Lonnie123 Metcon For Muscle Log

First post just to create the log. Cant quite believe I got selected to be in it, but glad to be a part of it. Have been in kind of a training funk for a while now, just going through the motions after I put the 2 kids to sleep and just trying to maintain what I have built over the years. Training has been very basic, 3 big movements a workout, 3-5 “hard” sets, and then Im done.

Was about to start something new to inspire some new motivation, so this is a great time to do this challenge!

1 Like

@Christian_Thibaudeau , You have a good substitute for the prowler walking and sled dragging? Im home-gym’ing it now and dont have that. I do have an Assault bike if that does a similar enough eccentricless effort type thing.

Well, if you voluntarily propose to do the assault bike instead of the prowler, who am I to say no :slight_smile:

But yeah, it is a very good option. In fact, for conditioning purpose it is likely much superior to the prowler.

2 Likes

Workout one in the books. The holds and extended duration sets were more killer than I had anticipated (the 2 minute overhead walk was especially making me hate CT haha)

Heres some before pics:

Belly is taping out around 37" which is at the upper limit of where I try to allow it to get, so I’ll probably not be in full bulk mode for this challenge.

2 Likes

People don’t realize how long a TRUE 2 minutes is when you are doing hard work. Brings a new level of respect of UFC fighters with 5 minutes rounds of non-stop work.

2 Likes

Lol for real. I was like “I’ll start real light” with 30 lbs which was brrrruuuutal, I had to front rack them for the last 40 seconds. Doing the 20s after that was still really hard.

1 Like

@Christian_Thibaudeau , I used to consider you a friend…

I regret to inform you that after the leg workout (which resulted in quad cramps for the first time in years) and todays back workout I can no longer make that statement. The dead hang finisher makes it so I can barely type this actually

You cant imagine my surprise when I came to the realization that the 2 minute sets at the end of the back workout were NOT to get as much work done in 2 minutes as you can… but to keep going and going until you accumulate two minutes of work. I woke up my wife with the following refrain at 11pm

Cant wait to see how fun the Manual Labor workout is tomorrow…

Naw but for real this is a good kick in the butt that ive probably needed for a while now, been very punch-the-clock for a while. Really digging the super set format and how much I hate my life at the end of those 2 minute sets haha

2 Likes

LOL!!!

It brutal work for sure. The manual labour session is actually almost active rest compared to the rest. It is honestly a very enjoyable session.

1 Like

That’s actually what I experienced. Very “enjoyable” compared to the other ones, just lots of moderate work.

I really liked it actually. Didn’t curse your name even once!

1 Like

As stated above week one is in the books. The back workout was a little better than press and legs but the hands at the end were haaaaard.

The manual Labor Day was almost a walk in the park comparatively. I enjoyed the pace and the breathing hard though. I expected to get 10 sets cause it seemed so easy on paper but only managed 6.25 (ended up with a minute left on the clock so o did the DB clean and press, as that one seemed to be the most bang for the buck in terms of metcon)

First week was great, really needed to break out of my funk and this did it well

1 Like

Week 2, Push day in the books.

I lowered the overhead weights by 5 pounds and that made it so I could keep my arms extended the whole time, and the second time around was much less miserable than the first, but still sucked quite badly haha. The bear crawling is a special type is misery too

Oh yeah forgot to post earlier but starting weight for this is 190

2 Likes

I like that you lowered the weight to get the whole set with extended arms. Good call.

2 Likes

Yeah there was no doubt I overestimated myself on those last week… I figured the treating in the front rack was the less optimal of the two options so I opted to make it the whole way “the right way”

2 Likes

Good work

Got all 4 workouts done this week, I’d say overall I was more tolerant of the work, even already from week 1. I’ll do a weigh and measure starting next week to see if there’s any changes there

1 Like

Did the press workout for the 3rd time today, tried to split the difference between last weeks 20lb overhead walk weight she week 1s 30lb but even 25lb proved too much to keep overhead the whole time

Also put my rings into place for the dip hold instead of doing it bench-dip style and my god that was so much harder.

Waist is down like .25” and weight was same or even up a little. Not bad for a few weeks.

3 Likes

Ring dips will be like 50% more difficult due to the instability, maybe even a bit more since you’l have to stabilize yourself in a fatigued state. You can still do it, just be aware of how much tougher it will make your session when you do your self-assessment.

1 Like

Oh there’s no doubt it was tougher… I’d say 200% instead of 50% more though!

1 Like

lol, fair enough! Just keep that in mind.

1 Like

Okay, block one is in the books. Pics and measurements on Sunday

The last manual labor day was very good. Not sure if I was just feeling good tonight but week 1 I did 6 sets, then I did 7 sets and tonight I got 10 sets. I rested very, very little (only really to drink Surge and wipe my head)

This is probably my new favorite day. I really enjoy the pace, the “easy but do so much its tough” kind of vibe, and getting in the loaded carries is good as well. This could be something I see incorporating into my training going forward, its very “real life”

3 Likes