Longhead and Elbow

Everytime I do any type of movement that emphasizes the long head of the tricep
My right elbow kinda clicks on the negative . It doesnt really hurt but it bothers . I tried warming up my elbows witha couple sets of push downs and dips but no difference. The exercises that causes this is any overheas extensions and any skull type of skull crushers

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
My right elbow kinda clicks on the negative . It doesnt really hurt but it bothers . I tried warming up my elbows witha couple sets of push downs and dips but no difference. The exercises that causes this is any overheas extensions and any skull type of skull crushers[/quote]

have you tried lots of streching and foam rolling? (I have no idea if this will help)

If you cannot figure out why this is happening you should give it up and just do things that don’t make this happen.

If you really develop you mmc you don’t have to do these movements to hit the long head.
Tricep db kickbacks at high reps are a really good movement to help you get connected with the long head and so is the rope tricep extension with really good form and high reps.

When you get good at focusing on the long head things like hammer strength dips will really help add size to your triceps.

For many people skull crushers can become elbow crushers. Best to dump that exercise if you see any signs of a problem.

For long head PJR’s work great without the usual elbow problems and French press with a dumbbell also is a good exercise which doesn’t seem to aggravate the elbow.

My left elbow does exactly the same thing.

I’ll second PJRs, but I find to make them really elbow friendly you should do them after a few sets of pushdowns for high reps. I do something like

1st set pushdowns - 20 reps, struglling on the last 1 or 2
2 set pushdowns - 15 reps, struggling on the last couple
3rd set pushdowns - 12 reps, struggling on last couple

then I can move on to PJRs which are done in the 8 - 12 rep range. Never less than 8 or the weight’s too heavy and my elbows complain.

If you really want to toast your triceps, after you’ve done the pushdowns and PJRs do a few sets of close grip bench. Toasty!

Hope that helps

Will try pjrs next workout. Just not deadstop because it still bothers . Thanks for input

Similar thing happened to me until I made some changes. I do a very slow warm up for skull crushers now. I start with just the curl bar and go up by 10’s. I bring the bar down behind my head rather than to my forehead and try to push back more than up. Fish oil has helped too.

scott triceps extensions

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
scott triceps extensions[/quote]

just youtubed this, it looks like the single best thing i’ve ever seen for the long head. how is it on the tricep tendons?

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
scott triceps extensions[/quote]

just youtubed this, it looks like the single best thing i’ve ever seen for the long head. how is it on the tricep tendons?[/quote]

Yep its a great move and easy on the tendons. You’ll need to play about with the setup for a couple of workouts, working out how to position your head and where to put your elbows for the most comfort. I also do a light set of pull ups after these as your back can get a bit crunched.

You just need to focus on the stretch and you will get a great pump -don’t need to worry about weight. I mainly do these as my second tricep move 5x 20-25 ramped

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
My right elbow kinda clicks on the negative . It doesnt really hurt but it bothers . I tried warming up my elbows witha couple sets of push downs and dips but no difference. The exercises that causes this is any overheas extensions and any skull type of skull crushers[/quote]

Try dumbell pullovers, seriously…the long head of the triceps helps to extend the shoulder. If you can’t perform overhead extensions (which put a huge stretch on the shoulder extensors, which again the long head is synonymous with) , there’s nothing much else you can do that will target the long head I any more except pullovers. But you ont necessarily have to target it, Yes, the muscle that is most stretched is going to be the one activated the most but that’s not to say its not going to grow from any other tricwp movement.

I found scott extensions were MURDER on my elbows, which surprised me as no one else seems to have any issue

The Scott extensions look really good, I’ve always found Overhead Extensions that are not on a machine really awkward. I’m going to try them, thanks.

What ive found that works. Overhead one arm cable extensions and tricep rope push downs hit the longhead good. Cable kickbacks asc well