T Nation

Long Lasting Foam Rollers

I bought the regular foam roller less than a year ago. It sags in so much now that it doesn’t even roll completly around. Needless to say I’m not getting the full benefit from it. I’ve seen other ones that are supposed to last longer, has anybody tried them? What do you think? I saw one covered in 5"pvc but it’s $38, don’t know if I want to spend that much.

I have a 36 x 6 inch foam roller that I have had for over a year. It is a heavy duty model. Still in good shape. I wouldn’t part with this thing. $20.

http://optp.com/index.cfm/pageid/243

[quote]Slyfan wrote:
I saw one covered in 5"pvc but it’s $38, don’t know if I want to spend that much. [/quote]

Are you talking about the one from Perform Better? I have it and its amazing. Its alot harder then other cheap foam rollers which don’t get into the muscle nearly as good as this one. Yeah $38 is a little pricey, but you said you wanted something that would last, and this is definitely it. I’m pretty sure that its advertised as durable enough for heavy usage in a commercial gym. Great buy IMO, spend the extra $20 for it.

I have one from elite fitness, its OPTP as well. Keep a lookout for their free shipping specials…it was a good buy!

I made a foam roller by taking a length of pvc pipe and putting foam insulation around it - works like a charm and has lasted for over a year so far.

As the side note: the greater the diameter of the pipe used, the gentler the sensation will be on the body. (Pressure = Force/Area)

Great tip. Many thanks!

[quote]squatdude wrote:
I have a 36 x 6 inch foam roller that I have had for over a year. It is a heavy duty model. Still in good shape. I wouldn’t part with this thing. $20.

http://optp.com/index.cfm/pageid/243[/quote]

[quote]Vyapada wrote:
I made a foam roller by taking a length of pvc pipe and putting foam insulation around it - works like a charm and has lasted for over a year so far.

As the side note: the greater the diameter of the pipe used, the gentler the sensation will be on the body. (Pressure = Force/Area)[/quote]

BRILLIANT!!!

Sounds cheap and effective. Ill do this when I destroy my optp this year!!

What size PVC did you use to make your roller. What size is the foam insulation. I went to the Home Depot today to make several for my team, and could not find any insulation for pipes over 1".

great tip, for back i use 2 tennis balls taped together like a nutsack.

I’m actually considering taping 2 baseballs together now

I bought one of those two years ago for around 30$ and fedex busted me a 50$ “broker” fee. They broke me alright…

I just use PVC by itself. 5 bucks, lasts forever, more effective.

I also just use PVC pipe with no foam. It works great, and it was less than $5.