Look Like A Bodybuilder Perform Like An Athlete

I’ve been doing it with 87,5 % but reduced they weight sometimes when my reps didn’t felt as explosive as I wanted them to be. CT mentioned we should train em light-ish so I assumed 87,5 % (cuz part of upper push) but not at the cost of explosiveness and speed!
Been having some great results after 4weeks especially in the squat department

CT since I consider myself more like a crossfit kinda athlete (wanting to be good in as many disciplines as possible) I am thinking about doing 4 weeks of “Athlete lean athlete strong” as soon as I finished my test week (which is giving me some astonishing results so far)

When doing this, I also want to reduce my calories gradually because I want to lose as much fat as possible without losing the strength I just gained.

Do you think this plan - doing 4 weeks of “Athlete lean” just after I finished my first 4 week training cycle of this programm right here is a viable option?
What do you think of doing “look like…” on a calorie deficit?

As always: Vielen Dank/ thank you

I would think that 87% is too high. The article states: “(2) Train back squat light, focusing on speed and technique.”

I have done them much lighter myself. (and see pretty good leg-growth btw.)

If I were to do the 3 exercises spread out during the day (am, noon, pm) would the results be better, worse, the same or depends…?

If I were to do it with only 2-4 of the 6 lifting days and split them up into 2 or 3 sessions, would any days be better than others? Would I benefit more from the heavy days being spread out or from the light days spread out? I’m leaning towards spreading the lighter days out mostly. Because of the higher number of sets, less taxing on cns over the course of the day and more practice with technique.

I’m also thinking the upper days, because that would leave squats in a mini-session of its own.

On the other hand there is also nutrition and timing to think about - even though I’m not too worried about that (anymore).

Mostly though I’m just doing it on days where it fits my schedule best, irregardless.

Christian, thank you so much for all the information. I was blown away by the article as it is absolutely not your run of the mill advice. As soon as you started talking about pushing being performance I knew it was going to be a good article. I then forwarded it all the friends I have that are real into training. Thanks!

Anyway, I have 2 questions.
  1. Can you elaborate on some good ways to build up the maximum strength size and power of the biceps and lats? Many programs use heavy weighted chins almost like a primary exercise. From your writing I take it you would be against that. What is the high performance equivalent for training the biceps and lats? Would you do a bunch of continuous tension reps while staying far away from failure similar to how a gymnast might use those muscle groups? Would you add in separate exercises for the biceps and lats? Can you get max power strength and size from the biceps and lats? I know you say they are not power muscles and they are for grabbing and holding. I also noticed you said 6-10 tension based reps after a neural charge workout. I don’t really understand all of your thinking behind the way you approach lat and bicep training. Could you elaborate on how you could add in that work and why you do or do not choose various training tools for the biceps and lats?

2. is there a way to utilize this type of programming, explosive compound lifting with a MTW and de-emphasized eccentrics, that can be applied to a 3 days per week program. If someone can only train 3 days per week how could they receive some of the physiological benefits of this type of training. I understand that 3 days a week in no way compares to 4 5 or 6 but am wondering how I can incorporate the other aspects of this protocol into my training. I really want to feel like I am becoming a better athlete from my weightlifting instead of just looking slightly better.

Thank you again for all the help. I am blown away that you are lending this type of expertise on the forum.

Hi Mr Thibaudeau, I have a question: my shoulder press movements aren’t very strong, so after calculating my MTW and then taking 30 lbs off for zone 1, I’m basically left with just the bar. Is that okay? Is 30 lbs for zone 1 too ridged for all movements? 30 lbs off strict press for zone 1 is relatively a lot more than high pull. I’d love your help because I love this program!

If your lift is not strong you can use a bit more weight since the -30 and -20 range might end up being too low. Go with a weight that you can accelerate to significant level

Hi Mr Thibaudeau, I’m on to week 2 of the program and really enjoying it. I actually look forward to going to the gym, which is rare for me.

