T Nation

Lombard Signs With UFC

He’ll be lucky to pass his first drug test.

what’s with the gear haters???
If I didn’t know any better I’d say some of you have been raped by some gear head?

Ever fought one? They got 30 seconds of madness in them and then it’s a free ride for you.

Much love to gear heads

You guys are not really considering the insane amount of ATP-CP Lombard exerts. He doesn’t pull punches and trust me, he has heaps in the gas tank. NOt a common trait of gear heads.

You’re mistaking his non stop forward push and full power exertions thus draining him slightly as being a sign of his weak gas tank. It’s pretty retarded if you haven’t seen him train and you watched him fight the russian and base your analysis on that. Don’t forget, he did dominate that fight even though it was a 5 rounder. He wasn’t and never pulls his punches and pussyfoots around like much of what I have seen with athletes in the cage. He only has two speeds. Off and full speed, that’s it.

Don’t underestimate his tank or his power. Trust me, I’ve fought and sparred with a quite a few gear heads and they don’t go at it like he does. The shit slows you down.

Props go to humble for keeping it real.

I have no idea if ‘Hektor’ is on the needle or not, nor do I care.

ALthough built like a model athlete, he certainly isn’t overeemish. Honestly, people who compare those two have no idea.
Low bodyfat + muscle != steroids.

I like Lombard. Again, no idea if the stories about him being a bully are true.
As a fighter he’s got aggressiveness, powerful technique, determination.
Quite a package!

In contrast to Brian Stann, he’s also got true knockout power. The superwarhero (unbelievable how people fall for that crap), although without doubt a strong fighter who can punch very hard, has to go forward to deliver. He must consciously strike hard.

Hector Lombard on the other hand, may put you to sleep with a short reaction punch.

The question is, of course, if Stann can avoid that by establishing a good deal of distance and driving forward on his terms. And how strong his clinch is against Lombard.

It’s a good, quality matchup and I look forward to it.

[quote]humble wrote:
what’s with the gear haters???
If I didn’t know any better I’d say some of you have been raped by some gear head?

Ever fought one? They got 30 seconds of madness in them and then it’s a free ride for you.

Much love to gear heads

You guys are not really considering the insane amount of ATP-CP Lombard exerts. He doesn’t pull punches and trust me, he has heaps in the gas tank. NOt a common trait of gear heads.

You’re mistaking his non stop forward push and full power exertions thus draining him slightly as being a sign of his weak gas tank. (…)

Don’t underestimate his tank or his power. Trust me, I’ve fought and sparred with a quite a few gear heads and they don’t go at it like he does. The shit slows you down.[/quote]

Don’t see why ‘gear’ (very ambiguous, there’s lots of drugs out there) would make you gas sooner. Again, I’m not going to say Lombard is or isn’t using, but the fact that he can keep a high power output for several rounds doesn’t exclude it at all. It’s not a stimulant.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Props go to humble for keeping it real.

I have no idea if ‘Hektor’ is on the needle or not, nor do I care.

(…)

I like Lombard. Again, no idea if the stories about him being a bully are true.
As a fighter he’s got aggressiveness, powerful technique, determination.
Quite a package!

In contrast to Brian Stann, he’s also got true knockout power. The superwarhero (unbelievable how people fall for that crap), although without doubt a strong fighter who can punch very hard, has to go forward to deliver. He must consciously strike hard.

Hector Lombard on the other hand, may put you to sleep with a short reaction punch.

The question is, of course, if Stann can avoid that by establishing a good deal of distance and driving forward on his terms. And how strong his clinch is against Lombard.

It’s a good, quality matchup and I look forward to it.[/quote]

Agree with allll this, except the part questioning Stann’s power. He may have to ‘consciously strike hard’, and perhaps lacks the absurd natural power of a Lombard or a Carwin, but he KOd Chris Leben, something that only one other man has accomplished (Anderson Silva). That alone should tell you that he packs enough power to put anybody to sleep. I don’t know if Hector has faced anybody with his power before, and more importantly, whether anybody with that power has touched him. On the other hand, I KNOW Stann has never had to deal with the kind of power Lombard possesses.

Like you say, quality matchup.

Seems like good matchups are often the ones where you wonder “if X can do y when Z does @”.

I’d like to know: do guys with a great chin lose it at some point?
It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary if Leben, from now on, drops occasionally.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Seems like good matchups are often the ones where you wonder “if X can do y when Z does @”.

I’d like to know: do guys with a great chin lose it at some point?
It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary if Leben, from now on, drops occasionally.
[/quote]

Makes sense.

Definitely on the KO thing, Wanderlei and Chuck being great examples. I cringe everytime I see Wandy in the ring now.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Seems like good matchups are often the ones where you wonder “if X can do y when Z does @”.

I’d like to know: do guys with a great chin lose it at some point?
It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary if Leben, from now on, drops occasionally.
[/quote]
Leben was tko’d by Stann.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Seems like good matchups are often the ones where you wonder “if X can do y when Z does @”.

I’d like to know: do guys with a great chin lose it at some point?
It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary if Leben, from now on, drops occasionally.
[/quote]
Leben was tko’d by Stann.[/quote]

yep. Was not out cold. He was also pretty sick for that fight and gassed way harder than usual. Stann basically broke him as a result, something which usually doesn’t happen in Chris’ case.

Gear tightens heart muscle and affects your cardiovascular system. Depending on your sport, it might not be much of an issue but in a fight mixed with lactic acid, nerves, cortisol and the plethora of toxicity that is poured into your blood stream, it takes hold of your ability to breathe.

