T Nation

Looking At A New Routine, Critique?

Hey guys.

Been on a full-body workout for 4 weeks now, following same Day 1, 2, 3 routine throughout these 4 weeks. Looking for a new workout and I came up with this, some comments, recommendations please? (Goal: putting on muscle, obviously lol)

Day 1:
(Rest 2minutes between each set of 5x5, 1minute between all other sets)
Olympic Squats: 5x5
Bench press: 5x5
Barbell Rows: 5x5
Good-Mornings: 3x8
Weighted Sit-ups: 3x15
(Super set) Skullcrushers: 3x12
Triceps Pulldown: 3x10

Day 2:
Cardio

Day 3:
Military Press: 5x5
Deadlifts: 5x5
Pull-ups: 5x5
Preacher Curls: 3x10
(Super set) Weighted Russian Twists: 3x12
Rope Crunch: 3x15

Day 4:
Off

Day 5:
Bench Press: 5x5
Dips: 3x10
(Super set) Rope Crunches: 3x15
Skullcrushers: 3x12

Day 6:
Off

Day 7:
Cardio

Follow this routine for 3 weeks, and then 1 de-load week. Repeat process for another month.

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
Hey guys.

Been on a full-body workout for 4 weeks now, following same Day 1, 2, 3 routine throughout these 4 weeks. Looking for a new workout and I came up with this, some comments, recommendations please? (Goal: putting on muscle, obviously lol)

Day 1:
Bench press: 5x5
Good-Mornings: 3x8
Weighted Sit-ups: 3x15
(Super set) Skullcrushers: 3x12
Triceps Pulldown: 3x10

Day 2:
Cardio

Day 3:
Military Press: 5x5
Deadlifts: 5x5
Pull-ups: 5x5
Preacher Curls: 3x10
(Super set) Weighted Russian Twists: 3x12
Rope Crunch: 3x15

Day 4:
Off

Day 5:
Bench Press: 5x5
Dips: 3x10
(Super set) Rope Crunches: 3x15
Skullcrushers: 3x12

Day 6:
Off

Day 7:
Cardio

Follow this routine for 3 weeks, and then 1 de-load week. Repeat process for another month.

[/quote]

I’m not too sure that I care too much for your program…

Given what I know about your situation, I would cut out the cardio and cut the ab work way back. If you must do cardio why is it on day 7 and 2? Why not 7 and 4?

With your lack of experience lifting I would save the 5x5 for six months from now and go with 3x8. I would keep rest intervals at 1 min or less between sets and excercises. I would concentrate on these and only these exercises:

Squats
Deadlifts
Incline Bench
Overhead Press
Bent Row
Dips
Pullups

I am very happy to read you are gaining weight. Eat huge and work with these exercises over the next six months and you will be very happy with the progress you make.

Good Luck.

Thank you very much!

Could you direct me to an actual workout I can follow? That way I can mark progress, ect.

Oh and thanks for being happy for me :), I’m happy also haha. I’ve gained 9lbs so far, only putting me at a measily 126. I’m gettin’ there though

Write it down. Write down those exercises and do them. That is the best way to keep track of progress.

I use a Day-Timer for my workouts. I keep track of the exercise, sets, reps, rest intervals and weight. I also use it for my food log. You can use a loose leaf binder, a note pad, anything. Just do it. Make it a habit.

Don’t worry about being a “measly” 126. There is a skinny kid reading these posts saying, “I wish I were a measly 126.” Just take it one day at a time and eat like a horse and lift like an elephant and soon you just might be bitching about being a “measly 200”.

Day 1: Bench press skull crushers AND tricep pushdowns? Not pulldowns, the triceps push. Unless you’re loading extremely light, 3 triceps exercises 2 of which are isolation is just not going to happen. Not with the picture you’ve painted of your body in the past. Best to cut one out and increase load on one.

Day 2: Cardio. Drop it. Way too much caloric expense and after a REAL leg day, not some half assed “I think I feel a bit of burn” is not a good thing for recovery. I did a leg day yesterday and there’s no way I’d go out and run right now.

Day 3: If you must do military press make sure it’s in front of your head and not behind it because of external rotation strain. Especially with a 5x5 heavy load. Pull ups and preacher curls: honestly, I’d do weighted pull ups and drop the curls. Tax your biceps shoulders and lats all at once. With 5x5 loading, which I’m still not sure is good for where you’re at with physical development, will give you plenty of bang for you buck.

Day 5: I’m a bit skeptical on your ability to do 30 dips. I’m even more skeptical of your ability to do 30 dips, then do bench with a heavy load and then also do additional triceps work.

If you weren’t who you are it’d be an intense program. For you it seems like a pipe dream. You have too much intensity with too heavy loading and at 6’1 126 or whatever you are I honestly don’t think you have the infrastructure to support his program. Either post the workout you’ve been doing for the past month so we can actually see what you’re capable of or…just post your last program. Then we’ll come back and reevalutate this.