T Nation

Log Press vs Push Press


#1

I know a lot of perople here hate questions like "what percentage of lift a is lift b..." but I read about a strongman novice competition and wondered how hard it is to press a log in comparison to a barbell.

I have recently push pressed 90kg/ ~200lbs starting from the front rack position known from olympic lifting. I did this without a peak or special preparation just for the sake of it. The contest has you log press either 70kg or 80kg for reps (weight beats reps).

Just testing both is not an option as I do not have access to a log.

From your experience: If you can push press 90kg is that enough to log press 70kg at all (if you are/ are not familiar with log pressing)?


#2

Can you get a keg? The dynamics of cleaning and pressing a keg are somewhat similar to a log. Additionally, you can help train yourself by using a neutral grip with some dumbbells and having them racked similar to how you would rack a log (basically, have a dumbbell head on your collarbone).

You have the strength to move the log, it’s a question of if you can apply that strength TO a log. The reason a log troubles people is because it places your hands further away/out from your chest, so instead of pressing directly overhead you’re pressing OUT from yourself at the start of the lift. If you’re very technique driven in your lifting, this will really foul you up. Meanwhile, I got a buddy of mine that managed to clean and press a 200lb log 5 times the very first time he touched one simply because he had the brute strength to manhandle the apparatus.


#3

What Punisher said is very pragmatic and should be taken seriously. What I’m about to say is pretty useless but It’ll give you some food for thought.

Your log press will be somewhere in the between of your best strict press and push press. That said, with a 90kg push press, a 70kg log should be doable. However there are so many variables with a log that I’d wager you to be able to get as many as 5-7 reps but even as few as ONE.

My experience is that I’m not half the log presser I am a barbell or axle presser. I also fucking hate training it and it makes me feel like a little bitch. Have fun!


#4

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Can you get a keg? The dynamics of cleaning and pressing a keg are somewhat similar to a log. Additionally, you can help train yourself by using a neutral grip with some dumbbells and having them racked similar to how you would rack a log (basically, have a dumbbell head on your collarbone).

You have the strength to move the log, it’s a question of if you can apply that strength TO a log. The reason a log troubles people is because it places your hands further away/out from your chest, so instead of pressing directly overhead you’re pressing OUT from yourself at the start of the lift. If you’re very technique driven in your lifting, this will really foul you up. Meanwhile, I got a buddy of mine that managed to clean and press a 200lb log 5 times the very first time he touched one simply because he had the brute strength to manhandle the apparatus. [/quote]

That ist a very interesting question. I think my strength in the push press lies in solid technique and being able to apply speed from my legs/ hips. When I push press it nearly flys up to the point my elbows are nearly straightened, if the weight is near maximal I slow down at this point and have to rely on brute strength to lock out my elbows. An indicator for my push press being the result of good technique is that I am a terrible bench presser, so 90kg is quite a lot in relation to my bench press. Or this is an indicator for my terrible bench press technique…


#5

What can you strict press?

Also, just had this thought, a sandbag would be another great implement to get you ready for a log. The cleaning and pressing of it is similar, and it’s pretty hard to finesse a sandbag.

Vinny: I’ve also noticed that, the better I get at axle, the more I hate the log, haha. My only solace is that I at least have a shot at cleaning the damn thing.


#6

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
What Punisher said is very pragmatic and should be taken seriously. What I’m about to say is pretty useless but It’ll give you some food for thought.

Your log press will be somewhere in the between of your best strict press and push press. That said, with a 90kg push press, a 70kg log should be doable. However there are so many variables with a log that I’d wager you to be able to get as many as 5-7 reps but even as few as ONE.

My experience is that I’m not half the log presser I am a barbell or axle presser. I also fucking hate training it and it makes me feel like a little bitch. Have fun![/quote]

Well I definitely would need to practice at least some of the events with actual implements. I just saw this contest by coincidence and thought “I maybe would not make a total fool of myself in all of the events” If I considered doing it I wouldn’t care about my performance in comparison to others but I would still want to be able to atleast perform the events.

The other events are: sand sack carry 90kg, tire flip 250kg and loading of implements 50-100kg. All of it sounds incredibly heavy to me but on the other side I have no clue about this stuff because I have never tried any of this stuff.


#7

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
What can you strict press?

Also, just had this thought, a sandbag would be another great implement to get you ready for a log. The cleaning and pressing of it is similar, and it’s pretty hard to finesse a sandbag.

Vinny: I’ve also noticed that, the better I get at axle, the more I hate the log, haha. My only solace is that I at least have a shot at cleaning the damn thing.[/quote]

I have strict pressed 70 kg and I think if I maxed out on it I might get a bit more. So guessing my max might be 70-75kg. 75 if I properly peaked for it. This is vague but it is a long time since I maxed out on military press. A more recent pr is 60kg for 6 reps.


#8

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
What Punisher said is very pragmatic and should be taken seriously. What I’m about to say is pretty useless but It’ll give you some food for thought.

Your log press will be somewhere in the between of your best strict press and push press. That said, with a 90kg push press, a 70kg log should be doable. However there are so many variables with a log that I’d wager you to be able to get as many as 5-7 reps but even as few as ONE.

