T Nation

Long Strength Training Program for MMA?

Hey bros..

I got a question about my training, but first take a look at my program. I got 6 exercises in my program: 2 pull exercises for upperbody, 2 push exercises for upperbody and 2 exercises for lowerbody.

Example:

Front squat
Incline Dumbbell bench press
Yates rows
Romanian deadlift
Dumbbell shoulder press
Dumbbell rows

This could very well be my hypertrofi block that i will preform 3 times a week for a month and then switch over to an strength block follewed by a power block. But then the problems arives... This is just the "core" of my workout. I will in the end do different exercises such as: full contact twist, crusufix holds, 8-figure walk, COC. Also an routine for rotator cuff and the abs (DONT GOT A NAME FOR THESE KIND OF EXERCISES!!?).

The problem is that this program can turn out to take realy long? Maybe i should split the program up in to pieces? Do the last part after my endurance training wich doesn't take that long.. Maybe not? Thats why im posting here! Please help me out here! :slightly_smiling:

Not entirely related, but the more and more I think about it, Berardi's G-Flux principles are perfect for fighters. It's great because you can train multiple athletic qualities, as well as hypertrophy if you need to pack on a bit of extra mass. All you need to ensure is you're getting plenty of calories

So lets say my training will take 2 hours included everything. Would it be a good idea to eat a few babanas and maybe drink some juice while im training?

Because i train a lot. My weekly program will look like this:

Monday Strength training and MMA
Tuesday: BJJ and work on heavybag and endurance training
Wednesday: Strength training and MMA
Thursday: Work on heavybag and endurance training
Friday: Strength Training
Saturday: Work on heavybag and endurance training
Sunday: Off

And i spend 30min. each day on mobility training.

Personally I'm not a big fan of eating while training, I think it was Dorian Yates who mentioned something about taking in food directly before or during training screwing with ideal conditions.

In any case, I prefer not eating during, body just feels alot better and I feel I less "burdened" if you will. This holds especially true during high intensity type work like boxing/MMA. PWO shake mixed with bananas and plenty of ice ftw.

Now, I'm by no means an expert, but it's seem you have alot of sessions that are really CNS stressful. I'd suggest replacing one or two sessions with lighter activites, maybe just really light cardio and stretching or slow technique work. And when you have sunday off, really make sunday OFF.

I thought about to remove my endurance training. I mean.. I'll get plenty of endurance training through my martial training and home training on heavybag.. Normally i start rope jumping for 10 min, then i work on heavybag for an hour or so and finish it off with another 10 min of rope jumping..

Exactly, you've already got alot of sessions that are CNS stressful, the extra endurance sessions just seem really overkill. I reckon just replace with flexibility training or really low intensity cardio.

Okay.. Right now i spend about 30min. each day on flexibility training wich is realy relaxing for my body and mind.

I should develop pretty good strength and power from my weight training, great endurance from my martial art workouts and home workouts (heavybag rope jumping...) and last a great flexibility from my flexibility routine..

Anything else you guys can share with me, something that i should be aware of? I would love to learn new and great stuff to put into my training routine :slightly_smiling:

Okay.. Right now i spend about 30min. each day on flexibility training wich is realy relaxing for my body and mind.

I should develop pretty good strength and power from my weight training, great endurance from my martial art workouts and home workouts (heavybag rope jumping...) and last a great flexibility from my flexibility routine..

Anything else you guys can share with me, something that i should be aware of? I would love to learn new and great stuff to put into my training routine :slight_smile:

If your training for 2hours you don't want to be eating bananas during,bananas are relatively slow releasing energy. Get some dextrose powder and have a teaspoon before,half way through and at the end with water. The dextrose is pure fast releasing carbs that will cause an insulin spike directing the energy straight to the muscles...and does'nt leave you feeling full. Try it dextrose isn't expensive and just tastes sweet when disolved in water.

Hope that helps.