T Nation

Longest Forced Time Off

Just wanted to know what your longest span of being forced to take time off from training was. Injury, illness, et…

I’ll go first. I haven’t been able to do lower body stuff in 2 years, and obviously my training has been shite because of it. Its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but in the spirit of my depressed mood it would be interesting to hear your experiences. Thanks

About 18 months for upper body due to a wrist injury/surgery. After that got fixed, another 6 months off from lower body due to hip injury/surgery.

It is what it is, there were some unhappy moments in there but for the most part I stayed active in any way I could to help keep myself focused on something.

[quote]staystrong wrote:
About 18 months for upper body due to a wrist injury/surgery. After that got fixed, another 6 months off from lower body due to hip injury/surgery.

It is what it is, there were some unhappy moments in there but for the most part I stayed active in any way I could to help keep myself focused on something.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. I’m trying to maintain a positive outlook myself. Personally I have taken the time to read more about lifting and physiology related stuff. its been helpful, but seems like a constant reminder of not being able to lift. I’m sure a few years from now I’ll look back and be like “yeah that wasn’t the end of the world”, but when in the middle of it things can be tough.

I had to take 6 months off when I was 16 due to a torn labrum.

These days, I never take days off, regardless of injury. I make sure to train whatever I can train, and train around every injury I can.

You see stuff like this and you can’t help but think maybe you don’t have it so bad, haha.

I’d like to see that guy flex when the cast comes off. I think that guy is insane 169 a few days after surgery??

Nothing major, most injuries I could train around but the worst was lower back injuries, there were virtually no exercise I could do pain free other than probably light band pull aparts while lying down haha. And now I got a partial bicep tear I think, from a tire flip event, and I can’t do most upper body moves so I’m thinking of doing Smolovs. Was looking forward to doing infinite shore’s mat pulls lol.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I had to take 6 months off when I was 16 due to a torn labrum.

These days, I never take days off, regardless of injury. I make sure to train whatever I can train, and train around every injury I can.

You see stuff like this and you can’t help but think maybe you don’t have it so bad, haha.

I have tremendous respect for your training style. Most guys get stubborn and try to push through injuries, while others just sit on the sideline. Your ability to properly train around injuries is something many should improve for themselves

[quote]Mizery wrote:
Nothing major, most injuries I could train around but the worst was lower back injuries, there were virtually no exercise I could do pain free other than probably light band pull aparts while lying down haha. And now I got a partial bicep tear I think, from a tire flip event, and I can’t do most upper body moves so I’m thinking of doing Smolovs. Was looking forward to doing infinite shore’s mat pulls lol.
[/quote]

I might get slaughtered on here for this but I’ve never done tire flips and honestly don’t think I ever will. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard of people tearing a bicep with these. Not calling them a bad exercise, but just by word of mouth I’ve heard lots of bicep injuries related to them. Sorry to hear about that though, hope the recovery is quick

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:

[quote]Mizery wrote:
Nothing major, most injuries I could train around but the worst was lower back injuries, there were virtually no exercise I could do pain free other than probably light band pull aparts while lying down haha. And now I got a partial bicep tear I think, from a tire flip event, and I can’t do most upper body moves so I’m thinking of doing Smolovs. Was looking forward to doing infinite shore’s mat pulls lol.
[/quote]

I might get slaughtered on here for this but I’ve never done tire flips and honestly don’t think I ever will. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard of people tearing a bicep with these. Not calling them a bad exercise, but just by word of mouth I’ve heard lots of bicep injuries related to them. Sorry to hear about that though, hope the recovery is quick[/quote]

Thanks man, I tore it during the first rep of the first event, talk about anti climax! I do think it’s quite a bad “exercise” (very high risk to benefit ratio) and there’s no real reason to do them unless you paticipate in some sort of strong man competition.

[quote]Mizery wrote:

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:

[quote]Mizery wrote:
Nothing major, most injuries I could train around but the worst was lower back injuries, there were virtually no exercise I could do pain free other than probably light band pull aparts while lying down haha. And now I got a partial bicep tear I think, from a tire flip event, and I can’t do most upper body moves so I’m thinking of doing Smolovs. Was looking forward to doing infinite shore’s mat pulls lol.
[/quote]

I might get slaughtered on here for this but I’ve never done tire flips and honestly don’t think I ever will. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard of people tearing a bicep with these. Not calling them a bad exercise, but just by word of mouth I’ve heard lots of bicep injuries related to them. Sorry to hear about that though, hope the recovery is quick[/quote]

Thanks man, I tore it during the first rep of the first event, talk about anti climax! I do think it’s quite a bad “exercise” (very high risk to benefit ratio) and there’s no real reason to do them unless you paticipate in some sort of strong man competition.[/quote]

That is quite the anti climax. You’re right though. I mean if its for the event you’re doing or are going to do the answer is quite obvious, you gotta do it. I just always shake my head when you see groups of guys doing tire flips outside a gym. I mean yeah it looks cool and it probably is pretty fun, but theres gotta be something else they could be doing that is much less of an injury risk.

around 7 mths for a torn retina. over 320 hrs sick leave before I could come back to work.
just got cleared to lift a while back and it took weeks to get an idea how heavy I can go. limit is 400lbs for the rest of my life but gonna push it to 405. live dangerously.
it’s gonna be a lot of reps and some changes in my training.

