long distance relationships

i’d just chalk it up as a fun week and move on. i used to ‘date’ this girl i met as she was visiting one of my friends last year at college and we hit it off, the only problem(s): she went to school 3 hrs away, and even when we were both home we were still 2.5 hrs away.

i can honestly say this was the closest thing to love i’ve ever felt, she was a great person, everything i ever wanted in a girl/woman, but i still cheated on her. really couldn’t help it, and when i was restricted to visits (and sex) every 2 weeks i knew it was only a matter of time.

so i don’t do long distance bullshit because i don’t trust myself and have a hard time trusting anyone in that situation

Wow…all you cynical people!
Look at it this way…if it’s meant to be…it will be.
The only thing you can do is give it a go and see what happens.
Let me ask you this…
Would you regret it if you didn’t give it a shot?
Some things may be worth the effort needed to make it work.

I’ll give you a good example.
My brother met his wife at a wedding here in Ontario. She’s from Chicago. One night and they were hooked on eachother. Sparks flew. And they maintained a long distance relationship for well over a year before taking the plunge. Now…they are very happily married with a child.
Proof that it can work. You just have to make the effort and have the faith in it all.

Best of luck.

i agree with simone. if it is meant to work out, it can and it will. it just takes two very dedicated people.

as a woman, i am always weary of sleeping with someone too soon, and have my “rules” about how many dates, long long we’ve been dating, etc. before we sleep together. i was talking with my male roommate about it, and he told me i was way overthinking it. he says when he meets a girl he really likes, it doesn’t matter to him (other people may feel differently) how quickly they sleep together. when you really really like someone, your rulebook gets thrown out.

go into it with hope and but also trepidation, you’ll see pretty quickly whether he’s willing to do what it takes to make it work.

good luck!

I have always been of the “if it’s meant to be…” school of thought in matters of the heart.

P-DOG, while I don’t see anything particularly wrong with seeing it your way (giving it up too early…) I would definitely disagree that “that’s just the way it is”. If I were with a girl an entire week and we didn’t sleep together I might very well get up and leave. There are no rules, but that one is just as true for me as the opposite.
I have had a relationship with a girl for over a year with whom I had sex the second time I saw her, and would definitely do so again.

About long-distance relationships, they suck ass, but some people make them work.

/Jacob

I kind of disagree with Carrie on the rules thing.

People essentially have 2 rulebooks. One for the 3M (Meat Market Mode) and another one for LTR (Long Term Relationships, not Lord of The Rings, you geeks ;0p)

On top of that, you add the LDR factor. Obviously, 3M and LDR are a nonsense, at least with the same person. If you go Pirate Style (1 lady in every town), that`s another type of challenge ;0)

I`d be asking myself questions if a girl told me she wanted a LTR and that I realize I could bang her the first night out.

But then again, youve got the statistically lucky ones. But its possible. I wouldnt go into a bar for LTR material, so I put myself out of that chance` automatically, but I have my reasons for doing so.

Bottom line, brainy style: Know thyself. Be Honest. Keep your eyes open. Do some homework on the other`s character before dreaming up scenarios. Use your big head before your heart if LDR comes up.

Bottom line, instinct style: Youll know it when you feel it. Trust your instincts, that small voice that always speaks true when youre alone, calm and in silent surroundings. Ah, shit, keep it simple and just damn do it, based of what you feel. ;0)

People here gave you both sides of the argument. You do your choice, now. Good luck.