Log Press vs Push Press

You all are right. To prevent being a chicken I signed up for the competition (am awaiting confirmation now) and I will have acces to a log in 1-2 weeks so I will see whats up. If I get good enough at it to be competitive that would be really great, if I can put up a rep that is okay and if not I still made the effort!

I am sure I will have a lot of questions during my preparation and I would really appreciate if you guys assisted me. Would it be more convenient to start a log or continue to make threads in the strongman forum?

I’d keep making threads here while you have questions. The strongman forum is pretty slow, and it’d be nice to have more threads on topics where a few folks can weigh in on.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I’d keep making threads here while you have questions. The strongman forum is pretty slow, and it’d be nice to have more threads on topics where a few folks can weigh in on.[/quote]

Good idea, Ill make another one haha

Had my first try with a log today. I limited myself to 60 kg. I didn’t want to over do it the first time while I am not familiar with it. What I noticed is that pressing is not a problem, cleaning is hard and my work capacity is way off. This excersise kicked my ass. I was all out of breath and focus on technique after only a few reps! Squats and deadlifts are a joke in comparison to the log in terms of how exhausting it is. I will try to get a video of me performing the log clean and press for critique in the near future.

Recently did 75 kg and 70 for 3 afterwards. The clean is still a problem - it costs too much energy. The press is okay but after a hard clean I don’t have enough power left to maximize my full potential on the press. Because of this the 75kg was really hard and it was a struggle to lock out my elbows.

You doing anything to improve your conditioning?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
You doing anything to improve your conditioning?[/quote]

Yes mostly rowing on aconcept rower for 500m sprints or 2000m as fast as possible (trying to beat my time). Plus some tabata style training. Also doing my assistance work in either super sets or 3 excersises super setted with minimal rest between the rounds and high reps for the excersises.

I personally don’t feel like that will carry over incredibly well to the log clean. When I was in your situation, and the clean was what was really hindering me, I did a lot more cleaning. I had access to a log, but a sandbag or keg would do the trick just fine. Something like every minute on the minute hit 3 cleans with about 75% of your 1rm for 10 minutes.

If you’re really hurting for equipment and have access to bumpers, you could do the stone trainers as well. Similar mechanics of picking heavy things off the floor.

I have done tabata clean and press with a barbell before, although I don’t know if it’d carry over well to the log clean.