Long Head of the Triceps

From my understanding, the lateral and medial heads are the heads primarily involved with pressing movements, such as triceps dips, close-grip bench press, etc.

I hear from a lot of people that to optimally train the long head of the triceps, you have to do overhead movements like skullcrushers, for example. Apparently, the long head is also the largest head of all the 3.

What is the logic behind doing overhead movements? Are they really necessary? What about other extension exercises? What exercise, in your opinion, is the best to hit the long head?

PJR pullovers, google them and enjoy.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
PJR pullovers, google them and enjoy.[/quote]
Wouldn’t that exercise target lats moreso than triceps?

no. Did you google them? You’ll see what I mean when you do

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
no. Did you google them? You’ll see what I mean when you do[/quote]
Hmm, Googled around a bit. I’m just going to try them and see how I feel about them. Are there any other overhead exercises you’d recommend that doesn’t f*** up your shoulders/elbows?

[quote]labean wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Hmm, Googled around a bit. I’m just going to try them and see how I feel about them. Are there any other overhead exercises you’d recommend that doesn’t f*** up your shoulders/elbows?[/quote]
Dead stop tricep extensios off floor/bench with varying sized plates. (They are all done starting behind the head) They’re my favorite isolation for triceps that don’t screw with my elbows.

[quote]labean wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Hmm, Googled around a bit. I’m just going to try them and see how I feel about them. Are there any other overhead exercises you’d recommend that doesn’t f*** up your shoulders/elbows?[/quote]

you’ll like them, I know it looks kinda weird and just like you’re doing skullcrushers wrong but it’s one of the best triceps moves there is. Quite elbow friendly too.

As for elbows, mine are pretty temperamental too, however if I do a few sets of pushdowns first they feel fine. Something like

light weight - 20 reps (feeling lactic acid burn on the last couple)
bit heavier - 15 reps (struggling a bit with the last couple)
heaviest - 12 reps (last couple are hard as hell)

and then I can do things like PJRs or whatever pain free.

The best growth I’ve had triceps-wise came from lots of db tricep extensions, as said this messed up my elbows but I had worked up to silly weights. Now I do them with lighter weight/better form nearer the end of a session and so far so good.

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
The best growth I’ve had triceps-wise came from lots of db tricep extensions, as said this messed up my elbows but I had worked up to silly weights. Now I do them with lighter weight/better form nearer the end of a session and so far so good.[/quote]

I like to use both hands for these with a heavier dumbbell. Seems to avoid any elbow issues which I get using the single hand variation.

If any of you have access to a tricep bar they’re excellent for overhead extensions though you can get some elbow pain if you don’t warm up.

The long head of the triceps originates on the scapula and crosses the shoulder as well as the elbow joint. Putting the arm in a shoulder flexed position (overhead) puts the muscle on stretch. When the muscle is stretched, it becomes passively insufficient; therefore, creating more demand and requiring more work for the movement.

[quote]Lolkema wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
The best growth I’ve had triceps-wise came from lots of db tricep extensions, as said this messed up my elbows but I had worked up to silly weights. Now I do them with lighter weight/better form nearer the end of a session and so far so good.[/quote]

I like to use both hands for these with a heavier dumbbell. Seems to avoid any elbow issues which I get using the single hand variation.

If any of you have access to a tricep bar they’re excellent for overhead extensions though you can get some elbow pain if you don’t warm up.[/quote]

After a certain amount of weight tho it just feels silly/unsafe hoisting a 100lb DB inches from your skull. Though I can only do 85lb DB right now Im sure when I hit near 100lb ill just switch to 1 arm.

Has anyone enjoyed significant results from plain overhead extensions? On paper it sounds great, but it saddens me with nonexistent results. The PRJ pullovers are great, however (not the name I learned it by, though). There’s also an adaptation for pulleys to ease the elbow stress.

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Lolkema wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

If any of you have access to a tricep bar they’re excellent for overhead extensions though you can get some elbow pain if you don’t warm up.[/quote]

After a certain amount of weight tho it just feels silly/unsafe hoisting a 100lb DB inches from your skull. Though I can only do 85lb DB right now Im sure when I hit near 100lb ill just switch to 1 arm.[/quote]

I suppose that’s always a risk! I’ve never felt unsafe doing them though and I never use a weight I can’t control.

How about feet-elevated close-grip pushups ?
Do they hit the long head ?

[quote]tolismann wrote:
Do they hit the long head ?[/quote]

every pushing movement hits the long head. christ sake people its the triceps every head is designed to work together.

also “pjr pullovers” are probably the most ridiculous exercise name ever. its the same movement as a lying triceps extension w/ a barbell except w/ a dumbbell.

dont overcomplicate it its not rocket science its the triceps.

scott extensions are awesome and much easier on the elbows than skullcrushers and the like

French press is about the best exercise I’ve found for long head of triceps. I use a dumbbell as I have elbow issues from years of punishment but doing this with a dumbbell doesn’t bother it at all.
I also like PJR Pullovers. The trick here is to not bring the dumbbell too high up or you will shift tension off the triceps.

The long head gets better stimulated on overhead extensions, because it is in that position where that portion its better stretched.
However the long head get a lot indirect work from all kind of exercises, even pull ups to give you an example.

DIP
CGBPRESS
ROPE PUSHDOWN
OVERHEAD EXTENSION
SKULLCRUSHERS
KICKBACKS

I alternate between those exercises.

[quote]Kooopa wrote:

[quote]tolismann wrote:
Do they hit the long head ?[/quote]

every pushing movement hits the long head. christ sake people its the triceps every head is designed to work together.

also “pjr pullovers” are probably the most ridiculous exercise name ever. its the same movement as a lying triceps extension w/ a barbell except w/ a dumbbell.

dont overcomplicate it its not rocket science its the triceps.[/quote]

you have much to learn my friend

[quote]Matias A. wrote:
The long head gets better stimulated on overhead extensions, because it is in that position where that portion its better stretched.
However the long head get a lot indirect work from all kind of exercises, even pull ups to give you an example.

DIP
CGBPRESS
ROPE PUSHDOWN
OVERHEAD EXTENSION
SKULLCRUSHERS
KICKBACKS

I alternate between those exercises.[/quote]

you mentioned pullups, even though the long head is used as sort of a stabilizer or when beginning to engage in a pullup movement it’s not getting much stimulation definitely not enough for growth. This is as relevant as saying pull ups hit the chest.