[quote]silverblood wrote:
around 7 mths for a torn retina. over 320 hrs sick leave before I could come back to work.
just got cleared to lift a while back and it took weeks to get an idea how heavy I can go. limit is 400lbs for the rest of my life but gonna push it to 405. live dangerously.
it’s gonna be a lot of reps and some changes in my training.[/quote]

Wow man really sorry to hear that. Retina as in your eye? If so how did that happen if you don’t mind me asking. Also is the reason for not going over 400 a pressure thing, like how powerlifters get bloody eyes.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Just wanted to know what your longest span of being forced to take time off from training was. Injury, illness, et…

I’ll go first. I haven’t been able to do lower body stuff in 2 years, and obviously my training has been shite because of it. Its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but in the spirit of my depressed mood it would be interesting to hear your experiences. Thanks [/quote]
Honestly, I would probably quit working out completely if someone approached me now and told me that I couldn’t train legs for the next 3 months. Anything less than that would be ok I guess. I just don’t wanna be “that guy” you know, the one with decent upper mass and tiny chicken legs. I would much rather be small everywhere than just a built upper body. I have pretty small legs as it is and I work them more than any other body part. Some can get away with this because they naturally have decent legs to begin with… Not here!

[quote]AzCats wrote:

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Just wanted to know what your longest span of being forced to take time off from training was. Injury, illness, et…

I’ll go first. I haven’t been able to do lower body stuff in 2 years, and obviously my training has been shite because of it. Its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but in the spirit of my depressed mood it would be interesting to hear your experiences. Thanks [/quote]
Honestly, I would probably quit working out completely if someone approached me now and told me that I couldn’t train legs for the next 3 months. Anything less than that would be ok I guess. I just don’t wanna be “that guy” you know, the one with decent upper mass and tiny chicken legs. I would much rather be small everywhere than just a built upper body. I have pretty small legs as it is and I work them more than any other body part. Some can get away with this because they naturally have decent legs to begin with… Not here![/quote]

I hear what you’re saying. I’m not so physique based anymore (for obvious reasons) so it doesn’t bother me too much being somewhat big in the upper body but small legs. In all honesty my legs have just kinda grown with the rest of my body, sounds weird but kinda true. Except for my calves, I have always had tiny calves. Haha and yeah every time I step into a gym I am at risk of looking like “that guy”.

I haven’t been able to even touch a weight in 2 months to heal from a surgery. Just healed 2 weeks ago only to have it open back up so I’m going to the surgeon again tomorrow. Long story short its been 2 years of no legs, 2 months of nothing, and depending on what happens tomorrow more indefinite time off. So I’ll literally take whatever I can get at this point.

Long term stuff like this changes your perspective on training, which I’m sure many can attest to. I mean, I would kill just to be able to squat again, even with just the empty bar.

[quote]AzCats wrote:
Honestly, I would probably quit working out completely if someone approached me now and told me that I couldn’t train legs for the next 3 months. Anything less than that would be ok I guess. I just don’t wanna be “that guy” you know, the one with decent upper mass and tiny chicken legs. I would much rather be small everywhere than just a built upper body. I have pretty small legs as it is and I work them more than any other body part. Some can get away with this because they naturally have decent legs to begin with… Not here![/quote]

Do you honestly feel that in 3 months time you would somehow substantially increase your upper body mass to the point of having this issue?

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:

[quote]silverblood wrote:
around 7 mths for a torn retina. over 320 hrs sick leave before I could come back to work.
just got cleared to lift a while back and it took weeks to get an idea how heavy I can go. limit is 400lbs for the rest of my life but gonna push it to 405. live dangerously.
it’s gonna be a lot of reps and some changes in my training.[/quote]

Wow man really sorry to hear that. Retina as in your eye? If so how did that happen if you don’t mind me asking. Also is the reason for not going over 400 a pressure thing, like how powerlifters get bloody eyes. [/quote]

happened last Aug. horseshoe tear in the rt eye. not sure how it happened. started seeing floaters then it looked like someone was pulling a blanket over my eye. things still look tilted and bent as if I’m looking through wrinkled plastic wrap. it may get better or not. it’s not as good as beer goggles with ugly women.
2% of nearsighted people get a tear & % probably goes up as I’m an old fart. I have a 25% chance of a tear in the left eye. Ive got a thinning in the left also but the doc wasn’t worried.
yeah it’s a pressure thing. also no handstands, decline bench, or hanging upside down on the monkey bars. don’t know if any of them would actually cause an issue but not taking a chance.
it was really surprising how depressed I felt at first but I’ll make do at 405. that’s why I read almost all the forums to get ideas on things to try.
edit: I don’t try to hold sneezes in anymore

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:

