Log-Fighting Binge Eating

"Hello all:

Well I started training a few years back but serious for about a year. In the process I developed a pain in the ass called “binge eating”. This “pain in the ass” has gained me around 20 pounds of fat. Right now I’m at around 180 lbs with around 12-15% bodyfat and looking to get back to my formal weight of 155-160 with 8-10% bodyfat. After that I will go on a mass phase to gain muscle weight not fat like I did by binging.

I will use this as my motivator and my journal towards being lean and free of binge eating. Binge eating is not just a pain in the ass by the way, it really is a self-killer which takes you to the ground and kicks you while you’re low. GOOD LUCK TO ME.

I have tryed dieting but always went back to binging after a week. Today I start again with a ketogenic aproach. My weight was 186 lbs this morning. My goal is to be down 20-30 lbs in 3 months. I know it sounds like alot but this is the ideal weight for my sport(soccer). From there I will gain weight but the right way not all fat like I did from binge eating.

My macro-breakdown looks like this for today.

Calories: 1192

Fat: 26%
Sat:4%
Poly:10%
Mono:0%
Carbs: 18%(58 grams- 8 fiber)
Protein: 56%

Had about a Gallon and change of water.

First day wasn’t the greatest. Need more fat and less carbs but the break-down came up like that because of the low intake of calories. I actually don’t feel very hungry so I can’t complain. It’s usually really hard for me to get up to 2000 calories when on a ketogenic diet so it can only favor me for fat-loss purposes.

I had a very nice chest workout today and jogged around the track for maybe 10-15 minutes.

Overall I’m happy with today. Tomorrow will be a better day diet-wise.

Today was good. Was an arm-day at the gym and it was an awesome workout again. Afterwards did some running(about 10 laps). I really like the workouts I’m having so far, probably the best in a long time. My motivation is thru the roof but there is a reason for that :-).

Nutrition today looked like this:

1487 Calories

Fat: 65g 43%
Sat: 17g 11%
Poly: 21g 14%
Mono: 11g 7%

Carbs: 59g 13%
Fiber: 16g 0%

Protein: 150g 44%

I’m very happy about today. Got more calories in and more fat and fiber with less carbs. Feeling good and looking better as the days go by.

Good luck, glad you’ve been sticking with it recently.

I was just wondering about your “arm day”? That could be a good thing or a bad thing, but if you’re doing a dedicated “arm day” every week you’re not going to be getting much bang for your buck as far as your body composition goals.

An already competitive body-builder with a solid base and low bf% could justify it - or someone with a lot of time and recovery capacity (which could well describe you, I don’t know).

Anyway, just a pointer in case you needed it, if you don’t just tell me to butt out!

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
Good luck, glad you’ve been sticking with it recently.

I was just wondering about your “arm day”? That could be a good thing or a bad thing, but if you’re doing a dedicated “arm day” every week you’re not going to be getting much bang for your buck as far as your body composition goals.

An already competitive body-builder with a solid base and low bf% could justify it - or someone with a lot of time and recovery capacity (which could well describe you, I don’t know).

Anyway, just a pointer in case you needed it, if you don’t just tell me to butt out!
[/quote]

No I appreciate your advice and you reading my log. I know what you mean but since I will be losing weight there won’t be much muscle growth if any. I do better with splits as I feel better about the workout once I’m done. I have tried working on two muscles groups per day excluding legs with less volume so I can work them twice per week and I didn’t like it much so that is the reason why I’m going down that road.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
I have tried working on two muscles groups per day excluding legs with less volume so I can work them twice per week and I didn’t like it much so that is the reason why I’m going down that road.[/quote]

Fair enough, everyone responds a little differently. I can put away a LOT more calories when I work legs, chest or back. If I go and do an arm day I might as well be sitting in an arm chair, but then again, my arms aren’t so big!

Also, at my age (31, but it aint 21) I’m struggling to do arms after heavy compounds. I’d need a couple of days off to do it justice. Guys I train with (younger and fitter) can manage it and thrive on it.

