Loftearmen's MMA Log

I got to go to BJJ tonight which was nice. I didn’t do any rolling but I did get to drill a lot of good techniques from knee on belly as well as some knee on belly and side mount escapes.

This isn’t an amazing fight or anything but just watch these fighters’ entrances lol.

DB Press
50’sx15
70’sx10
80’sx3x10…superset…DB Row 80’sx3x10

DB Overhead Press
50’sx15
50’sx10
50’sx10

Nothing heavy because of my shoulder/neck

Deadlift
135x5
225x5
315+65x3
405+65x3
495+65x1
545+65x1
555+65x1

Bench Press
135x20
185x10
225x10
225x10
135x30

Shoulder and neck were a little tender so I kept the bench presses pretty light.

Zercher Squats (Dead stop in the power rack)

45x5
135x5
185x5
225x5
315x3
365x1
405x1

Leg Press
8 platesx10
10 platesx10
12 platesx10
14 platesx10
16 platesx10

Db Press
65’sx15
70’sx10
75’sx10
80’sx10
85’sx10
115’sx6

Peck Deck
3x15

Front delt raises
2x15

Side delt raises
2x10

Rear delt peck deck
2x10

Recumbant bike for a bit

Deadlift w/ chains
135+65x5
225+65x5
315+65x5
405+65x3
495+65x1
565+65+1

Log Rows
90x15
140x15
180x10
230x10

Shadow boxing

I actually had to quit shadow boxing because I was so sweaty that I kept slipping and falling from the ground being so wet. It was 108 today.

I actually got to go to bjj tonight! I trained with my normal coach, Pat, but he was teaching at MG’s tonight. I had aome good rolls but I was really rusty. I wish I was able to get more time on the mat. Honestly, all these little nagging injuries are holding me back more than anything. After class my biceps tendon and my knee were killing me.

AM:

5 min on/1 min restx6 cycles
Ab wheel roll outs, bodyweight squats, sit ups, jump rope, heavy bag, shadow boxing

This was brutal but an awesome training session

PM:

DB Hammer Curls…ss…Tri Pushdowns
3x10

Incline DB Skull Crushers…ss…Incline Seated Curls
3x10

This was good but only took a few minutes.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:

It’s basically a hook that comes out straight at first and then loops inward at the last second. He turns his hand over so it lands with the top of his knuckles instead of the front. They look sloppy as hell but he has put some of the best mma fighters in the world down for a nap using them. Just curious what yall thought since you specialize in punching.[/quote]

Like the other guys said it can be a good mix up/deception punch. If you understand the mechanics of a circular hook you can make everything “connect” even with just a few inches of distance to create momentum which means you can spin someone’s head (or at least surprise them) with it. I personally like throwing a fake jab to draw the opponent’s guard and attention in, then throwing the hook around the guard to the head. Or, if I really want to get tricky I’ll throw one of Rich Ryan’s “Detour” hooks which have an almost 100% rate of landing in actual sparring in my experience.

I don’t like to turn the fist over as much as Fedor does though unless I am using the hook to trap/clear the guard and/or elbow.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
My coach explaining the skydiver pass to guillotine choke

Cool techniques. Thanks for sharing.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Since I can’t really make it to bjj since school started, I will be focusing on striking for the next year. Today I did some rounds of rope skips but mostly just shadow boxing as I feel it targets a majority of my weaknesses better than other solo training methods. I was pretty rusty since I haven’t been striking for a few months and my cardio wasn’t what it used to be after my short layoff from hurting my neck so I have a lot of work to do. I still think I did okay considering the many set backs I have had as of late. I video’d the last round of the day so that my form issues would really stand out.

Good advice on this already given. One other thing that I noticed you tend to do is leaving your rear foot “in the bucket”, aka not stepping it forward and regaining your fighting posture when you have stepped forward with your front foot on a jab. This places your feet in a slightly too wide stance to be able to really shift your weight to your front leg on your straight right as it should. This also hinders your mobility making moving and especially pivoting more difficult. It is also robbing your straight right of some of the mass/power that it should have.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Since I can’t really make it to bjj since school started, I will be focusing on striking for the next year. Today I did some rounds of rope skips but mostly just shadow boxing as I feel it targets a majority of my weaknesses better than other solo training methods. I was pretty rusty since I haven’t been striking for a few months and my cardio wasn’t what it used to be after my short layoff from hurting my neck so I have a lot of work to do. I still think I did okay considering the many set backs I have had as of late. I video’d the last round of the day so that my form issues would really stand out.

