have read your reply, and I’m grateful that you took the time to give me advice. I had a look at the book which you recommended buying, and was considering getting it; money’s tight with me at the minute though, so I don’t know what I’ll do. I didn’t mean to sound disrespectful or anything, but it’s not that I was ignoring your advice

I have to agree with Magarhe. At your size and development focusing on heavy, compound lifts in a total body workout will elicit the best response. If you want to mix it up a bit there are many routines that provide a compromise.

Upper body / Lower body
Upper body Push / Upper body pull / Legs
Squat, Chest and Back / Deads, Shoulders and Lats
etc. etc.

The key is to stimulate a hormonal response and then support those growth signals with sufficient nutrition and rest. Keep it simple for now and work those big muscle groups. Strict form is a must as you will be training your neurological as well as your muscular systems. Keep up the intensity with progressive overload (try to add a little weight, more reps/sets each workout), be consistent and be patient.