T Nation

Longest Yard & Adam Sandler?

RANT:

For those of you who don’t know, the Longest Yard is about a renegade pro football quarterback who ends up in prison for, IIRC, stealing his girlfriend’s Maserati and leading the police on a high-speed chase.

Burt Reynolds starred as the QB in one of the most Alpha Male roles ever.

He is damn cool, confident and cocky (which is Burt reynolds in real life btw). This guy is not only a pro athlete, but is someone who every inmate respects, including the most vicious ones. He bangs the warden’s secretary, stands up to the warden and the prison guards, and …

SPOILER ALERT

leads the inmate’s football team to victory over the guards

END SPOILER

I really enjoyed the original movie, in fact its one of my favorite ‘B’ movies ever. This remake is starring some of the biggest, most muscular guys around, all Alpha Male football players and pro wrestlers, even an MMA fighter. Guys like Goldberg, Stone Cold, Bill Romanowski, Bob Sapp, Kevin Nash, Brian Bosworth etc.

As I stated in the ‘Celebrities You Hate’ thread, there is no one I hate in show biz more than Adam Sandler. He’s goofy, annoying, a total wussy, and his movies aren’t particularly good or funny. I think people like his movies because there really aren’t many sports comedies that have been made. His stand-up comedy is retarded, and so are his stupid little songs.

Does this sound like a role Adam Sandler could do justice to? Hell no!

The fact that he is now starring in the remake of The Longest Yard is so f’ n stupid and makes me want to bitch-slap the casting director and anyone who approved him as the main character.

(I’m going to watch the movie because I like the original so much, but I sure as hell am not going to pay for it. I’ll watch 1 movie and when its over I’ll then sneak into the Longest Yard).

That’s it, I’m done.

I disagree, 100%

First off adam sandler is one funny bastard. Happy gilmore rivals tin cup and caddyshak in terms of golf movies. And he straight up brings the pain in waterboy. The movie will be funnier than the origional and probably better, because thats what the first movie needed to begin with. Shit it’s not a clint eastwood movie, it’s a football movie. The only serious movie about football to be any good ever was The Program. The only other possible funny man out there right now that could have pulled this off was jamie fox, but i’m guessing they wanted to stay with a white guy like in the origional.

V

I have to agree with Vegita, Adam Sandler is really funny. I also like him because he is naturally funny, it isn’t forced. Actually, off screen he seems like a pretty down to earth kind of guy. In his interviews he is rather shy and humble.

I’ll throw my two cents in there with Veg and Tmod…I think Adam Sandler is very funny. I have all his CD’s which are crazy, and laugh until you cry funny. Plus the best part about him is that it doesn’t seem made up at all. It’s just him and his buddies, (all of his movies has a ton of his friends in them, very cool) doing what makes then crack up, which makes us crack up…

Veg, the only good serious football movie was The Program? What about Any Given Sunday with Al Pacino? That movie rocked.

Sandler is funny, but the role wasn’t meant for a funny guy. It was meant for a man.

Friday Night Lights is hands down the best football movie of all time.

I would go with The Program or Remember the Titans before Friday Night Lights: Remember the Titans Again.

Burt Reynolds, much like Clint Eastwood, in his day was a mans man. I don’t dislike Adam Sandler, but as doogie said the role is for a Man!

Another Alpha Male role Burt played was in Deliverance. He was the Avenging Angel for the violation that his friends endured and the example Jon Voight had to rise to to save their asses. Yes, Burt in his prime was a bad ass T-Man.

I’m with Guilo, to tell you the truth I thought friday night lights was pretty bad. Radio was a pretty good football movie too.

The point is its not a role for him. Not because I don’t like him, but because its not a role for him. The fact that i hate him, however, makes me angry and is why I’m ranting about it.

But hey, I’m glad someone likes him. Enjoy the flick, you’ll prob like ot more than me.

Sandler playing a QB is a little off center, but he worked hard to get the QB swagger down pat from what I read off of ESPN.

The movie is getting mixed reviews, though. Roper of Ebert and Roper was on Howard Stern yesterday saying that the movie was a piece of garbage. I’m not sure how to take reviews, though, because most of the reviewers are either pencil necked geeks or have a lot of respect for the 1st movie and hate to see it remade.

I’m going to see it, if only to see guys like Romo and Bosworth play again be it scripted or otherwise.

Say what you will about Romo but that motherfucker was insane.

And when it comes to Sandler’s movies I enjoy them overall, even Little Nicky.