I have a question: I understand your reasoning behind pressing, but is it okay not to have any type of row or pull up? Aren’t rows important for posture and back development? Even pullups?

Thanks.

how is this going for you? I have just finished week 1 and am enjoying it

I’m in the middle of week 6 and I’m really blown away by the results.

Here are my results ( 3RM ) from the 1st 4week training cycle
Bench from 220 lbs to 253 lbs
Squat from 352 lbs to 400 lbs
OHP fom 150 lbs to 200 lbs
SGDL from 374 lbs to 385 lbs

just to name a few. I’m a 1,74m guy. my bodyweight also increased by 5lbs from 180lbs to 190lbs(whilst staying lean).
I think it’s safe to say that I’ve never felt this strong. so big props to CT…

nice work mate. I just finished 915, hitting lifetime PRs so the weights now feel really light. But I suppose that’s the point, so you can be explosive

I feel ya. honestly I wasn’t really diggin this program at first. Mainly because I wasn’t used to lift light weights whilst trying to be as explosive as possible. But I got stronger and also felt better so my attitude towards this program changed drastically. Keep it up :slight_smile:

Hello Mr. Thibaudeau!
Is it possible to incorporate C & J and Snatches in this program? If so, should any exercises be replaced or/and some other changes be made?

(Sorry english isn’t my first language).

Thank you!

I do full snatch instead of muscle/power/hang snatch - because I want to practice it. It’s working very well.
I also clean all the weights for my push presses and strict presses, but not every rep, just for every set.

That of course have to be taken into consideration when you add your squats (how much volume and intensity - the recommendation is keep them light) and your other accessory work you do (I do minimal extra work and just as CT advised keep it far away from failure and limited volume).

I’m not very skilled at the olympic lifts, but becoming better fast.

1 Like

That’s very good results oVerdoZzZed. Props to you for sure! I am in the middle of week 4. The results have been very impressive thus far. I am regaining some past strength for sure. Your OHP increase is no joke (you have increased your BW too which also help OHP immensely).

Thank you Norcient!

So Snatches on lower body day and Cleans w/ press on upper? I am novice to the OL, particularly the Snatch.

You mentioned doing full Snatch instead of Muscle Snatch. Do you follow the rep- and weight scheme for the training zones w/ Snatches? Still do High Pulls?

I really don’t have a Snatch 3RM, still learning technique. Would you recomend working up to a challenging weight for some singles? The OL lifts is, for me, very taxing.
Also I do Dips instead of Bench in a accessory kind of way, like 3-4 sets of bodyweight dips w/ a couple of reps left in tank and some ab work. Not very much else.

Yes.
I tweaked it slightly because of limited equipment at the moment (floor press instead of bench).
But I do it as close to the article as possible - that fits me.

Upper day: Strict Press (cleaned every set), Push Press (cleaned every set), Floor Press. - and light squats working on technique/explosiveness/pausing etc. (added work can be light higher rep rows - and I also once a week add light “Snatch drops” and other non-demanding exercises - but in a pm session at home just for like 10 minutes)

Lower day: SG-High Pull, Snatch, SG-Deadlift (added work can be light/higher rep hamstring movements).

That’s it.

Now, I can push press/strict press MORE if I do it from a rack instead of cleaning it. Because of the setup with a rack is much tighter etc. But I want to improve my clean also, and as long as I’m lifting very explosively still I don’t think I’m losing out much if any with the presses.

I follow the rep and weight scheme for the training zones for ALL lifts - including the snatch. Sometimes I cut a set short if I feel I lost explosiveness. I just do full snatch instead of muscle snatch, and really mostly because I finally wanted to really learn the lift properly. Now, because my snatch is not very good yet I muscle snatch roughly the same.

I would recommend to still follow the 3RM guidelines if you want to do full snatch. One of the methods of this program is to practice the same lifts over and over and become really effective and good at them. I think this is one of the better ways to learn the OL lifts - without going into full-style olympic lifting programs.