Good advice on this already given. One other thing that I noticed you tend to do is leaving your rear foot “in the bucket”, aka not stepping it forward and regaining your fighting posture when you have stepped forward with your front foot on a jab. This places your feet in a slightly too wide stance to be able to really shift your weight to your front leg on your straight right as it should. This also hinders your mobility making moving and especially pivoting more difficult. It is also robbing your straight right of some of the mass/power that it should have.[/quote]

Thanks for your input, Sento. It is always appreciated.

Last night I went to bjj. My coach messed his knee up so I was drilling stuff on a dummy. Later on some more guys showed up and I tweaked my knee too. Must be something in the water.

^^^Good submission flow. I personally am not a fan of pure Kesa Gatame for Jiu-Jitsu/ground-fighting and prefer Kazure Kesa Gatame (far hand either underhooking or controlling the biceps), but being a really big strong guy such as yourself can definitely make that position a bear to escape from if you know what you are doing. Study Josh Barnett’s recent match against Dean Lister to get an idea of how a big guy can use Kesa effectively.

Do you know exactly how your knee got tweaked? Was it a sub or during a scramble/positional change? Hope it feels better soon.

My coach does bjj and catch wrestling, so he tends to teach his students the style of techniques that work best for them. In my case, I definitely gravitate towards the catch wrestling style which is probably due to my build. I also find myself in a side mount/scarf hold position in almost every roll so we have been focusing on getting there and what to do once I am there for quite a while now. I do the scarf hold with double underhooks but I usually am just baiting them to reach up with their hand so I can grab it, go back to side mount and work my “windshield wiper” submission flow (americana, straight arm lock, kimura, spinning arm bar or step-over kimura)

I landed on my knee when doing a guard pass and felt a sharp pain in the medial aspect. Clinically, I am almost positive it is a minor MCL strain. It will heal and I ordered some wrestling knee pads to prevent future occurrences. I am still able to lift and do kickboxing drills with no pain.

I landed on my knee when doing a guard pass and felt a sharp pain in the medial aspect. Clinically, I am almost positive it is a minor MCL strain. It will heal and I ordered some wrestling knee pads to prevent future occurrences. I am still able to lift and do kickboxing drills with no pain.

Sorry so many messages lol. Keeping someone in place with your hand under their head comes down to 2 things imo; trapping their head and pinning them with weight. So I grab my right thigh with my right hand, turn my right foot slightly upside down so the ball of my foot is touching the ground and lift hips slightly off the ground so all of my weight is on the side of my ribs and right on their sternum.

Even little guys feel l8ke an anvil on your chest when they get it right. I sure you probably already know all of this but I am just stating how I make it work because you do give away an underhook to take this position…

Yes, all important positional details that I teach as well. It can be a great pin for sure, especially if you are heavy and know how to use your weight. Also makes perfect sense to have you work your sub flows from there if you end up there all the time. When you go Kimura in that flow, how do you prefer to do it (Kimura Control style, leg over the head, on your knees, etc…)?

Do you ever drills attacks on the near arm (step over armbar, leg Americana, leg armbar, arm crush, or wrist lock)?

When I get Kimuras I almost always get them the same way. I will transition from scarf hold to side mount and will purposely give them a little too much space. They sense the space and try to turn on their side towards me. I get a kimura grip on their wrist, drop my chest on them and dance around to their backside. I will get a full kimura grip from there and then I step over their head with my knee, being sure that I turn and pin their head in the process. Then I finish the kimura.

If they have a really good grip and I can’t break their arm free I will dig my elbow in their ribs until they give it to me or I will go for an extended armbar or the step over kimura where I step behind them and roll to my back. I usually don’t have to though. If I can get their head really turned and pinned with my knee it is hard for them to keep a grip

Makes sense. Do you ever hit the wrist lock from there or arm scissors/biceps slicer/arm crush? With your size and strength I would expect that arm crush to be a nasty sub for you and a lot of people never expect the wrist lock. A leg scissors choke would probably also be a hellacious technique for you with your leg strength that can be easily incorporated in that flow.

If what you are doing is working for you though, then keep at it.

Edited because autocorrect sucks.