I think a good way to look at movies that leave a mark is how often you hear them being quoted. Sandlers films are quoted more than any other actor in the industry.

Hell I can’t even walk into Hooters anymore without saying “ohmygod, THIS is your 5 year plan???”

GAINER

Perhaps there is a slight “cult” following of sandler movies in which you either love them or hate them. I personally loved all of his movies to date and think he will do very well with this role. In general I don’t think sandler has played an “alpha” role, but more the lone wolf, i don’t care what anyone thinks, type charachter.

Then again, I think with regard to the storyline, this type of character might fit a tad bit better. You do remember in happy gilmore, happy holds the record for most fights and the only player to try to stab another player with his skate right? And in waterboy, he was a mild mannered “idiot” who turned into the king of crunch when somebody made fun of him. Well, hell it will be worth a watch on DVD at the very least.

V

In a related note, you can watch Vinnie Jones, ex-captain of Man. U. in a British remake of the film called “Mean Machine”. It’s football football, not American football. Vinnie’s a real-life hard-ass but is turning out to be a good (if typecast) actor.

You might remember him from such movies as “Snatch”, “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels”, “Gone In Sixty Seconds” and as the (predictable) leader of the soccer hooligans in “Euro Trip”.

[quote]flynniec6 wrote:
In a related note, you can watch Vinnie Jones, ex-captain of Man. U. in a British remake of the film called “Mean Machine”. It’s football football, not American football. [/quote]

http://www.laughingmyassoff.com/linkout/link_soccersucks.htm

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
I’m going to see it, if only to see guys like Romo and Bosworth play again be it scripted or otherwise.
[/quote]

Boz is in this movie? Playing football?

Against my better judgement - I’ll see it for that reason alone. Bo’s not in it is he? I’d love to see him own Boz one more time.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
I’ll throw my two cents in there with Veg and Tmod…I think Adam Sandler is very funny. I have all his CD’s which are crazy, and laugh until you cry funny. [/quote]

I like some of Adam Sandler’s movies too. I think “Happy Gilmore” was hysterical and anytime I need a good laugh I toss that one in the DVD.

Please don’t take offense here but I have to ask since you seem to be a big fan of his… Did you see "Punch Drunk Love?? And if so did you actually think it was good? I thought that movie blew ass big time, LOL. I thought “Little Nicky” stank too.

I will go see the “Longest Yard”, if for no other reason the cast of characters in it and I loved the original.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Sandler is funny, but the role wasn’t meant for a funny guy. It was meant for a man.[/quote]

I agree but the true essence of acting is to become the person you are playing. I say wait to watch it, he could be good in this particular role. Let him try out his acting skills in a different setting. Everyone has to try something different sometimes. Hopefully it is good, I loved the first one.

[quote]j23t wrote:
doogie wrote:
Sandler is funny, but the role wasn’t meant for a funny guy. It was meant for a man.

I agree but the true essence of acting is to become the person you are playing. I say wait to watch it, he could be good in this particular role. Let him try out his acting skills in a different setting. Everyone has to try something different sometimes. Hopefully it is good, I loved the first one.[/quote]

I have to contend that you are exactly right. I don’t see Adam in the role, but surprisingly he could pull it off.

Makes me think back to when Saving Private Ryan came out. I remember thinking Tom Hanks… this movies gonna suck. I couldn’t imagine Hanks in a combat movie prior to that. When I saw the movie Hanks blew me away I totally saw him as the Ranger Captain leading his men in combat, so you never know til ya see it!

I have to contend that you are exactly right. I don’t see Adam in the role, but surprisingly he could pull it off.

Makes me think back to when Saving Private Ryan came out. I remember thinking Tom Hanks… this movies gonna suck. I couldn’t imagine Hanks in a combat movie prior to that. When I saw the movie Hanks blew me away I totally saw him as the Ranger Captain leading his men in combat, so you never know til ya see it![/quote]

Yeah, you would never expect the guy that starred in the movie “BIG” would be in that role.

Sonny:

You are pretty much right on the mark!

Adam Sandler is the king of low brow (translation: scum bag) humor. At his very best his humor reaches the 12 to 14 year old mentality.

I watched the first “Longest Yard.” In fact I saw it three times over the years. Reynolds was masterful in it. I’m not going to bother to watch Adam Sandler Stumble through a role he was not made to play.

I won’t rule out ever going to see a Sandler film ever again. In fact, the next time I’m in the mood for fart humor, Tittie jokes, pissing scenes and other such hilarity I’ll lower myself and find a Sandler movie.