Long-Term Daycare Problems

My son’s mother had custody of him during the pre-school years. She worked as a bartender at night and would leave the kid with her mother when she went to work in the evenings.

She fought putting him in daycare, even when I took custody and placed him in daycare at the age of 4-5. She would go get him from daycare and keep him with her. I only had full custody for about 6-8 months and in the little time he spent in daycare, he learned a great deal and was beginning to catch the other kids.

When he started Kindergarten at the age of 5, he was way behind the other kids. He didnt know his ABC’s to give you an idea of how far behind he was. He failed Kindergarten that year.

Neither of our kids have ever seen the inside of a daycare facility. Not because we could afford to have a stay at home mom - but because I worked 2-3 jobs, and both my wife and I sold plasma to buy food.

Both children could walk before they were 1, were completely toilet trained by 18 months, and knew how to read, write, and do basic math by the time they were 4.

They are now in 7th and 9th grades, and neither have made a “B” in the entirety of their scholastic careers. Both children read, and speak at a college level.

I could give a flying shit about what any study says. I know that my children are extremely well adjusted, intelligent, and as confident in their abilities as any child I have ever seen.

I would never pay money to send my child to a part time prison.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
My son’s mother had custody of him during the pre-school years. She worked as a bartender at night and would leave the kid with her mother when she went to work in the evenings.

She fought putting him in daycare, even when I took custody and placed him in daycare at the age of 4-5. She would go get him from daycare and keep him with her. I only had full custody for about 6-8 months and in the little time he spent in daycare, he learned a great deal and was beginning to catch the other kids.

When he started Kindergarten at the age of 5, he was way behind the other kids. He didnt know his ABC’s to give you an idea of how far behind he was. He failed Kindergarten that year.

[/quote]

Not exactly sure what your point is, but that sounds like a parenting issue, not a daycare issue. If you think daycare is going to make your kids smarter, go ahead and give it a try. Why didn’t YOU teach your kids his ABC’s? That’s your job. Parents HAVE TO BE INVOLVED.