Log Books in the Gym

[quote]Itchy wrote:
I don’t have one. I don’t have that much trouble remembering what weights I’m trying to lift.[/quote]

I use to keep one and found I usually remembered my weights as well. I started to find that I trained harder when I did not run to my book after every set and found it to be better for gains.

[quote]deadlift655 wrote:
Itchy wrote:
I don’t have one. I don’t have that much trouble remembering what weights I’m trying to lift.

I use to keep one and found I usually remembered my weights as well. I started to find that I trained harder when I did not run to my book after every set and found it to be better for gains. [/quote]

Same here. I think more progress can be made (for me anyway) by, instead of trying to get 5x5x200 or whatever, just going in there and busting ass and desperately chasing 250.

i keep one, but it’s out of habit now that i update a log here. plus if you’re only doing two - four big exercises per session, it’s easy to remember the work set weights.

I keep one. I’m not SUPER detailed in it. It’s mainly to keep track of my big-4 lifts since I’m doing 5/3/1. I also write a rough outline of accessory work I want to do that day. However I frequently deviate from the plan depending on what I’m feeling that day.

I have an app on my Ipod Touch and it is awesome. I cant remember the name but it was $5 well spent. And after my workouts I can email them to my self to keep at home.

I keep a log on T-Nation

I keep logs in my toilet.

I have an excel sheet on my computer.

I can usually remember how much weight and for how many reps for every set for every movement up for every workout up to 1-2 weeks back in time. I don’t know why I remember this, my brain is weird. So I really wouldn’t need a logbook, but it’s nice to have something to look back on later, to see the long term progress, what happened when you changed something, etc.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
never have.

92% of the people who use log books aren’t as big as me

the other 8% are huge as faaaaaawk

so i guess you decide if it’s worth it or not[/quote]

Best Post

I use my Ipod touch with an application called gym buddy. It’s really taken my training to the next level.

• Adam

I use a notebook, I keep it at home.

I remember everything I did and write it down when I get home, if I’m due to do the same exercise I just check back and see what I’ve gotta beat.

It’s not fancy but it works. The only reason I leave it at home is because I’m sure I’d either:

1.) Lose the damn pen at the gym and never have one.
2.) Lose the log book and be really pissed.

I’d actually like to start using one, but I’ve only seen a couple that I like and was broke when I saw them. I don’t see where’d you’d find time to use it though; that’s a pretty packed hour for me.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
I carry a little notepad then update it to an excel sheet (am behind on updating the excel)

I am one of the very few people at my gym that does this. I do see the occasional person with a printed workout or a page out of a magazine.[/quote]

I have lifted thru the years with and without. This time since I started back I use a little book and update in excel or on Bodybuilding.com. I have found it helps me a whole lot. Even though it is a nuisance to carry around, the bennies outweigh the hassle. Also, I am so darn forgetful I need to cary something around to remind me to wipe my nose when it runs.

I’ve used one for years. I am old and work shift work and have CRS ( can’t remember squat). I taped my scan card on the front to make sure i carry it.

i find i need one sometimes when i do unilateral leg stuff. i can hardly remember how to walk, let alone weights, sets & reps. it’s also good to know how i’m progressing or what changes occur if i start taking a new supplement etc

I’m onto my third log book in the past 5 years … I get em at prowriststraps.com

I’ve never noticed one way or the other if people carry log books or not tbh. And I agree, I’d much rather talk about twinkies

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I keep logs in my toilet.[/quote]

NICE!!

I put my workout in my phone. I used to remember it until I got home but I’m getting old.

I carry a log with me to track my weights and to take note of how I feel. I place a ++ to show that I need to increase the weight and also indicate when my form or grip starts to slip. Its also nice to go back to see how much stronger I got over the months :slight_smile:

[quote]josienj wrote:
I carry a log with me to track my weights and to take note of how I feel. I place a ++ to show that I need to increase the weight and also indicate when my form or grip starts to slip. Its also nice to go back to see how much stronger I got over the months :)[/quote]

YES!!! Sort of like a report card. Only your parents won’t have to come have a conference with the teacher! I have made great progress since June so I am glad I keep it.