T Nation

Logical Alternative To Obamacare

Mackey is the CEO of Whole Foods and has taken his corporation in a completely "personal responsibility" direction involving healthcare. I've read tons of his pieces and watched a few videos of him. I would call him a genius for what he says but he's not, he just uses rational thought and common sense.

This article is probably the best, most responsible, logical alternative I've read to what's being forced on us now....which is why it will NEVER happen.

I would LOVE to see a Schiff/Mackey ticket in 2012....I'll keep daydreaming

People are so outraged, I would not throw any idea out the window for 2012.

I will say this, if Schiff runs for anything he will win.

And yet, if John Mackey came onto T-Nation recommending "a diet consisting of foods that are plant-based, nutrient dense and low-fat," he would likely be torn a new asshole.

If he came here to discuss nutrition yes. But his politics are what we are looking at.

He's all for grass fed livestock and the like. I think at least the staff here would like him. Haha

I could see him as president.

Schiff will never hold public office in this country.

He speaks the truth and is too logical.

We are finally able to accept the truth, It took a while but as we are seeing we are ready for the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/v/eIcNFKmuq20

A great first step was noted in Mackey's piece and, if I remember right, was part of McCain's proposal during his campaign - let insurance companies do business across state lines. Obama derided this approach as a "race to the bottom" that would create worse health care, but that is preposterous - insurance companies would still have to maintain adequate capital reserves and with the introduction of more fluid competition, services would get better, not worse. It would also create more diverse insurance pools.

Other ideas (I raised this on another thread): raise the culpability level for medical malpractice from "negligence" to "recklessness", i.e., harder to prove. To guard against sloppiness, maintain rules that a physician can lose his/her license if found to have acted negligently and harm occurred.

In this regime, doctors have a lot to lose if they practice negligently (their livelihood), thus creating plenty of incentive to be practice carefully, but are insulated from catastrophic financial payouts for medical malpractice unless they are particularly egregious, which lowers the loss exposure that ultimately drives so many unnecessary, costly tests and exorbitant insurance costs (that get passed along to the health care consumer).

I don't know, this is the American People we're talking about.

Handling the truth has not been their strong suit, historically speaking.

I have more faith in America then I have ever had, watch the Tea parties, watch the 9-12 project, and watch these town halls. America is hungry for the truth.

"At Whole Foods we allow our team members to vote on what benefits they most want the company to fund. Our Canadian and British employees express their benefit preferences very clearlyâ??they want supplemental health-care dollars that they can control and spend themselves without permission from their governments. Why would they want such additional health-care benefit dollars if they already have an "intrinsic right to health care"? The answer is clearâ??no such right truly exists in either Canada or the U.K.â??or in any other country."

....good point.

I guess we'll find out if you're right on November 2, 2010, John.

lol at the "liberal boycott" of whole foods after this oped. While its their right to boycott the store, none of them seem to point out what was so objectionable about the piece, other than the fact he criticized obama's plan.

Interesting how all the people in favour of Obama's plan are quiet on this thread.

Yes we will.

Wait, America will have proven that they've learned their lesson by voting in Republicans?

mike

They will be voting in conservatives. Most will be running under the Republican banner like Peter Schiff will when he finally announces his candidacy.