My experience is that I’m not half the log presser I am a barbell or axle presser. I also fucking hate training it and it makes me feel like a little bitch. Have fun![/quote]

Actually this is about what I thought I might get into it and manage a few reps if the clean isn’t to hard but maybe I can not get a rep at all.


#9

It sounds like you have the strength to pull off at least a rep. If you end up picking up some sandbags and kegs, you could probably get pretty decent at it, and those will help with a lot of the other events you got going on as well, so it’s win-win.


#10

Yeah. Do it mang. It’s fun. Srs.


#11

A keg shouldn’t be too hard to get. As a substitute for a sand sack I could use a 60 kg boxing sack to start with. But I have absolutely no idea how to train for tire flipping. 250 kg sounds ridiculous and exceeds my best deadlift by far!


#12

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
A keg shouldn’t be too hard to get. As a substitute for a sand sack I could use a 60 kg boxing sack to start with. But I have absolutely no idea how to train for tire flipping. 250 kg sounds ridiculous and exceeds my best deadlift by far![/quote]

Keep in mind, you’re not lifting the entire tire off the ground, and it’s got a leverage point since it IS a tire flip. Watch some videos on technique, but you should be good. 250kg isn’t too terribly heavy for a tire.


#13

Regarding the log,

I have never performed a Strongman comp, nor trained the implements, but a few weeks ago I was at my girlfriend’s gym and found, of all things, a Strongman log sitting in the corner. Labeled 145 pounds, for what that’s worth. I was able to push-press it about as easily as I can press a 145-pound barbell. When push-pressing the log, you get a little extra from the bottom because it’s resting on your chest so as you start the upward drive, so the pressure of your chest starts moving the log upwards (and the diameter means you’re starting a little bit higher than you are with a barbell).

EDIT: I just re-read your post. If you can push-press 90 kg, you can absolutely get an 80 kg log overhead. I will note, however, that cleaning the log is VERY odd if you’re not used to it. It is nothing like a barbell clean. Unless you’re strong enough to just rip it from the ground straight up to your chest, you will have to haul it up to mid-thigh, pause, then sort of roll it up your front-side. I posted a video in my training log of me pressing the…well, log…if you want to see what it looks like when a beginner to the implement tries it.

So I might err on the side of the 70 kg log just to make sure you can clean it, haha. You might knock off a decent number of reps, too.


#14

I am be a terrible example, but my log is horrible compared to an axle or Barbell.

Max Axle Strict is 285lbs
Max Log is 285lbs

Those numbers kind of make sense

but my max axle push-press is 360-370
and my max log push-press is only like 315.

I can place the axle on my shoulders and actually get leg drive out of it, the log my legs don’t help me much at all. They are just two totally different animals and i would really say that you have to train both if you want to do well at this competition.


#15

For me, the log is easier to clean but harder to press than a barbell or an axle. My strict for the axle is about 200lbs and my strict for the log is about 180lbs. I find that leg drive with the log can screw you up if you lean back too far


#16

[quote]Alpha wrote:
I am be a terrible example, but my log is horrible compared to an axle or Barbell.

Max Axle Strict is 285lbs
Max Log is 285lbs

Those numbers kind of make sense

but my max axle push-press is 360-370
and my max log push-press is only like 315.

I can place the axle on my shoulders and actually get leg drive out of it, the log my legs don’t help me much at all. They are just two totally different animals and i would really say that you have to train both if you want to do well at this competition.[/quote]

Even though I don’t have the time to follow your log anymore I am still subscribed to your youtube account and visit your site from time to time. Your performance is amazing! I will try to get a hold of a log atleast to test it one time before I enter the competition. If that shows that I am way off of 70 kg than I won’t enter, if it is doable for atleast a rep I will do everything possible to better myself and enter the contest.


#17

Thank you all for your encouragement and tips! I will try to get a hold of atleast some of the equipment, test it and will continue to ask questions if I am actually entering the contest.

Regarding the log I think my main problems will be the clean and applying leg drive because of bend back position. But without testing this is theoretical and not worth anything.


#18

Compete even if you can’t hit the log in training man. Nothing will push you harder IN training than knowing you have a competition coming up with a weight you haven’t mastered yet.


#19

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Compete even if you can’t hit the log in training man. Nothing will push you harder IN training than knowing you have a competition coming up with a weight you haven’t mastered yet.[/quote]

This. Compete if you think you can get at least a single rep in each event. My gym recently held a strongman comp and if it hadn’t been for the 400 lb trap bar deadlifts I would have competed - with no change of scoring anything but the last place. Strongman competitions are AWESOME.


#20

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Compete even if you can’t hit the log in training man. Nothing will push you harder IN training than knowing you have a competition coming up with a weight you haven’t mastered yet.[/quote]

This. Compete if you think you can get at least a single rep in each event. My gym recently held a strongman comp and if it hadn’t been for the 400 lb trap bar deadlifts I would have competed - with no change of scoring anything but the last place. Strongman competitions are AWESOME.
[/quote]

I agree, but even if you think you can’t get a single rep, still do it.

If you’re currently deadlifting 400lbs, and you train for a contest that requires a 500lb deadlift and you spent 12 weeks trying to get that deadlift and on the day of the contest you only had 495 in you and zero the deadlift…you still added 95lbs to your deadlift in 12 weeks.

Competition makes you strong, it’s just plain awesome.