If you’re relatively weak in the snatch then the weights will also be light. You pick your 3RM, then x 0.875. And from that you deduct 10-15kg depending on the day. So essentially you’re working with pretty light weights. This is the LEAST taxing ‘program’ I have done in a long time. And probably one of the least taxing by CT. It is coincidentally also the approach giving me best results overall. I think this is highly suited for people not on super-supplements.

I must say I’m improving my snatch fast this way. I’m looking forward to testing it again in a week, but so far the explosiveness I have now, compared to (non-existent) when I started is surprising myself in a positive way.

In terms of muscle growth it definitely packs on fast. And especially upper back, glutes/quads/vastus especially and shoulders. My butt is growing and my shirt is getting tight.

In terms of doing dips instead of bench - that is probably fine, but depending on your dip strength you could just do it with weights attached in a dip-belt if you wanted.

Also, I didn’t want to jump into adding extra work form the get go and wanted to run through it at least one or two times before adding extra work ( and seeing WHERE I need to add it). I think I need to add some pec-isolation but still cautious with to doing too much.

2 Likes

I’d be quite interested in what pec-isolation u are adding, because that’s exactly what I was thinking about.
Usually I do 25 dips at the beginning of the workout, also periodized in 3 different zones: without weight (on zone 3 upper days) lightish weight, “heavy” weight (on zone 1 upper days), trying to maintain explosiveness throughout the reps and trying to keep those 25s in max 3 sets.

Also I tweak the Zones from time to time. Mostly zone 1 days when I do paused reps.
Fuckin love this program.

Have u implemented some conditioning in your program? I still need to find a way to add some HIIT (complexes, sprint intervalls etc) without destroying the whole idea behind this program right here (low intensity high frequency)
I’ve done some hill sprints (am) prior to my upper body Zone 1 and 2 workouts (pm), but I dunno if this is too much.
what’s your opinion on that?
greets from Germany

I’m not adding any chest isolation yet - but I will start by adding 1 rest-pause set of chest flyes per week. Likely with a weight that gives me something around 15-20 reps in the first “rest-pause-mini-set”. I’ll back off of something else just a smidgen so as to not change the overall taxation on the system. If everything goes to plan, then after a while I will re-ass and add another rest-pause set of a different chest isolation exercise making it 2 per week (on the same day).
My delts and triceps takes the brunt of the work when pressing, and I have never built a big chest by benching only. So much so that my chest has atrophied slightly during this training cycle (the only muscles to do so…).

I don’t see much of an issue in changing the zones around - if that means you perform better on some days. It is good to be able to auto-regulate. With that said, I think it’s important that the zone 3 (the heavy) for lower body - which is the most taxing - is followed by the neural charge day.

Once or twice I have had an off-day, instead of the specific lifting I was supposed to do. I did neural charge instead. I don’t see an issue with that either - adding a neural charge day ad-lib if needed - quite the contrary. As long as it’s only a a few times over the course of the whole cycle.

I haven’t implemented conditioning yet. I do brisk walking several times a week, which is not taxing, but quite the opposite.
You could add just 1 session once a week and keep that one to a minimum of volume and do a mix of approaches. Then gauge from there. My “opinion” is to not get hubris in how much you can do - because most times when you figured out it was too much - it is too late already…
However, it also depends on so many other life-factors, your age, stress, eating, supplements, drugs, sleep, mental state, environment and what have you. If I am eating well I can handle much more work. When it is summer and I train outside, I can handle much more work. When I supplement well… when my mental state is positive and “healthy” I can handle much more work. When I sleep like a kitten next to a baby wrapped in silk then I can handle much more work…
The better overview over these factors I have… the more work I can handle…figure that!..
As long as your main-lifting are all still very explosive and you feel powerful then you’re probably in the ‘safe-zone’.

CT,

How would you go about adding carries into the mix (if at all)?
On NC day only, Zone 1 day only, every day?

Thanks