The guy I used to train with would train 2x day, 6 days a week. He would do 2x 1.5 hour sessions on arms in a single day. I got used to the volume but I lift much heavier now that I’m doing my own thing. He was a big boy, and spent half his life in a refugee camp so I reckon he could deal with almost anything and thrive.

06/25

1504 Calories

Fat: 75g 50%
Sat: 12g 8%
Poly:26g 17%
Mono:29g 19%
Carbs: 59g 12%
Fiber: 17g 0%
Protein: 130g 38%

I didn’t train yesterday, was planning to go but something came up and kind of glad it did because my arms shoulders and chest were really sore. Diet was good and I’m still not going past 2000 calories per day.

So far everything is going great and even if the calories are low the goal is fat loss and it can only help. It’s great to be dieting and not starving but I have learned to keep my self full with low calorie-high volume food(veggies and such).

Today Will be working legs so a tough battle with the Iron is ahead :P.

06/26

Calories: 1543

Fat: 82g 739 51%
Sat:12g 106 7%
Poly:30g 271 19%
Mono:22g 199 14%
Carbs: 55g 185 13%
Fiber:9g 0 0%
Protein:129g 516 36%

Was a very good day. Did some leg work and was impress with my dead-lift but my grip needs alot of work. I feel I can lift more weight on the dead-lift but my grip isn’t allowing it. Anyways, great workout again which is awesome.

Ronaldo,

I think you should probably eat a little more, because it is going to be hard to reduce intake (because its already very low) when your fat loss starts to plateau and you don’t want to sacrifice muscle. Also, low calories could have caused you to binge in the past.

I’d start off with trying to shoot for
about 135 G of fat
and 180 G of protein
a day… carbs coming just from vegetables and nuts/protein powders
This should get your body into fat burning mode then I would
Gradually reduce fat while increasing protein.
try to always get .5-.75 g of Fat per pound of bodyweight and 1-1.5 g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

06/27/08

Calories: 2035

Fat: 121g 58%
Sat: 13g 6%
Poly: 41g 20%
Mono: 44g 21%

Carbs: 63g 9%
Fiber:20g 0%

Protein:156g 33%

Ate more on this day and took off from the gym. I think after the leg day some muscles close to my head got busted because I have this constant light headache which I felt about 2-3 months ago after I did a 17 rep squat set. It lasted for about a month so I REALLY REALLY hope this one isn’t bad at all and I can keep lifting. Will be working on my back today.

[quote]jlats wrote:
Ronaldo,

I think you should probably eat a little more, because it is going to be hard to reduce intake (because its already very low) when your fat loss starts to plateau and you don’t want to sacrifice muscle. Also, low calories could have caused you to binge in the past.

I’d start off with trying to shoot for
about 135 G of fat
and 180 G of protein
a day… carbs coming just from vegetables and nuts/protein powders
This should get your body into fat burning mode then I would
Gradually reduce fat while increasing protein.
try to always get .5-.75 g of Fat per pound of bodyweight and 1-1.5 g of protein per pound of bodyweight.
[/quote]
Yes you’re right. I have been eating more peanuts and such and was able to get 2000 calories yesterday. I’m also thinking about changing my lifting plan to just alot of dead lifts, squats, presses and some sort of upper back work.

06/28/08

Calories:2035

Fat: 121g 1085 58%
Sat: 13g 120 6%
Poly: 41g 370 20%
Mono: 44g 399 21%
Carbs: 63g 172 9%
Fiber: 20g 0 0%
Protein: 156g 625 33%

06/29/08

Calories:1437

Fat: 74g 47%
Sat:5g 3%
Poly:21g 14%
Mono:24g 16%
Carbs:66g 15%
Fiber:14g 0%
Protein:133g 38%

Went over 50 grams of carbs but not by much.

