T Nation

Long Fingers, Awkward Grip

I have pretty big hands, but my fingers are especially long. This interferes with whenever I try to grab the bar (more so on a standard bar than an olympic bar). Since my fingers are so long, instead of comfortably gripping the bar in my palms, it slips to my fingers.

So for instance on seated cable rows with the triangle bar, I have a difficult time keeping the handle in my palm. It always slips to the middle/front of my fingers.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of duct taping the handle until it was thick enough.

Also does this type of hand help or hurt with deadlifts.

i find it easier to do pulling exercises when the bar is pushing against my fingers instead of my palm, much less formation of callouses too

Big hands give you better grip leverage.

[quote]Seinix wrote:
I have pretty big hands, but my fingers are especially long. This interferes with whenever I try to grab the bar (more so on a standard bar than an olympic bar). Since my fingers are so long, instead of comfortably gripping the bar in my palms, it slips to my fingers.

So for instance on seated cable rows with the triangle bar, I have a difficult time keeping the handle in my palm. It always slips to the middle/front of my fingers.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of duct taping the handle until it was thick enough.

Also does this type of hand help or hurt with deadlifts.[/quote]

I have quite small hands and the bar also slips to my fingers… why? Because my grip is weak.

If long fingers really are your problem try a fat bar if available. Other than that I’ve found high rep dumbbell rows and static holds at near 1rm weights to be the best exercises for grip improvement.

Edit: Re-read your post and yeah I’m pretty certain that your grip strength is the problem… Unless you are rowing some really heavy weights (and the stacks at cable machines usually run out way before you get there) grip shouldn’t be an issue.

How long fingers are we exactly talking about here anyway?

I’ve heard these guys can help you.

Hmm… sounds like you could do well using a hook grip. I have never used it because I don’t need to, but it is supposed to be awesome after you get used to it.

http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/#/hookgrip/4511451994