Longer Training Split

CT

Would you consider using a longer training split if the front squat, deadlift and overhead press were to be incorporated using the layer system? For example
Day 1: Front Squat, Day 2: Bench, Day 3: High Pull, Day 4: Back, Day 5: Overhead, Day 6: Deadlift, Day 7: High Pull, Day 8: Arms

[quote]Snapper6 wrote:
CT

Would you consider using a longer training split if the front squat, deadlift and overhead press were to be incorporated using the layer system? For example
Day 1: Front Squat, Day 2: Bench, Day 3: High Pull, Day 4: Back, Day 5: Overhead, Day 6: Deadlift, Day 7: High Pull, Day 8: Arms
[/quote]

I don’t like it… two many focus lifts and too much negative carryover. That is the number one mistake people make: focusing on too many different lifts. Not all lifts are of equal importance. That doesn’t mean that you cannot do more lifts than what you focus on, just that not all lifts deserve their own day.

A good example is olympic lifters (especially Chinese and Russian systems)… they only have two focus lifts (snatch, clean & jerk) some would argue 3 (back or front squat). But they do more lifts than this. For example in the Russian system front/back squats, RDL, push press, behnind the neck jerk, snatch pulls, clean pulls, etc. are used. But they are not main lifts.

I personally do not like doing squats as a layer exercise but rather do them as an assistance exercise after high pulls. Deadlift (or the Dead-Squat) lends itself better to the layers, BUT I still prefer to do it as an assistance exercise after a second high pull session because true layers on the deadlift are devastative on the nervous system.

Something like this would look better to me:

DAY 1. High pull (layers) + Front squat (3-5 sets of 4-6 reps)
DAY 2. Bench press (layers) + Dips (3-5 sets of 4-6 reps)
DAY 3. High pull (layers) + Deadlift (3-5 sets of 2-4 reps)
DAY 4. Overhead (layers) + Overhead supports (3-5 sets of 6-9 seconds)
DAY 5. Back
DAY 7. Biceps and abs

CT does this mean you have taken the Dead-Squat Launch out of the Roataion for Layers and simply replaced it as an assistance exercise following High Pulls? Or replaced it all together with regular leg work as assistance exercises following Pull sessions?

[quote]JoeAnderson wrote:
CT does this mean you have taken the Dead-Squat Launch out of the Roataion for Layers and simply replaced it as an assistance exercise following High Pulls? Or replaced it all together with regular leg work as assistance exercises following Pull sessions?[/quote]

No it means that I used the exercises Snapper6 wanted to use in his original question.

CT: This is my current split: Squat, dec tilt, pull, inc tilt, pull, ohp (from pins). There is a caveat, though: I lift 5 consecutive days, with two consecutive days off… Is this acceptable, or should I pare it down to a 5 day split?

Thanks.

Hey CT,

Regarding the squat and deadlifts as assistance work after high pulls, what kind of intensity or percentage would you use for these lifts? Cheers

[quote]defenderofTruth wrote:
CT: This is my current split: Squat, dec tilt, pull, inc tilt, pull, ohp (from pins). There is a caveat, though: I lift 5 consecutive days, with two consecutive days off… Is this acceptable, or should I pare it down to a 5 day split?

Thanks.[/quote]

I’ll be honest I really do not like two consecutive days off. It’s not the 5 days on in a row that is problematic, it’s the two days off in a row. After two days off the nervous system is slughish, and even though you are recovered and fresh, you cannot perform well because of the nervous system.

Furthermore a CNS with a lower activation + top shape muscles and tons of energy can be a recipe for injuries when using high power or high skill exercises.

[quote]shanetrain49 wrote:
Hey CT,

Regarding the squat and deadlifts as assistance work after high pulls, what kind of intensity or percentage would you use for these lifts? Cheers[/quote]

Sets of 4-6 for squats, but not maximal, leaving 2 reps in the tank or so… so about 80%. For the deadlift I like either 2-4 reps with 70-75% or 1-2 reps with 80-85%

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]defenderofTruth wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

I’ll be honest I really do not like two consecutive days off. It’s not the 5 days on in a row that is problematic, it’s the two days off in a row. After two days off the nervous system is slughish, and even though you are recovered and fresh, you cannot perform well because of the nervous system.

Furthermore a CNS with a lower activation + top shape muscles and tons of energy can be a recipe for injuries when using high power or high skill exercises.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I thought that was the case, but I don’t really have the ability to train consistently on the weekends. I have noticed that I’m a bit rusty on Mondays.