T Nation

Looking Back on It...

Doing HIIT cardio four times a week wasn’t that smart. Yesterday was a chest day and I couldn’t really make the mind-muscle connection. THEN, I realized I was burning out my CNS by incorporating HIIT. MY goal was to just look good-not to gain mass or to lose fat. (I ate alot)

SO for all the haters’ out there, give Steady state a try. It’s not that bad. Kind of a pointless post, but here’s a cool link that lets you see where your 1rm’s match up to others in your weight class. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/weight.htm

I actually agree, that if one MUST add cadio, then steady state is the way to go for BBers.

When I look at many of the routines we use, there is already a cardio factor built in when you consider, for example, a heavy set of squats brings on seriously heavy breathing and elevated heart rate, followed by a reasonable rest, then hitting the squat again, etc.

An hour workout like this has GOT to have a similar benefit as HIIT cardio. To add a HIIT cardio session on top of this seems counterproductive, as you’ve already experienced.

I haven’t done intense cardio on a regular basis for over a year. Walking on a treadmill at a steep incline is about it.

For me, that was a mistake. I now find that my conditioning is holding me back on leg and back days. Low rep stuff is fine but if I’m into 10 reps or higher (or those goddamn 20 rep breathing squat sets) then my cardiovascular system is shutting down before my muscles.

I thought that heavy weight training would be enough. But, apparently I need to do HITT or GPP or whatever you want to call in order to be able to go as hard as I want in the gym.

I think doing HITT 4 times a week would be too much for me (time, energy and calories burned) but I am adding 2 days a week and see what happens. Likely jumping on the bike and going hard for 20 minutes or so around the neighborhood (lots of hills here). I suppose I could do steady state but I get bored to tears. Intervals suit me better; short and hard.

Just another instance where ‘more is better’ ends up causing more harm than good. So many folks thought I was crazy doing such a small amount of cardio during my prep (20 mins of intervals twice a week), but it cuts into your recovery quite a bit more than many realize.

S

[quote]giterdone wrote:
I haven’t done intense cardio on a regular basis for over a year. Walking on a treadmill at a steep incline is about it.

For me, that was a mistake. I now find that my conditioning is holding me back on leg and back days. Low rep stuff is fine but if I’m into 10 reps or higher (or those goddamn 20 rep breathing squat sets) then my cardiovascular system is shutting down before my muscles.

I thought that heavy weight training would be enough. But, apparently I need to do HITT or GPP or whatever you want to call in order to be able to go as hard as I want in the gym.

I think doing HITT 4 times a week would be too much for me (time, energy and calories burned) but I am adding 2 days a week and see what happens. Likely jumping on the bike and going hard for 20 minutes or so around the neighborhood (lots of hills here). I suppose I could do steady state but I get bored to tears. Intervals suit me better; short and hard.[/quote]

Just be careful. ALot of people on this site say there is no such thing as overtraining only undereating. That’s bullshit. Also, one thing I realized is if you split your cardio up to doing it before and after weights, you get benefits.

A)Doing it before “warms up the muslces,”
B.) Doing it after helps "cool down the muscles, (flush all of the toxins out.)
C.)You aren’t as bored.

I do cardio regardless because its the only thing that keeps my “GET FAT OR BUST” genes in check.

Maybe you made a mistake making 4 times a week instead of 3 or 2 HIIT sessions and that type of cardio isn’t bad by itself. Most people will have a better time never going higher than 3xw.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
Doing HIIT cardio four times a week wasn’t that smart. Yesterday was a chest day and I couldn’t really make the mind-muscle connection. THEN, I realized I was burning out my CNS by incorporating HIIT. MY goal was to just look good-not to gain mass or to lose fat. (I ate alot)

SO for all the haters’ out there, give Steady state a try. It’s not that bad. Kind of a pointless post, but here’s a cool link that lets you see where your 1rm’s match up to others in your weight class. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/weight.htm [/quote]

Not to be a dick, but I don’t understand people like you. You say doing HIIT 4 x per week is too taxing on your system - so what do you do? Drop HIIT altogether and switch to steady state!

I have NOTHING against steady state cardio. Just like every approach it does have it’s benefits. I’m commenting on how people go from one extreme to the other - skipping countless “moderate” steps along the way.

Sometimes you don’t have to completely revamp what you’re doing, but make sensible adjustments to find their sweet spot.

That said if this new approach is giving you what you want then good for you!

[quote]Protoculture wrote:
Stength4life wrote:
Doing HIIT cardio four times a week wasn’t that smart. Yesterday was a chest day and I couldn’t really make the mind-muscle connection. THEN, I realized I was burning out my CNS by incorporating HIIT. MY goal was to just look good-not to gain mass or to lose fat. (I ate alot)

SO for all the haters’ out there, give Steady state a try. It’s not that bad. Kind of a pointless post, but here’s a cool link that lets you see where your 1rm’s match up to others in your weight class. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/weight.htm

Not to be a dick, but I don’t understand people like you. You say doing HIIT 4 x per week is too taxing on your system - so what do you do? Drop HIIT altogether and switch to steady state!

I have NOTHING against steady state cardio. Just like every approach it does have it’s benefits. I’m commenting on how people go from one extreme to the other - skipping countless “moderate” steps along the way.

Sometimes you don’t have to completely revamp what you’re doing, but make sensible adjustments to find their sweet spot.

That said if this new approach is giving you what you want then good for you!

[/quote]

I never said drop HIIT altogether. In fact, I was doing it so much BECAUSE I loved it so much. What I’m saying is it’s very difficult to get the most out of weight training when doing HIIT 4 times a week. REguardless of how much you are eating.