06/30/08

Calories:2036

Fat:111g 1001 52%
Sat:11g 102 5%
Poly:34g 304 16%
Mono:39g 347 18%
Carbs:82g 253 13%
Fiber:19g 0 0%
Protein:164g 654 34%

Went over 50G of carbs again. I ran out of string beans which is basically my green veggies so I was eating too much tomatoes and onions but got some string beans today so I should be good.

07/01/08

I didn’t train Sunday nor Monday because of Soccer which really aids my fat-loss. Today I had a chest workout and felt rather weak. Was not a very good workout. I may need a carb meal soon or up my calories a little more. My plan is to have a carb meal on Friday or later depending on how I feel by the end of the week. Tomorrow I will be doing squats and dead-lifts. Hopefully my workout tomorrow won’t be a shadow of todays but that’s in my own hands.

Calories: 2113

Fat: 100g 898 45%
Sat: 15g 135 7%
Poly: 35g 318 16%
Mono: 26g 236 12%
Carbs: 88g 283 14%
Fiber: 17g 0 0%
Protein:199g 797 40%

Went over 50 grams of carbs once again but this time by too much. I feel really good about my progress so far but not to happy about going over my carb intake for the day.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
I have tried working on two muscles groups per day excluding legs with less volume so I can work them twice per week and I didn’t like it much so that is the reason why I’m going down that road.

Fair enough, everyone responds a little differently. I can put away a LOT more calories when I work legs, chest or back. If I go and do an arm day I might as well be sitting in an arm chair, but then again, my arms aren’t so big!

Also, at my age (31, but it aint 21) I’m struggling to do arms after heavy compounds. I’d need a couple of days off to do it justice. Guys I train with (younger and fitter) can manage it and thrive on it.

The guy I used to train with would train 2x day, 6 days a week. He would do 2x 1.5 hour sessions on arms in a single day. I got used to the volume but I lift much heavier now that I’m doing my own thing. He was a big boy, and spent half his life in a refugee camp so I reckon he could deal with almost anything and thrive.

[/quote]

I actually changed my mind and will be doing a squats/dead-lifts , presses and some upper back work. Squats and dead-lifts, upper back one day and presses another day. I’m shooting for 4-5 days a week in the gym.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:

I actually changed my mind and will be doing a squats/dead-lifts , presses and some upper back work. Squats and dead-lifts, upper back one day and presses another day. I’m shooting for 4-5 days a week in the gym.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure if you hit those exercises hard you’ll gain more muscle and lose more fat than if you split it down further. You can always isolate a bit more when you’re looking ripped!

Calories: 1285

Fat:51g 460 39%
Sat: 5g 46 4%
Poly:19g 173 15%
Mono:2g 16 1%
Carbs:60g 202 17%
Fiber:10g 0 0%
Protein:129g 516 44%

Didn’t eat much do to waking up late. Went to the gym and it sucked. Today was a squat, dead-lift day and I was just not in it. Didn’t finish my workout and my body just feels strange, like I have no energy and don’t want to push my self. This week my workouts have been nothing like the start of the diet, they just keep getting worse. I’m thinking about having a carb meal on friday night to see if I feel better.

On the good side, my weight this morning was at 172 lbs, so I’m down 14 lbs of course alot of it water and glycogen but also fat. I feel much much leaner and I can see my two top abs.

Hopefully things will get better. I also have this head injury still bothering me( not really head-injury but the muscles in my neck give me a headache). Until next time, good night.

Calories: 2264

Fat: 116g 1044 49%
Sat: 12g 108 5%
Poly:34g 304 14%
Mono:43g 387 18%

Carbs:88g 255 12%
Fiber:24g 0 0%

Protein:204g 816 39%

Today I ate much more than previous days. Since yesterday night I have felt like binging. Right now I just finished a diet pepsi and that calmed me down. I don’t know If I ate so much more today because I haven’t had too many calories, need a carb meal or my body is just exhausted and it needs more sleep.

As for activity, today I played soccer for about 45 minutes. Tomorrow I’m planning to work on chest.