It also enhances very quickly your type II’s and somewhat reduces their oxidative capacity. It’s not just a matter of ‘hell yeh, he looks like robocop so he must perform well’, the intrinsic value of muscle is much more important than it’s appearance. That is why you can quite often see people with skill who have wiry strength like Anderson completely dominate otherwise robust looking alpha males. It’s always about quality.

apparently

Dana made it official today that since Anderson has already cleaned out the middleweight division, if he beat’s Sonnen next, the winner of Lombard/Stann will get the next title fight.

[quote]humble wrote:
apparently

Dana made it official today that since Anderson has already cleaned out the middleweight division, if he beat’s Sonnen next, the winner of Lombard/Stann will get the next title fight. [/quote]

So, Bisbing isn’t good enough to get himself to Silva’s chopping block and now my hope of Lobard doing it isn’t going to work?

I see the point, also I don’t think it is in Silva’s best interest to wait. At some point age is going to catch him, and he hasn’t lost since 2006 by DQ or 2004 by submission.

If something happens I would also love to see Lombard vs:

Bisbing - for the carnage. I am petty. It is a fault.

Vitor - fast hands, questionable conditioning, and sharp striking, plus damn decent BJJ.

Hendo - heavy handed, fantastic in the clinch, would be fun to watch

Akiyama - so that he gets an object lesson in how a Judo player who has naturally heavy hands SHOULD try to fight.

I like Lombard’s chances in most of these, but I have to admit that his wins haven’t been against as deep a talent pool.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

So, Bisbing isn’t good enough to get himself to Silva’s chopping block and now my hope of Lobard doing it isn’t going to work?

I see the point, also I don’t think it is in Silva’s best interest to wait. At some point age is going to catch him, and he hasn’t lost since 2006 by DQ or 2004 by submission.

If something happens I would also love to see Lombard vs:

Bisbing - for the carnage. I am petty. It is a fault.

Vitor - fast hands, questionable conditioning, and sharp striking, plus damn decent BJJ.

Hendo - heavy handed, fantastic in the clinch, would be fun to watch

Akiyama - so that he gets an object lesson in how a Judo player who has naturally heavy hands SHOULD try to fight.

I like Lombard’s chances in most of these, but I have to admit that his wins haven’t been against as deep a talent pool.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

some good points there and I too would love nothing more than a humiliation of Bisping by Shango. Lombard would own his nuts!

More Hector Love

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/boxing/time-arrives-for-new-ufc-contender-hector-lombard/story-e6freygr-1226351179293?sv=1a18fc515ab1780f62896b6efe48a40c

[quote]humble wrote:
More Hector Love

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/boxing/time-arrives-for-new-ufc-contender-hector-lombard/story-e6freygr-1226351179293?sv=1a18fc515ab1780f62896b6efe48a40c[/quote]

Honest question:

What does a win over Stann prove?

I am happy that it may get Lombard a title shot, because I want to see him fight and both he and Silva are a bit long in the tooth. I like Brian Stann, but he is still developing and is not a “get past me and you are ready for Silva” opponent. His biggest win was Chris Leben.

Style wise I think this is a gimme for Lombard. Neither is ridiculously polished, and while Stann can certainly hit hard enough to hurt Lombard I don’t think he can bring a game plan that will let him do it any more than others in the past. Lombard should be so far ahead in the grappling department that he can pick where the fight goes.

Regards,

Robert A

I thinks its more the case that marketing Lombard - Silva/Sonnen winner will be very easy and we have every reason to believe it will be spectacular. Should he have to fight someone like Okami or Belfort for the shot there is a much bigger chance that he could lose and Vitor/Okami both have been smashed by Anderson lately so nobody probably needs to see that.

So I’d say its not so much about what would make most sense considering this as a sport where the best should fight the best (not saying Lombard doesn’t belong there, but him not having to prove it against top5 185) but bussiness wise it makes all the sense in the world cause basically, there are 2 guys in the top of 185 besides Lombard who could be pushed for the titleshot since everyone else has lost, Bisping and Munoz.

Bisping just lost the fight for the titleshot and I’m not sure if Munoz wants to fight Anderson anyways since they are friends, if Chael wins its a different story but Sonnen/Lombard would probably be far more exciting than Sonnen/Munoz.

Good points fistie

Stann just pulled out of the fight due to shoulder injury. Maybe we’ll get our wish for the Spitbing fight after all, hard to think Mike would be too pumped up to fight Boetsch and Lombard fight could even be marketed for number 1 contender fight.

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:
Stann just pulled out of the fight due to shoulder injury. Maybe we’ll get our wish for the Spitbing fight after all, hard to think Mike would be too pumped up to fight Boetsch and Lombard fight could even be marketed for number 1 contender fight.[/quote]

England vs Australia?

Now, to be fair I have to admit that while I think Bisbing will get thrashed he dose manage to get the W an uncomfortable amount of the time.

Still, I think Lombard presents the same issues as the spent Wand that Bisbing lost to (pressure and hard looping punches) plus a legit grappling game and a better chin.

Regards,

Robert A

Bisping tends to look uncomfortable when being put under constant pressure, I don’t know if he could outstrike Lombard by running and scoring a few points here and there but it wouldn’t be easy for sure and it could easily be the only fight Lombard would need for titleshot, I’d say his chances are better at beating Bisping than beating Stann and some top5 MW.

None of that matters though, since he is fighting Boetsch instead. Not really sure what to think of that fight, although I would’ve enjoyed Bisping - Lombard or Stann - Lombard more…