Log Clean and Press Form

Don’t have a video, but I have a question on the form for the log C+P. Basically, I get low like I would a normal clean, except I use a hell of a lot more upper body to get the log to my chest. I usually end up “yanking” it in 1 shot from the floor to my collar bone, then pressing. The pressing isn’t too bad, but the cleaning is a pain.

I worked up to a few sets of 180lbs to hone-in on my form is yesterday was the first day I’ve attempted the lift. I noticed last night and this morning the lower portion of my biceps and upper portion of my forearms is killing me today. I can barely fully extend my arms without pain. I feel like this is conducive to a bicep tear down the road. Ill see if I can get a video up this weekend or next weekend if I am healed up.

I’d like to help out, but I don’t actually know what your question is from your post.

A video would be great though.

Sorry, my question was should I be using so much upper body to get the log to my chest. I feel like really sore biceps is bad.

Ideally you don’t want to pull the log up to your chest. You’ll want to lap it, or at the very least, make contact with it with your hips to roll it up your body.

For a super heavy log, you’re going to squat pretty deep with the log on your lap, basically already making contact with your chest, and then try to stand up and roll it up your body.

Do you know what diameter log you are using? An 8" log is a bitch to clean, and most likely would use the style you are talking about, whereas a 12" log is a lot easier to clean.

I believe it is 8" and 110lbs.

But I was not using that form at all. I was kind of doing a power clean/row a the same time and getting the log to my clavicles. My clean is terrible as I have not practiced it since I played football in high school. I barely got 200 with the axle last week, but pressing wasn’t too bad.

More than likely it’s the equipment that is limiting you. Small diameter logs just suck to clean. I had a 9" log that I turned into a 12+" log, and simply increasing the diameter changed my technique with no conscious action on my part.

Here is my first time ever using the log, and I imagine my technique is similar to what you were talking about

And here was my first time trying out my ghetto log

So I’d say, don’t beat yourself up too much over your cleans sucking, because it’s just a nightmare to try to clean. BEFORE I increased the log diameter, I found some success in just REALLY exaggerating the lapping portion of the clean with the 9" log. Basically, row the log into your lap, sit WAY back/down, press the log into your chest, and then pop your hips up while you stand and try to roll the log up your chest.

Still get a video up when you can. It’d be good to see if there are other things that can be addressed.

I don’t think the smaller diameter log is that much of an issue. Its all in the lap. Deadlift the log, then sit down with it in your lap. I “lap” it as high on my knees as I can. This shortens the distance you have to move it. You can almost just place it against your chest and stand up. I was going to go into a long explanation, but Alan Thrall is on it.

I train at a gym with a lot of pro’s, their log C&P all looks like Alan’s. Deadlift, lap, punch the ceiling hard, repeat.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
I don’t think the smaller diameter log is that much of an issue. [/quote]

You don’t have an easier time cleaning a 12" vs an 8"? I’m actually pretty shocked. It’s a sentiment I’ve encountered a bit.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
I don’t think the smaller diameter log is that much of an issue. Its all in the lap. Deadlift the log, then sit down with it in your lap. I “lap” it as high on my knees as I can. This shortens the distance you have to move it. You can almost just place it against your chest and stand up. I was going to go into a long explanation, but Alan Thrall is on it.

I train at a gym with a lot of pro’s, their log C&P all looks like Alan’s. Deadlift, lap, punch the ceiling hard, repeat.

While you might be exempt from the rule, most people definitely aren’t. A smaller diameter log doesn’t get up as high on your torso making it much harder to get up on your chest. A 10" is more difficult to clean than a 12", but not by much depending on the person. An 8" is emphatically harder. It’s just the way it works.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

While you might be exempt from the rule, most people definitely aren’t. A smaller diameter log doesn’t get up as high on your torso making it much harder to get up on your chest. A 10" is more difficult to clean than a 12", but not by much depending on the person. An 8" is emphatically harder. It’s just the way it works.[/quote]

It’s been a while since I touched anything other than a 12 lnch log, but I don’t remember a significant difference. I always found the clean to be the easier part of the lift, so maybe I am an oddball.

Lately my back has been acting up bad, so no video. Sorry. I barely got to a 500lb yoke and my back gave out, so decided to just go light the rest of the session. I might take this week off too and we’ll see how things go next week.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Lately my back has been acting up bad, so no video. Sorry. I barely got to a 500lb yoke and my back gave out, so decided to just go light the rest of the session. I might take this week off too and we’ll see how things go next week.[/quote]

The forearm soreness could be from the log smashing your forearms on the clean and/or put down. It is pretty common to get ‘bone bruises’ on your forearms from the log - and you will sometimes see guys wear longer wrist wraps and wrap them higher, put sleeves on their forearms, or put some tape/padding on the log to offset this.