Long Time Lifter Stuck

I don’t move the weight up 5-10lbs until I can do 5x5, so typically at 270 I fail to get the last rep or two of the last set.

[quote]Onegative wrote:
I don’t move the weight up 5-10lbs until I can do 5x5, so typically at 270 I fail to get the last rep or two of the last set. [/quote]
So you are saying you try 270, fail a rep or two, go back to 265, then go back to 270, fail, go back , etc.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Onegative wrote:
I don’t move the weight up 5-10lbs until I can do 5x5, so typically at 270 I fail to get the last rep or two of the last set. [/quote]
So you are saying you try 270, fail a rep or two, go back to 265, then go back to 270, fail, go back , etc. [/quote]

pretty much.

[quote]Onegative wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Onegative wrote:
So you are saying you try 270, fail a rep or two, go back to 265, then go back to 270, fail, go back , etc. [/quote]

pretty much. [/quote]
So either you can be dogmatic about wanting to stick with training “chest” in a 5x5 fashion like you have been once per week and stay where you are, OR you can try something different and break your bench plateau. I am not saying you need to follow my plan (borrowed and modified from Dr Zourdos) but what you are doing isn’t working.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Onegative wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Onegative wrote:

pretty much. [/quote]
So either you can be dogmatic about wanting to stick with training “chest” in a 5x5 fashion like you have been once per week and stay where you are, OR you can try something different and break your bench plateau. I am not saying you need to follow my plan (borrowed and modified from Dr Zourdos) but what you are doing isn’t working. [/quote]

This.

I also think that 5/3/1 is perfect for someone without a spotter because you are leaving a few reps in the tank.

Having said all that, I would probably go with the advice of the guy who currently benches more than you, not the guy who remembers it as a distant memory.