[quote]silverblood wrote:
around 7 mths for a torn retina. over 320 hrs sick leave before I could come back to work.
just got cleared to lift a while back and it took weeks to get an idea how heavy I can go. limit is 400lbs for the rest of my life but gonna push it to 405. live dangerously.
it’s gonna be a lot of reps and some changes in my training.[/quote]

Wow man really sorry to hear that. Retina as in your eye? If so how did that happen if you don’t mind me asking. Also is the reason for not going over 400 a pressure thing, like how powerlifters get bloody eyes. [/quote]

happened last Aug. horseshoe tear in the rt eye. not sure how it happened. started seeing floaters then it looked like someone was pulling a blanket over my eye. things still look tilted and bent as if I’m looking through wrinkled plastic wrap. it may get better or not. it’s not as good as beer goggles with ugly women.
2% of nearsighted people get a tear & % probably goes up as I’m an old fart. I have a 25% chance of a tear in the left eye. Ive got a thinning in the left also but the doc wasn’t worried.
yeah it’s a pressure thing. also no handstands, decline bench, or hanging upside down on the monkey bars. don’t know if any of them would actually cause an issue but not taking a chance.
it was really surprising how depressed I felt at first but I’ll make do at 405. that’s why I read almost all the forums to get ideas on things to try.
edit: I don’t try to hold sneezes in anymore[/quote]

Never heard about that before. really sorry to hear this, from what I gather on these forums you’re a hell of a strong guy and you def know your shit. Someone like you could def make 405 pounds go a long way. Idk if you’re limited to specific movements, but you def have some options. For example…
-rep out your main lifts with 405 (kinda the obvious one)
-start oly lifting, you could focus on technique, and 405 is a pretty decent cap for a clean and jerk
-swap back squats with front squats… a 405 front squat is damn impressive
-Unilateral lower body stuff
-complexes

Also if you haven’t already check out the book never let go by dan John. He has a lot of workouts in there as well as a great lifting/life philosophy. One specific workout I remember is called the Litinov workout. Its basically a circuit of front squats with 405 and sprints… Absolutely brutal and a hell of a challenge if you have the strength. Obviously you’re a bit more advanced than I am so I’m not trying to talk down to you by giving advice. Just trying to help out a bit

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]AzCats wrote:
Honestly, I would probably quit working out completely if someone approached me now and told me that I couldn’t train legs for the next 3 months. Anything less than that would be ok I guess. I just don’t wanna be “that guy” you know, the one with decent upper mass and tiny chicken legs. I would much rather be small everywhere than just a built upper body. I have pretty small legs as it is and I work them more than any other body part. Some can get away with this because they naturally have decent legs to begin with… Not here![/quote]

Do you honestly feel that in 3 months time you would somehow substantially increase your upper body mass to the point of having this issue?[/quote]

Apparently you’ve never seen me bench press… besides nothing a pair of baggy pants can’t fix…

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]AzCats wrote:
Honestly, I would probably quit working out completely if someone approached me now and told me that I couldn’t train legs for the next 3 months. Anything less than that would be ok I guess. I just don’t wanna be “that guy” you know, the one with decent upper mass and tiny chicken legs. I would much rather be small everywhere than just a built upper body. I have pretty small legs as it is and I work them more than any other body part. Some can get away with this because they naturally have decent legs to begin with… Not here![/quote]

Do you honestly feel that in 3 months time you would somehow substantially increase your upper body mass to the point of having this issue?[/quote]
absolutely not! I’m talking about not training my legs for 3 months or longer. They would end up looking like sticks if I didn’t train them for that period of time. My upper body probably wouldn’t change much at all in 3 months of training. Rather not have the physical attributes of SpongeBob square pants. Maybe when I was 25 I could go a couple months without training and not see much of a difference, but at 46 yrs of age things seem to atrophy a bit quicker than you youngsters.

[quote]AzCats wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]AzCats wrote:
Honestly, I would probably quit working out completely if someone approached me now and told me that I couldn’t train legs for the next 3 months. Anything less than that would be ok I guess. I just don’t wanna be “that guy” you know, the one with decent upper mass and tiny chicken legs. I would much rather be small everywhere than just a built upper body. I have pretty small legs as it is and I work them more than any other body part. Some can get away with this because they naturally have decent legs to begin with… Not here![/quote]

Do you honestly feel that in 3 months time you would somehow substantially increase your upper body mass to the point of having this issue?[/quote]
absolutely not! I’m talking about not training my legs for 3 months or longer. They would end up looking like sticks if I didn’t train them for that period of time. My upper body probably wouldn’t change much at all in 3 months of training. Rather not have the physical attributes of SpongeBob square pants.[/quote]

Not to sidetrack this thread… But my training has been shit for the past 2 years, and before that I only trained for like 6 months in a healthy state. Regardless, even after these 2 month completely off I haven’t lost THAT much. I mean yeah my physique is pretty terrible, but I’ve continued to eat a maintenance diet and its worked out somewhat well. Im comparing this to my former 140lb self btw. Just stating that its interesting that I’m able to maintain a decent looking (for an average guy) built at 200lbs. Maybe its just that I’m not starving to death anymore