Look Like a Bodybuilder/Perform Like an Athlete, HP Mass Questions

Hey CT,
Just have a few questions before I begin the High-Performance Mass program.

1. Can I do the Front squat instead of the back squat on the upper body days?

2. Should I do the Snatch Grip High Pull and Muscle Snatch from the floor or from the hang/blocks?

3. For the Muscle Snatch, should I use a Snatch Grip or Clean Grip on this program?

4. As I would use less weight on the muscle snatch than the snatch grip high pull, should I do the muscle first on lower body days?

5. On the assisted work for upper body for traps, rhomboids and rear delts using the staggered sets, what is a good protocol to use per exercise in terms of sets & reps, and how many exercises to do per session?

6. Are the exercises done one at a time or in a circuit style?

7. You mentioned you do some type of pressing everyday even on lower body day, how would you implement pressing on lower body day?

Thanks for the help,
PK

You do the squatting variation that you decided to use for the program. If you want to use the front squat, fine, but use it instead of the back squat for the whole program

Both work. But unless you have a lot of experience with the olympic lifts (was an olympic lifter, did them for years as an athlete, or did a lot of crossfit) I would do them from the blocks or hang, not from the floor

It doesnā€™t matter as long as you stick with the same variation for the whole program

Follow the order in the program.

1-2 exercises per sessiionā€¦ 8-10 reps not to failureā€¦ staggered means between sets of the main work so that takes care of the number of reps. Note that you only do ONE exercises staggered at a timeā€¦ for example you would do band pull-aparts between sets of benchā€¦ if you want to do a second exercise you would stagger it between sets of the next main lift.

1 Like

One at a time

That was when I did that program; I donā€™t do that all the time at all.

Do the bench press or overhead press on lower body days like you do the squat on the upper body daysā€¦ non-fatiguing levels

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback CT.

Just to follow up:

1. With the staggered sets, so the number of sets will be determined by the number of sets on the day for one of the main lifts lift, ie 5, 6 or 8 sets?
    For example Military Press 8 x 3 with staggered sets of band pull-aparts 8 x 8-10 not to failure?

2. ā€˜Do the bench press or overhead press on lower body days like you do the squat on the upper body daysā€¦ non-fatiguing levelsā€™
    Do you mean keeping the upper days the same but add in extra work of bench press or military press on lower body days, using the same lighter weights used for the squat on upper body days?
    Example
    Upper Body Days

• Military Press
  • Push Press
  • Bench Press
  • Front Squat

Lower Body Days

• Snatch Grip High Pull
  • Muscle Snatch
  • Snatch Deadlift
  • Bench Press or Military Press (using squat protocols)
  1. Finally, I read you mentioned the snatch grip deadlift was a quad dominant exercise, did I read that right?, how should I perform this exercise normal deadlift style or Olympic/clean deadlift style?

Thanks again for the help, cant wait to get started,
PK

Looks like my kinda program! Room for extra oly lifts to start?

Sure, one liftt as activation, not too heavyā€¦ something like 5x2-3 @ 70-75%

Hey CT you may have missedā€¦

Just to follow up:

1. With the staggered sets, so the number of sets will be determined by the number of sets on the day for one of the main lifts lift, ie 5, 6 or 8 sets?
    For example Military Press 8 x 3 with staggered sets of band pull-aparts 8 x 8-10 not to failure?

2. 'Do the bench press or overhead press on lower body days like you do the squat on the upper body daysā€¦ non-fatiguing levelsā€™
    Do you mean keeping the upper days the same but add in extra work of bench press or military press on lower body days, using the same lighter weights used for the squat on upper body days?
    Example

Upper Body Days

• Military Press
  • Push Press
  • Bench Press
  • Front Squat

Lower Body Days

• Snatch Grip High Pull
  • Muscle Snatch
  • Snatch Grip Deadlift
  • Bench Press or Military Press (using squat protocols)
  1. Could you do something like DB incline press as that upper body exercise on the lower body day? or would BB be better?

2. Finally, I read you mentioned the snatch grip deadlift was a quad dominant exercise, did I read that right?, how should I perform this exercise, as a normal deadlift style or Olympic/clean deadlift style?

Thanks again for the help, cant wait to get started,
PK

Yes, but you donā€™t have to do staggered sets between every set. So 4-8 would be fineā€¦ the more staggered sets you do the less ā€œhardā€ you go on each set.

Yes, but I would be careful in adding anything to the program (even staggered sets). Do it exactly as planned for 2-3 weeks before thinking of adding anything,to see how your body is handling it. I donā€™t know why, but I have a feeling that you will overdo it.

Do the same exercise you are doing on your upper body day

Itā€™s a quads dominant exercise if you do it right.

A snatch grip deadlift is NOT a regular deadlift with a wide grip. The purpose of the wide grip is to be able to get your hips down lower in the starting position while still having the shoulders above or slightly in front of the bar.

If the hips are lower, the knees are bent more, the quads are stretched more and they are recruited more.

So when you lift the weight DO NOT shoot your hips upā€¦ the torso angle should remain the same until you pass the knees.

Hey CT. Could you suggest a complete beginner program for me.
I am 253 pounds looking to transform over the next 16 weeks as part of a challenge
My maintainance is 3500 calories and my deficit will be about 700-800 calories
I have been lifting for 2 months with little to no progress
Please help!!!

Iā€™m a coach who gets paid to design personalized training programs. So you will understand that I cannot provide a program for free to everybody who asks one! Wouldnā€™t be fair to my paying clients. Sadly I have not written an article about how beginners should train. But Starting Strength by Rippetoe is pretty good.

1 Like

CT has multiple programs on t nation and thibarmy you can look up to see what program relates to youā€¦ Personaly Iā€™ve done the power look program with great results if thatā€™s a program that interests youā€¦

And just finally,

1. When calculating my mtw for the Hang high pull and the Hang muscle snatch, do you count them as a lower body or upper body for the calculations (87.5% or 80%)?

Thanks again
PK